PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys aim?

extraacount
10-28-2009, 11:43 PM
For me, I usually am squared to my target and then at around when I'm about to release I look down at the dots by the foul line and throw my ball... I imagine in my head that my wrist is angled / pointing in the direction of where the ball is going and it works pretty consistently for my me. Whenever I try to look at the arrows on the lanes I either throw my ball completely straight at the arrow in front of me or miss the arrow I was looking at.

Which way is better? My way or looking at the target? Why is it better?

What do you guys do? How do you aim?

Graaille
10-29-2009, 05:29 PM
The best way is . . . . whatever works consistantly for you. There are a lot of different ways of aiming, each has their strong and weak points. I know a couple of people who aim consistantly for the 5 pin - doesn't even look at the lane at all. But in answer to your question - where I aim depends on how far I want the ball to go down the lane before it makes a run to the pocket. The closer to the foul line I target, the closer to me the ball makes it's move. I think it's a bit more psychological in that the farther away you target, the more 'ummmmph' you put on the ball to ensure that it gets to the target. (ummmmph being a highly respected bowling term used in many scholarly dissertations - trust me.)

Instead of targeting the arrows - next time (if you're bowling on Brunswick Pro Anvilane) target the markers that are 40 feet downlane - target them consistantly for about 10 games. After that, then target the arrows and it'll seem a bit easier.

Strike Domination
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm a little confused about which dots you target. Did you mean the ones right in front of the foul line(so you're looking straight down when you slide) or the ones about 5 feet down the lane?

I personally target the arrows but maybe I should try something closer to see if it helps keep me from hitting up on the ball or trying to throw it hard. I try to stay square to my target either way.

extraacount
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
I look at the dots in front of the foul line at release and then look up to see the ball traveling down the lane

Jord_84
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I agree with graaille. When it comes to something like that, there's no "right" way. Some people prefer to look at the pins, I myself, prefer the arrows. If your comfortable doing it your way, and it works for you...then stick with it.

Maine Man
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I have always live by the motto, "it's easier to hit something that's closer to you". So, when I bowl, I look down at the dots at the end of the approach until I get to the foul line (as they are the closest target to me). Then, as I release the ball, I pick my head up and watch where my ball crosses the dots at the 10ft. mark, as well as the arrows at the 15ft. mark afterwards. That is how I do it, but there is no real right or wrong way, just pick a way that you can do consistently and stick with it.

pocketsplit
11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Read this post a while back with casual interest since I have always been a spot bowler at the arrows.

However, the past few months have been in a rut having trouble hitting them properly.

In the league this AM same old problem but this post came to mind and I changed in the second game aiming at the deck and Woo Hoo, bowled two games 30 pins over my avg. My strike ball was ''much more'' consistent. Spares the same improvement.

It seemed my alignment and arm swing ""down the line"' kept the ball in the proper groove.

Thanks for the Post, these little discussion forums do really work,

Stormed1
11-10-2009, 11:42 PM
II use the arrows and a target area down lane at my intended breakpoint, If i;m bowling on a surface without the downlane rangefinders i will pick out a dark board for a reference point of where i want the ball to be downlane

gparks
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
im a arrow aimer but i agree with its what works for you,just be consistant with what you aim at .and it will fall into place