PDA

View Full Version : Conventional vs Finger tip grip

wimberlyt
11-07-2009, 02:18 AM
I currently have a 113 average ( bad I know) and currently use a conventional grip with a 15 lb. Tropical Storm and I am considering having my ball redone for a fingertip grip. Is this a good idea? This is my first year on a league. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Strike Domination
11-07-2009, 07:00 AM
If you want to start hooking the ball then go for it. If you're content with the straight ball, then there's not really a need to go to a fingertip drilling. I think the answer you're looking for is, no, it's not too soon to convert.

bowl1820
11-07-2009, 10:23 AM
A conventional grip gives you a firmer hold on a ball. Which is good for control and accuracy, which is why a lot of bowler's start with it.

Now you still can hook a ball with it, just not as powerfully or with the revolutions that you can with a fingertip grip.

Now with a fingertip grip you can get a lot more power and revolutions on a ball, which will generate a lot more pin action.

But for someone starting out you won't have as much control untill you get use to it.

Now should you switch? I'd first would look at how you are bowling now and why your average is low. Are you not striking much? or are you not picking up your spare's? or both?.

While going to fingertip might help you strike more. If your not picking up your spares, it's not going to help that much.

Now I have a new bowler on my mixed league team. He started with a conventional grip plastic ball and he's averaging in the 150's and he's only been bowling 5 weeks.

He throw's it hard and straight with no hook. Now he doesn't strike a lot, but he picks up his spare's with games from 140's to 180's.

Now the 5th week he went to a fingertip grip on his plastic ball.(he didn't like the feel he had with the conventional grip)

Now he still throw's the same hard and straight ball, with very little to no hook and pick's up his spare's. The fingertip's didn't change how he played that much. But He doe's get some more revolution's on the ball.

Plus he moved right and is playing more off the corner and direct at pocket now, which improved his carry some.(He just shot his first 200 game) Not as many deflection leaves (5's, 5-7's etc.)

Now it wouldn't hurt going to fingertip if you want, I started with fingertip. I'd just would look at your game first. Maybe see if someone has a fingertip ball that fit you pretty good give it try first see what you think about it.

Baroncad
11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I currently have a 113 average ( bad I know) and currently use a conventional grip with a 15 lb. Tropical Storm and I am considering having my ball redone for a fingertip grip. Is this a good idea? This is my first year on a league. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to start learning to hook the ball:
Have your Tropical plugged and re-drilled.
Reason being is because the ball was not drilled to hook.
The Tropical is an entry level reactive ball which will allow you to learn on "how to hook a ball".

I know several bowlers who just throw spare balls and have 160 to 180 avg. Practice and getting a little help from a more senior bowler or a coach should do wonders for you, did I mention PRACTICE.

You should be having fun, I along with everyone here have had bad days (or months *cough* me *cough*)
Don't look at your avg and think you need to go to a finger tip grip. If that's what you want great welcome to the family of "hookers".

HAVE FUN, Practice, Practice, Get some help & pointers, and PRACTICE.

Jord_84
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I would say go for it! Your game might suffer short-term while you're getting use to the feel of a finger tip ball...but I think it will improve your game in the long run.

gparks
11-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Right now is a good time to switch,but i would get another ball(even used wouldnt hurt).and have it drilled fingertip and use in practice for awhile until your used to it then implement it in league.if there are decent bowlers on your team or your pro shop guy is in the bowling alley have them give ya some pointers.

i say its a good time cause your fresh to it and it'll be good to do early instead of years down the road becuase you will have a harder time switching.and with a hook you will carry the pins much better,shoot i would even suggest sticking with your conventional ball for awhile on your spares until your comfortable with the fingertip ball .you'll have better accuracy on your very important spares.

and as said above HAVE FUN!!! PRACTICE!!! good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide. there is a ton of good folks here to help you along:cool:

Beech
11-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I say finger tips are really great if you want to hook the ball, I have one reactive ball about the same as urs a Scout Reactive but im currently getting it redrilled with finger tips and there is a HUGE diffrence in the revs you can get with the tips and non tips. It might be best to talk to your pro shop person and see if he can help you out to be honest it didnt take me long to get used tothe tips its just your finger doesnt go straight in the hole not a big deal. BUT PRATICE! its helped me so much.