PDA

View Full Version : "USED BOWLING BALLS" Would you buy one?

poflobo
11-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Everybody would love to have a new bowling ball. The allure of a new toy, with no holes in it, is almost too much to bear! :D

BUT... Do you buy used bowling balls?
Would you?
Do you think they are outdated?
Ever find a "Diamond in the rough"?

I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Stormed1
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Depends on the ball. Many time i have had a ball that i was interested in but not sure i would match up with it. I would purchase a used ball, plug and drill it. once i threw it if i liked the reaction i would then buy a NIB and drill it. Currently i have 4 used balls in my arsenal (Break,Breaak Point,Clutch,S-75). The Break and S-75 had cut to cut spans same as i use so i just surface filled the holes to change pitches. Clutch I just had to plug thumb to shorten span. Break Point was drilled lefty so i plugged it to try out my new fit before i plug and redrill the thumbs on 11 other balls. Basicall if it has not been plugged too many times and has a pin distance or layout i like i have no problem buying and throwing a used ball

Strike Domination
11-06-2009, 06:53 PM
If it's a ball I want, yes I will buy the ball used. Sometimes it's worth buying used balls to experiment with layouts and things like that.

Stormed1
11-06-2009, 07:19 PM
That's why i bought my second Break Point. I was making a MAJOR change in my fit anad did not want to drill a new ball as an experiment. Shortened my span 1/8 changed pitch from 0 latweal to 1/4 left and reverse from 1/4 to 0

JaxBowlingGuy
11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Everybody would love to have a new bowling ball. The allure of a new toy, with no holes in it, is almost too much to bear! :D

BUT... Do you buy used bowling balls?
Would you?
Do you think they are outdated?
Ever find a "Diamond in the rough"?

I'm curious to hear your opinions.

I buy alot of single drilled used balls... i love ebay for that.. I usually get some really good deals..just takes time and some searching

Graaille
11-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Of all the balls I've bought, I think less than 8 were NIB. The rest were first or even 2nd drills.

kev3inp
11-08-2009, 09:14 AM
I love checking out the used balls on the rack in the pro shop. Sometimes they've got great stuff.

gparks
11-08-2009, 11:20 AM
when i first got back bowling 2 years ago after a 15 year break i went used got a lane 1 cobalt bomb pearl had the thumb plugged and re spanned worked great still have it .. I have 1 new ball since and i sold it. I switched pro shops and one of the owners my same measurements so it works great i have a storm dimension 60 bucks a virtual gravity 60 bucks and just got a cell pearl . He is a pro so goes through bowling balls like i go through big macs he will let me test them before i buy so its perfect for me . me and him throw similar as well (besides he is good) so he can tell me how the ball rolls. When i got the gravity i went in to get a new jigsaw he sold me on the virtual for 140 dollars less plus it has a 300 and 800 series on it so it has history:) when i get better and my money gets better ill buy new but for now im happy as pie with my *junker* used balls

mrbill
11-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I Find people selling used bowling balls on craig's list all the time and some times in bulk, they I forget about them, Like when I found my ICON300 particle ball, it looks 30years old and beat all to hell.
Resurface, roberts youtube wash and its my goto ball after my JigSaw... Now I might bring back my Black Rhino I rolled with 20years ago and my Radical InfernO, (Used)

gfdengine204
12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
When I started league this year, I was bowling with 2 Power Groove 16 pounders, one dull, the other shiny. Decided to take a lesson (and now regularly see my coach), and he said I was probably the only bowler throwing a 16lb ball in the house. He had some Hammer Black Widow demo balls, got one with my span, and said to try it. I lift it and asked what weight was it? 15 pounds, he says. Felt like a feather compared to the PG's. I throw it, and it scatters pins all over. I'm lovin' it. Not to mention, years back, I had an old Red Hammer, and always liked it. So I am really liking this, but can't really afford a new ball. I figure I will save my shekels and get one someday, when my coach says he has a Hammer ball in the shop I can have for the cost of plug-n-drill. It ends up being a Hammer Sauce, and is an awesome ball. So awesome, in fact, one of my teammates is shedding her Hot Sauce and selling it to me for $50. Another $40 to plug and drill, and I got me a nice ball to use at my local house (it's drier than where I currently am in league, and wood lanes). Used balls can be a great deal!

Stormed1
12-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Just added 2 more used to my arsenal today. Traded a NIB sideways for an sx1 and another clutch. Both layouts will work for me so i'll plug the thumbs, put my IT slug in them and my size grips

CrazieEddie
12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Sometimes it's worth buying used balls to experiment with layouts and things like that.

I just did the same. I've always wanted to try out a Rico layout, but I didn't know if it was something I would like. I let my pro shop guy know if a good used ball comes his way that would be a candidate for a Rico layout. A few days later, one of his guys wanted to get a new ball, which was already drilled for Rico. My span was a little short, fortunately, the pin would still be in the general area. After rolling it, I loved it.