PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Illinois!

gfdengine204
10-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Howdy folks! Since I am posting here, I guess that makes me a new member. I'm Kevin, and live about an hour west of Chicago. Thought I would get my first post out of the way, and introduce myself at the same time.

I am 8 weeks into my first full-time league. One of my co-workers asked if I could fill an empty slot on their 5-person mixed team. Only stipulation was I have to get at LEAST the 150/game vacant bowler score. My first week, I bowled a 450 series. :rolleyes: Go figure. Since then, I have been studying once a week with a coach, gotten some better balls, and have increased my average to 161. Best game so far, a 212, and best series a 537 (158-176-203). I really am enjoying it.

After a couple weeks throwing some balls I had owned for quite a while (16# Reactive Power Grooves), my coach asked if I would be interested in a 15# Hammer The Sauce he had; it would cost me just to have it plugged and drilled. $40. How could I refuse. Picked up a Maxim plastic ball in 15# also for spares. 5 weeks later, I'm calling the coach and ordering a JigSaw. I REALLY like that ball! My first night with the JigSaw was the night I threw my best series. I'm hoping to continue to improve tomorrow night.

I had to take last week off after injuring my Achilles tendon while refereeing basketball; after a week of physical therapy, I think I am back to where I can bowl. As long as I don't run. ;)

Hope to learn much here, and someday to be able to help others learn too.

Jord_84
10-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the boards fellow Illinoisan!

Maine Man
10-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Welcome Kevin, it is always exciting to hear from new bowlers and site members. Everyone here is very approachable and helpful, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck in the sport of bowling, it is a lifelong addiction once you get hooked!!!

gfdengine204
10-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Jordan, James, thanks for the warm welcome!

Stormed1
10-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the "family" Kevin. What center do you bowl at?

gfdengine204
10-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Welcome to the "family" Kevin. What center do you bowl at?

Bill, thanks. I am currently bowling at the Illinois Valley SuperBowl in Peru, IL. Going to try my hand at my local lanes (Idle Hour Lanes in Sandwich, IL) for a Thanksgiving 9-pin singles tournament in November.

poflobo
11-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Kevin! I agree with Maine Man. You're addicted and from the sound of it, doing quite well.

Have fun here and if you need anything... just ask.:D

kev3inp
11-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Well , another Kevin and from Illinois, no less. I think there are a lot of bowling Kevins. We get our share. Way back when I was in Peru camping with my Boy Scout troop. Being little kids we kept asking where Lake Titicaca was. We though it was hilarious. Welcome aboard.

gfdengine204
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
BOHON, Kev, thanks! Addictied? Yup, sure am. Between this and my other "addiction" (Radio control aircraft), I keep busy. Too bad work keeps interfering.

Went for some practice today; they changed the pattern a couple weeks ago and it has been maddening for us. threw 4 serious practice games, then 1 game of trying different things and 1 game of corner pin practice. My current average is up to 160; I threw a 189 and a 165 with my new JigSaw, and a 191 and 217 with The Sauce. Dang those felt good. The 217 had 1 open frame in the 3rd, followed by a 5-bagger. What a blast. :)