PDA

View Full Version : unsolicited advice?

Jord_84
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I've noticed an increase in beginners joining our community, and one thing we keep telling them is to ask questions. So what is everyones opinion when it comes to advice? I never offer advice unless someone asks for it. Likewise, it used to drive me nuts when someone would try to coach me when I never asked for help.
So what's your take? Is it rude to say something without first being asked? Do you get annoyed when someone offers you advice you didn't ask for?
I'll take unsolicited advice if it comes from a person who's knowledge I trust...but I have gotten some terrible advice in the past.

Graaille
11-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Always consider the source. If the advice is coming from a person who's brought one ball to league and plays both in and out equally well - I'd listen. If the advice is coming to someone who brings 7 balls to league and plays one area and averages under 170 . . . . nod and say 'thanks' and promptly forget it.

poflobo
11-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I've noticed an increase in beginners joining our community, and one thing we keep telling them is to ask questions. So what is everyones opinion when it comes to advice? I never offer advice unless someone asks for it. Likewise, it used to drive me nuts when someone would try to coach me when I never asked for help.
So what's your take? Is it rude to say something without first being asked? Do you get annoyed when someone offers you advice you didn't ask for?
I'll take unsolicited advice if it comes from a person who's knowledge I trust...but I have gotten some terrible advice in the past.

Always consider the source. If the advice is coming from a person who's brought one ball to league and plays both in and out equally well - I'd listen. If the advice is coming to someone who brings 7 balls to league and plays one area and averages under 170 . . . . nod and say 'thanks' and promptly forget it.

Some folks are too embarrassed to ask, some don't want to be told and some won't do what they're told even if they asked for help. Lol.

People here will have to ask for help with problems, but it might be easier to do because they aren't dealing with anyone face to face.

Me personally, if I'm asked and I don't know, I'll point them to someone who does. On the other hand, If some one sees a problem I have, I'll take any advice I can get. But, as you implied, you have to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

Strike Domination
11-05-2009, 02:13 AM
I've had some decent bowlers try to give me advice and in my opinion it's not often that I get good advice. One time I got a "lecture" and I just wasn't feeling that. It's one thing if I ask but usually, I'm not ready to receive advice just because someone sees something wrong. Sometimes I give advice to people on my team but I try to make it a habit to ask someone if they mind me giving them my opinion before doing so.

mrbill
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM

I Bowl on a PBA sun league and I got on a team with a couple, They both have avg's under 120 and they have been bowling for a few years I'm told.
My point is they never ask for advice and it seems they get aggravated when anyone try's to give them any!
Even the Other teams try to help them, and They give good advice but my team mates never listen.
I will help them if they ask so for now I will just keep striking till then...

mike-boogie
11-06-2009, 01:00 AM
I think one major thing to get across to new bowlers is lane etiquite. Most are not aware of bowling at the same time next to eavh other. I wish alleys would post something about etiqute. my 2 cents

gparks
11-07-2009, 06:12 AM
it is hard to give /recieve advice ,even harder if you havent been around a person much.i take all advice into consideration,and i have low bowler self esteem issues as it is.it is hard to just throw advice out but if asked ill talk/show them everything i know.its that first 3-5 seconds in asking/giving advice that is rough after that im good.

my main thing is to enjoy bowling i have had very bad nights and walked out of the center glad i went i look at it as training for my next good night.

but to answer the ? yeah unsolicited advice and sometimes the way its given is very annoying.

crump582
01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I can't really answer for bowling... as I'm not good and nobody I've bowled with has been good enough to offer advice, but in other things I am pretty skilled.

I think it comes down to the advice. For instance there is some advice that is pretty set in stone (golf: keep you head down) and other stuff that is preference (golf: grip technique).

I feel like it is good to offer advice that is common knowledge that someone is messing up on, but don't put your spin (preference) on your advice.

That's how I feel anyway!

Gio
01-29-2010, 11:50 AM

I only offer my assistance live(on the lanes) advice if another bowler asks me or if the said bowler is struggling and throwing a fit because he can't figure out the condition on the lanes. The key to bowling good is to keep your cool and apply rational thinking. Most of the mistakes made on the lane are not related to the ball you are using but the operator errors in your mechanics throughout. People do get lucky from time to time but luck runs out after time and you only can rely on knowing what to do when the lanes transition and using different hand postitions, speed controls, and accuracy are a must. My stepfather(An old school great bowler in his own right) used to call bowling "The insaine man's sport" because the goal on every 1st shot on a lane is to do the same thing mechanicaly and accurately to strike.....every time. Walter Ray Williams is the best in the world because he embraced this concept. So the point is if people want advice on the lane or in here I am happy to give it but understanding those couple of points I just made above will make a world of difference in your game. Just throwing that out there

Phil
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
well answering as a new guy to the game, some random older gentlemen at the bowling alley helped me increase my average bye like 15 pins, just by explaining that if your ball is hitting to far right, to scoot right as opposed to left as i thought it was..... and that was unsolicited, but then i am a guy who is willing to learn and do just about anything to get better at whatever it is i am doing....

Strike Domination
01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Gio, would you happen to be a coach, or do you just know a fair amount about the game?

I agree with your thinking that mechanics are the cause of most errors, not the ball or the lane. I normally do not like it when someone tells me where to play the lane. I would rather get constructive advice on my physical game.

WAC4504
01-29-2010, 10:41 PM
I would rather be told what I'm doing wrong, than give advise no how to work with a bad habit. That's why I will tell some one what I see them doing not how to fix it,unless they ask how to fix it. Good luck and good bowling
Bill

owlish
03-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't give advice since I'm new. I recently got some pointers from a USBC certified coach and one of the pointers was just that, consider the source. My personal motto is "only if they ask" for advice and that I definitely know and can say why I know. Simple 'nuff.