PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Cell Review

jmartin27407
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Layout:
55x5x35 (no hole)
(pin above middle, MB in the thumb)
Surface changed to 4000 no polish

When laying this ball out, I was really looking for something that would handle carry down better than my other balls. The specs on this ball pretty much told me that the Mutant Cell was a very good pick for this so I basically went with one of my favorite layouts.

What a great surprise this ball is. The Cytoplasmic XL cover allowed this ball to get cleanly down lane especially for a solid. (I normally change my cover surface on most balls before I throw it, hence the 4000 surface). I knew the cover would not be a issue just with the success I have had with my Rogues and the cover is the same just without the pearl additive that makes the Rogue a hybrid. The new core that the Mutant uses it what I was most interested in. This is a fast revving core which really translates into a really heavy/continuous motion on the back part of the lane. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

While testing this ball in league (40 ft house pattern) I was able to stay in the same part of the lane for a much longer period of time than I normally can. To makes things even better as the lanes started to break down my ball reaction actually became better as I started to migrate left. My carry percentage was absolutely amazing, as the really heavy rolling motion kept the pins low. (actually tripped about 4 4pins which is not typical for my higher rev game.) I never had to change balls the entire night and moved a total of 6 boards with my feet and 3 with my eyes. Normally I will move at least 10 to 12 with my feet.

If you are looking for something to add to your arsenal for medium to heavy patterns or if you are just a Roto fan you are going to want to pick one of these up. It is a completely different ball motion than anything in the current line. The Mutant Cell is a very exciting release and is going to a favorite among many types of players.

Jimmy Martin
River Lanes Pro Shop
Titusville FL
Roto-Grip Staff

BHalstrom
11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I fully agree with Jimmy's review of the Mutant Cell. Here are the specs and review of my Roto Grip Mutant Cell:

Pin to PAP(4 1/2" over 1/2" up) - 5"
Mass Bias from PAP - 4 5/8"
Balance Hole - None
Surface Preparation - Left at Box Finish (2000-grit Abralon)

What I was looking for in this layout: The 5” pin placement from my PAP generally gives me a predictable reaction, good length and strong backend performance. I drilled this similar to my Rogue Cell to get a comparison of what the Mutant could do. Roto Grip redesigned their popular Nucleus core to enable quicker revving down the lane while the Cytoplasmic XL solid reactive coverstock produces more friction than any previous Cell. I was expecting this layout to give me a stronger overall reaction all the way through the lane.

What I ended up with in this layout: After throwing a handful of shots, I was very impressed with the amount of reaction the Mutant Cell delivered on the lanes. With the Cytoplasmic XL Solid reactive coverstock, I knew I was going to receive a large amount of reaction through the entire shot. I was not expecting the amount of reaction it delivered at the breakpoint though. Combined with the new Nucleus II core, this ball didn't hesitate to rev up hard and make a left turn at the breakpoint. It is definitely more angular for me than I expected. Compared to my Rogue Cell, I would say that I get at least another 5-6 boards of reaction.

I tested the Mutant Cell on Kegel's Easy Street pattern which is 38'. With the amount of reaction and recovery room this ball had to offer, I was able to stand on the 40th board and swing the ball out to 7 at the breakpoint. I had no worries missing right. I can tell this ball is going to be one of my favorites just from the amount and speed of messengers I'm throwing!

If you're looking to throw the Mutant on medium oiled patterns or patterns with less head oil, I would recommend polishing the solid coverstock to assist energy conservation down the lane.

If you're looking for reaction on medium to heavier oil patterns, the Mutant Cell is your ball. The best part about Roto Grip's Cell line is that these balls are driller friendly. Whether you're a cranker, stroker, or left-handed (just kidding), the Cell line of balls simply works. Proven reaction time after time. Just be careful, the Mutant Cell has been known transform perfectly good bowling hands into wicked striking machines.

SenorRotoGrip
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Simply put, the new Mutant Cell is a Cell on mega steroids. Want backend that is controlled and drives through the pins?? Mutant Cell is the way to go.

I drilled my Mutant using a 5" pin/pap, MB 3" from pap, with a 3" pin buffer. I bowled a game with it after I finished a PBA league on the scorpion 41' pattern. This Mutant was too strong out of the box for that 41'. I used a 4000 abralon pad on a spinner and, voila, perfect. I used it on a 41' house pattern and shot 704 (246-255-203) in the first block of our state senior tournament. I changed pairs and shot 280 out the gate to begin the 2'nd block, but then the Mutant had to be put away as the shot broke down.

Surface adjustment for your style and the lane condition you will be using the Mutant on is important to get the pin driving most, out of this ball. Out of the box at 2000 abralon will work on heavier volumes and longer patterns, but you may need to go to a 4000 surface for lighter volume, longer patterns. In summation, the Mutant is a tremendous complement to the original Cell.