PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Reading Lanes

acdunker
10-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Over the last week I have had a big problem at the bowling house. The first two weeks with the Strom VE were remarkable. Set new high series for myself, and raised averages 10 pins in each league. However, last Wednesday, I noticed the ball breaking too soon. A guy on the team we were bowling against said we talked ourselves into believing the lanes were bad. I was able to adjust the last game to finish with a 203 after opening with a 157 and 17x, however it just didn't feel right on release. Went Sunday with my daughter and bowled a couple games for our league we are in, and same thing. Balls were hooking too soon. Shot in the 130s both games. I was able to lob the ball starting the in the 2nd game to help and get the right spot, but it was too late to make up any ground. Now to last night. It was the worst I have bowled in about 12 years, and I just started bowling again last summer after a 10 year hiatus. I bowled a 364 series! Right lane would start breaking about 20 feet in. Lobbing it down the lane helped a little, but not enough. Adjusted my approach to get it further down the lane to no avail. Speed didn't help as my ball speed at pins is between 17.5-18.8 mph. Using thumb didn't help (taught myself to hook ball years ago with no thumb and plastic ball, but practicing last 6 months to use thumb to be more consistent). I finally gave up with the hook and revs and just started throwing it straight at the pocket (don't usually like to try this as ball speed straight is between 20.5-21.8 mpg, and consistency isn't always there).

So I need help as to what I can do next time this comes up. The left lane was better, but still had to adjust to get the right action, and then didn't have the pin carry as I usually left the 10 pin. It was just me on these lanes as the other team has a hook bowler and his ball would break at the same point. Only difference is when his broke, it just went straight down the lane.

Motiv Girl
10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
I hope this article can help.It is from Joe Slowinski Master Coach at Kegel.
The article is Advanced Targeting.http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=46

Also from this section you should read, 1. Lane Play:Moving Smart & Often
2.The Myth of Carrydown:How Lanes Really Transition. They are also by Joe Slowinski.

These articles are a lot better than trying to explain what you should try or do.They should help you
understand how to deal with lane changes and how to play them.
Best of Luck.

gparks
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
reading lanes is very difficult to teach,my big thing i tried recently in practice is to have two completly different lines. so you have a back-up if my regular 2nd arrow shot goes craps. also having a " full roller" drilled ball .something that is drilled with little backend just a nice gentle roll to the pocket.

if your ve is drilled aggressive. try a lesser ball drilled nuetral .i have a virtual gravity drilled to snap.then a dimension drilled close to the gravity but polished ,it is about 4-5 boards weaker so when the 2nd 3rd game comes around ill grab the dimension and normally keep my sweet 2 arrow shot and its not so much adjusting.

my 2nd line is about 30 board start on appoach hitting center arrow ill normally speed up a bit and it comes in ok.still working on this and havnt really used it much on league nights,but some nights i cant find the pocket at all no ryhme or reason to it.its why i love the game soo much its a challenge:)

Stormed1
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
As Motiv Girl said the article will help you a lot with reading lanes. One thing that probably happened if you live in a colder climate is the oil disapates faster when the furnaces come on. You will most likely have to move your feet and target left to catch more oil

acdunker
10-27-2009, 02:10 PM
I'll read the article to see how it will help.

Even the less aggressive balls just broke off way too quickly last night. More than any ever has.

Definately don't live in a cost climate. Central Texas is still looking around 70 for a high today.

Mellen
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Check out the Spring 2009 USBowler mag. A great article by Lou Marquez (USBC Gold Coach) on how to read any lane in 7 shots.

Strike Domination
10-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Reading lanes is one of those things in bowling that is probably best learned through experience. In my opinion, it takes a special skill to teach it, so you have to go by what you see from your ball as it goes down the lane. That's my take on it.

Motiv Girl
10-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Okay guys,here are four more articles .
Two by Ron Clifton .http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip27.htm http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip24.htm

Two by Susie Minshew. http://www.strikeability.com/secret5.php http://www.strikeability.com/secret6.php

gparks
10-28-2009, 01:11 PM
all four are really good reads thanks motiv girl,i have looked at some of those two before but didnt see these 4 yet .they really explain things so that a dummy like me can grasp it :D

acdunker
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the help. Had another one of those kind of nights last night though. Lanes were working pretty good. Struck on the right lane to start, then left 10 pin in the second and spared the third. Left another ten pin in the fourth and spared the 5th. Struck out from there to finish with a 214. Wasn't even sure I would get a 200 game after how I started. Second game was total crap. Good action on the ball and lane, but pins failed to carry for me. Left two and three pins on many occasions and for some reason had a problem picking up spares, which usually isn't even a thought for me. Finished this one with a whopping 104!. Last game started hitting my spares but still no strikes until the 8th frame. The ball was hitting flush and with force, but the pins just were not cooperating with my intentions. Finished the third game with a 140.

Another frustrating night, but at least at had the strike ball doing what I wanted, just wasn't getting the right results.

Stormed1
10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Keep in mind you should watch your ball motion all the way through the pin deck as that will help you make the right adjustments for carry.

Jord_84
10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
I had this problem last week. I was practicing on a sport shot for an ABT tourney (short pattern). To handle the ball breaking early I moved 5 boards left of the center dot and shot second arrow with my virtual gravity. Putting my ball at more of an outward angle at the breaking point was the key to dealing with the short pattern. It went out, hit the breaking point, and went into a beautiful driving roll into the pocket.