PDA

View Full Version : No love for the two fingered bowler?!

mike-boogie
11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I find it hard that many, many people are so negative bout two fingered bowling(no thumb). I have continued to excell and even gotten advise from pro staff to keep doing what works 4 me. suggestions??

Drano
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I used to bowl 2-fingered, I ended up getting to a 156 average before I switched to using my thumb

mike-boogie
11-05-2009, 10:49 PM
It's just so hard to switch when you're so comfortable doing something one way. I've talked with aaron in the shop there and had my balls drilled to match how I throw. Just weird that ppl r so against

poflobo
11-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I know 2 guys in our league that bowl that way... one all the time and the other when he wants more revs. As long as your wrist can hold out, more power to ya. Whatever you need to do to score... do it!

Stormed1
11-06-2009, 06:13 PM
As long as USBC allows the great wall of china the average no thumber will flourish. If the shot ever changes it will require more accuracy and many will suffer major average loss. As it is with people who throw a "normal" fingertip grip there are those in both styles that are reasonably accurate and they will survive in tougher conditions. There is no right or wrong way as far as no thumb vs thumb, However there is a reason why there are so few no thumbers out on tour

Strike Domination
11-06-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd bowl no thumb or two handed if I could do it without all those revs, and also learn how to control the ball roll.

There are two guys in my league that bowl no thumb that I know of.

Jord_84
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't have anything against 2 finger bowlers. One guy on my team this year bowls 2 finger. We love giving him a hard time tho. He'll throw a crazy ball, leave a split and come back saying "what happened?!"

Our usual reply is "your thumb wasn't in the ball!"

All in good fun :D

JaxBowlingGuy
11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
im no thumb... But i have been doing it for about 6 years now so I have it down pretty good.. I also throw with a thumb too late in tournament squads when the lanes dry up or when i just dont wanna play the big hook.. So I can actually throw either, but I stick primarly without.. I look at it as if you can mater both you will be untouchable... thumb out for the longer heavier patterns and thumb in when they are toast... I can do anything without a thumb that someone with one can do.. I can adjust revs, its not all one speed.. different hand positions and arm slots..

acdunker
11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
im no thumb... But i have been doing it for about 6 years now so I have it down pretty good.. I also throw with a thumb too late in tournament squads when the lanes dry up or when i just dont wanna play the big hook.. So I can actually throw either, but I stick primarly without.. I look at it as if you can mater both you will be untouchable... thumb out for the longer heavier patterns and thumb in when they are toast... I can do anything without a thumb that someone with one can do.. I can adjust revs, its not all one speed.. different hand positions and arm slots..

I'm the same way. Taught myself to hook a ball with two fingers and a cheap plastic ball. Started league last year and began the same way, just took a little to find my spot as I didn't bowl in nearly 10 years. I am the anchor for our team, and once I set an average, I usually bowl in the high 5s and lower 6s for series. I have been practicing using the thumb, but use a fingertip grip for either setting. I throw the same speed (unless I am throwing it straight for a spare, and then its a few mph faster), and can get the same revs either way. I am more comfortable with my targeting using two fingers, so it is my normal way. Once the lanes start breaking down by the third game (bowl on the late leagues), I will switch to using the thumb if I get better control and less movement.

kev3inp
11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Well, God gave me a thumb, so by golly, I'm using it. If you really want to go two finger, why not go old school? Middle finger and thumb as in the olden days. ;) Don't worry about style. It's not how, it's how many.

venividivici526
11-24-2009, 07:35 PM
I average 200 with no thumb, but i am unique in that i throw a back up ball accurately at 10 pins(95% vs 50% conventional) i hate the myth that you cant throw accurately with 2 fingers, its just not true when i throw a bad ball its generally because of poor footwork on my approach!

I have never had a lesson, ive done alot of studying and i record myself to see what changes need to be made!

I also hate hearing the arguement that there are no pro's throwing 2 finger for a reason!

The reason for this is because most the pros on tour have had a coach their whole lives who have tought them to bowl 3 finger, and we can all agree that virtually no coaches in the land teach the 2 finger method!

mike-boogie
11-25-2009, 11:00 PM
exactly! I just wish people were more open to two fingered bowling. Sometimes it's made out to be wrong. I've heard there was a old school bowler in the old days who won in the pba bowling two fingers

ecub
11-28-2009, 09:55 PM
I have no issues with no thumb bowlers. Just some bowlers complain about their balls hooking way too much and always hitting brooklyn and blame the house, so they start swearing and kicking the ball return. Then end up picking and throwing a 8 pound house ball so they can throw it faster, but with it being so light, it just gets deflected.

Drano
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I have no issues with no thumb bowlers. Just some bowlers complain about their balls hooking way too much and always hitting brooklyn and blame the house, so they start swearing and kicking the ball return. Then end up picking and throwing a 8 pound house ball so they can throw it faster, but with it being so light, it just gets deflected.

they need to lern2adjust

Stormed1
11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
The old school PBA bowler who won was Mike Miller and that was back in the urethane days. When reactives became the norm he went back to 3 fingers for more control. The no love is not for those who are willing to work on their game and get good. It's more about the 60 or 70 percent that spray and pray on house walls and then think they are good.

lefty
11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Ya, i don't use my thumb either. I have been bowling with a curve w/no thumb for over a year now and most of my games are 200 or over........People tell me all the time that i should go pro....But i have not been bowling with a curve long enough to try that. Plus i have lots of high games between 250-280, but i won't consider my self to be good, until i get a 300 game......

Strike Domination
11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
People tell me all the time that i should go pro....But i have not been bowling with a curve long enough to try that. Plus i have lots of high games between 250-280, but i won't consider my self to be good, until i get a 300 game......

I've gotten that comment before, just take it with a grain of salt as it's usually people who are not as good as you saying that. The other reason not to go pro is if you have your fair share of low games as well. I wouldn't consider even doing regionals unless I average at least 220 on house shots, that's just me though.

I don't bowl no-thumb but I've thought about it. The two main concerns to me are control of the ball and ball speed. Plus if I can I prefer the down-and-in shot and the revs that come with no-thumb bowling will make that pretty difficult.

mike-boogie
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
thanks for all the posts! I know that the consistent shots r not there, but with practice can be effective enough to be a good bowler. I never blame the house, but always look to improve on mistakes.

lefty
11-30-2009, 01:43 AM
I've gotten that comment before, just take it with a grain of salt as it's usually people who are not as good as you saying that. The other reason not to go pro is if you have your fair share of low games as well. I wouldn't consider even doing regionals unless I average at least 220 on house shots, that's just me though.

I don't bowl no-thumb but I've thought about it. The two main concerns to me are control of the ball and ball speed. Plus if I can I prefer the down-and-in shot and the revs that come with no-thumb bowling will make that pretty difficult.
Well, after finding out how much stuff costs, i could never go Pro anyway....lol..I didn't realize how much stuff costs to go on tour and stuff.........
On another note, people keep telling me to join a league, but why do that and bowl 3 games? That just gets me warmed up for the night.....I'm used to bowling on Cosmic bowl on Saturday nights and bowl about 10-15 games for only 14.00.............

Strike Domination
11-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Yeah that is a good deal. The benefit of league is basically competition, chances to make a little money, and the social aspect of it. Plus there's awards and tourneys. But, whatever you decide to do with your money is obviously up to you.

And yeah I noticed the tour tourneys cost a bunch but I think if you're sponsored you don't pay for it out of your pocket. I'm not exactly sure how it all works though.

CrazieEddie
11-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Well, after finding out how much stuff costs, i could never go Pro anyway....lol..I didn't realize how much stuff costs to go on tour and stuff.........
On another note, people keep telling me to join a league, but why do that and bowl 3 games? That just gets me warmed up for the night.....I'm used to bowling on Cosmic bowl on Saturday nights and bowl about 10-15 games for only 14.00.............

A league can be more competitive. In a league, there's usually fresh oil, compared to open bowling, when most of the oil is already gone. Some leagues may have different oil patterns as well, compared to THS (Typical House Shot). In the leagues I'm in, I have a book average of about 192. My highest game being a 279, which I've only reached once. During open bowling, I would say my average is about 250, with several 300's.

Leagues are also fun. Some leagues allow beer or food frames, where if everyone in your team gets a strike on any or certain frame, everyone in your team will get a free drink or food order. We even pressure each other in our team, like if everyone strikes, except for you, then you HAVE to pay for the drink or food order for your team.

Being in a league is competitive. There's nothing like being the anchor and HAVING to strike on the last ball on the 10th frame to win.

A league is also rewarding. Most leagues give awards for the teams, so the money you spent doesn't go to waste. As mentioned, there are many awards given to bowlers who excel. A league may give extra money at the end of the season for the person with the highest score, series score, etc. Plus if you bowl 11 strikes in a row, a 300 game, or even 800 series, it will be posted on bowl.com, which is an official bowling website. Also for the 300 game, you will also be given a ring.

So sure you can brag to your friends that you bowled a 300 during an open bowling night. Unless they are there with you, they probably won't believe you, unless you carry the printout of your score around, which is kind of idiotic. But imagine wearing a 300 ring around and having people go to bowl.com for verification.

Usually after bowling is when the competition REALLY starts. I used to be in a league that after our league finished, we would bowl each other individually or as a team for money.

lefty
11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
A league can be more competitive. In a league, there's usually fresh oil, compared to open bowling, when most of the oil is already gone. Some leagues may have different oil patterns as well, compared to THS (Typical House Shot). In the leagues I'm in, I have a book average of about 192. My highest game being a 279, which I've only reached once. During open bowling, I would say my average is about 250, with several 300's.

Leagues are also fun. Some leagues allow beer or food frames, where if everyone in your team gets a strike on any or certain frame, everyone in your team will get a free drink or food order. We even pressure each other in our team, like if everyone strikes, except for you, then you HAVE to pay for the drink or food order for your team.

Being in a league is competitive. There's nothing like being the anchor and HAVING to strike on the last ball on the 10th frame to win.

A league is also rewarding. Most leagues give awards for the teams, so the money you spent doesn't go to waste. As mentioned, there are many awards given to bowlers who excel. A league may give extra money at the end of the season for the person with the highest score, series score, etc. Plus if you bowl 11 strikes in a row, a 300 game, or even 800 series, it will be posted on bowl.com, which is an official bowling website. Also for the 300 game, you will also be given a ring.

So sure you can brag to your friends that you bowled a 300 during an open bowling night. Unless they are there with you, they probably won't believe you, unless you carry the printout of your score around, which is kind of idiotic. But imagine wearing a 300 ring around and having people go to bowl.com for verification.

Usually after bowling is when the competition REALLY starts. I used to be in a league that after our league finished, we would bowl each other individually or as a team for money.

So when people join a league, do they already know people? Or do u just walk in and say i want to join a league and they just put you with someone?

CrazieEddie
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
So when people join a league, do they already know people? Or do u just walk in and say i want to join a league and they just put you with someone?

Most of the sanctioned leagues have already started, but it still may not be too late to join. You can go to your local bowling alley and see if there are any spots available, which they will probably put you on. Or you can contact several league secretaries to see if a team needs a sub (substitute). If a person on a team can't bowl, they can use their average minus 10 OR bring in a sub if they want. Being a sub, you can bowl AND not have to worry about the weekly league fees. The regular player that you are bowling for will usually cover that.

You can join a league not knowing anyone. You can join a league with a buddy or have a group friends and form your own team. Either way, you will eventually get to know the rest of the people on the league.

The leagues I mentioned where you will get a ring for bowling a 300 game are sanctioned leagues. Sanctioned leagues have specific rules, such as age requirements, number of games allowed, and you need to follow USBC rules. One such rule is, if your ball lands in the gutter, but then bounces out and knocks a pin down, that pin is not counted and must be put back up.

I understand one rule, regarding no thumb bowling, is that your palm must rest over the thumb hole. I'm not sure that if you didn't, if that would be considered like a Foul or what.

lefty
11-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I understand one rule, regarding no thumb bowling, is that your palm must rest over the thumb hole. I'm not sure that if you didn't, if that would be considered like a Foul or what.

What the? I'm not complaining at all, but the heck does that matter where the thumb hole is?...lol
The ball i use is an old 14 ib that a right handed guy gave me, but since i don't use my thumb i guess it doesn't matter that i'm a lefty.........

acdunker
11-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I've never heard of a rule pertaining to a 2 fingered delivery. Jason Belmonte doesn't even have a thumb hole drilled on his bowling balls.

Drano
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
I've never heard of a rule pertaining to a 2 fingered delivery. Jason Belmonte doesn't even have a thumb hole drilled on his bowling balls.

"11.5.4 No Thumb Delivery. If player does not use his or her thumb to deliver the ball, but a thumb hole is drilled, a portion of the thumb or palm must cover the hole on all deliveries."

It doesn't matter in leagues though, it's a pba rule

Also, joining a league, my bowling alley gives you discounts on games.
0 leagues: $2.50/game
1 league: $1.50/game
2 leagues: $1.00/game
3+ leagues: $0.00/game

I'm in 3 leagues :D

lefty
11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
"11.5.4 No Thumb Delivery. If player does not use his or her thumb to deliver the ball, but a thumb hole is drilled, a portion of the thumb or palm must cover the hole on all deliveries."

Dang! Now i have to know why...lol There has to be a reason.....I mean, there is a reason for everything...I just want to know.....lol It makes no sense, but obviously i don't know enough about bowling to understand that......I'm very curious......

CrazieEddie
12-01-2009, 03:04 AM
I have heard from the guy at the pro shop that not placing the thumb or palm over the hole allows more leverage. I'm guessing more crank on the ball.

Stormed1
12-01-2009, 03:28 AM
The other thing about having a thumbhole is it does not kimit your drilling options as much. Without a thumbhole the center of your bridge becomes the center of your grip and there is less imbalance allowed as i recal.As for the comment about Belmonte's grip he is a 2 hander not a no -thumber.

acdunker
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
The other thing about having a thumbhole is it does not kimit your drilling options as much. Without a thumbhole the center of your bridge becomes the center of your grip and there is less imbalance allowed as i recal.As for the comment about Belmonte's grip he is a 2 hander not a no -thumber.

Belmonte still does not have a thumb hole. I remember this from his first television show he made and the comments the broadcasters made.

I don't see much difference between a two-handed bowler and a no thumb. I don't use my thumb most of the time, but I still use my left hand to balance the ball on the down swing and to help push it backwards before I let go. I assume the two handed bowlers leave there other hand on there for better control.

Is that a rule that was quoted as 11.4.5? I have read the entire USBC rules from the website and have not found that rule. The only thing I found was talking about having a balance hole when not using the thumb, and a thumb hole drilled. It stated that all gripping holes must be shown they can actually be used, and not just there to offset any weights.

Drano
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Belmonte still does not have a thumb hole. I remember this from his first television show he made and the comments the broadcasters made.

I don't see much difference between a two-handed bowler and a no thumb. I don't use my thumb most of the time, but I still use my left hand to balance the ball on the down swing and to help push it backwards before I let go. I assume the two handed bowlers leave there other hand on there for better control.

Is that a rule that was quoted as 11.4.5? I have read the entire USBC rules from the website and have not found that rule. The only thing I found was talking about having a balance hole when not using the thumb, and a thumb hole drilled. It stated that all gripping holes must be shown they can actually be used, and not just there to offset any weights.

PBA rule, not usbc rule

acdunker
12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
PBA rule, not usbc rule

I would think most people on this forum bowl in USBC santioned leagues, where this rule wouldn't apply. I just wanted to verify where the rule is enforced so that regular league bowlers like me don't think they have to make sure they should be doing something, when they do not.