PDA

View Full Version : Knee pain

wimberlyt
11-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Has anyone here had knee problems after bowling? For the last couple of weeks my left knee has been hurting when I bend it. If I'm walking on it it's fine but if I'm sitting, going up stairs or bending it in general it smarts! I don't know if this makes a difference but I bowl right handed and use a five step approach. After about a week it starts to be normal and then its league night again and it starts all over.The pain is just right of the knee cap. HELP!!

gparks
11-07-2009, 06:00 AM
I as well as many that i know face this problem, most of the time ibuprophen takes care of the sting for me.
one guy on my team wears a brace only when he bowls,it does help him out alot.

sometimes when mine flares up i will try to not bend my knee as much,shoot on a bad night i have no choice the silly thing wont bend:( .if it continues id look into seeing a doctor or physical theripist.

and if your of age and like beer it will cure me by 4-5 beers :) but my speed and aim suffer so i have been doing that less. good luck and hope you get it figured out.

Stormed1
11-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Any time there s ain there is a reason for it. Years ago i stuck real bad and strained my MCL. I ended up wearing a dr ordered brace for the remainder of the season. Took the summer off from bowling and let it heal. So personally i would see a doctor about the pain. The pain will also cause you to alter your delivery and creat some "bad hannits"

Maine Man
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
It could be a strained muscle, torn meniscus, or any other myriad of issues. I would seek out the advice from your doctor, and proceed accordingly. None of us know what is going on inside your body, and we're not qualified to give the correct advice even if we did know the exact problem. Take the guess work out of it, and seek a professional, medical opinion and go from there. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you!!!

kev3inp
11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
For me it's age and old football injuries. Aleve works best for me. Maybe you're now starting to put an improper torsional stress on the joint. Both your doctor and a bowling coach should be brought in.

wimberlyt
11-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks guys! ;)

JaxBowlingGuy
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Well i have the same problem... I am more of a power player though so there is no slide with me... I use like a 1/2 or 2/2 dexter heal and sole... I have been to the doctor for it and have been through many bottles of pain meds.. I will be having knee surgery at the end of the season I am thinking (torn meniscus). It kind of sucks since im still young but well worth it to keep bowling.. As long as i take a pill about an hour before league or bowling im fine. I actually have some "good" pain pills, but when bowling i take the perscription 800mg Motrin...

mrbill
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I had My knee going out on my push off foot. I had to bowl doing the 1 step drill for like 2 weeks!
I did deep knee bends and Lunges. It's all good now, even tho I need to keep working out so that I wont keep getting weak after game 2. I throw it hard.

Jord_84
11-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I had some knee/hip pain when I got back into bowling. Someone here recommended capzasin. It was explained to me that repeat use of capzasin actually dulls the pain receptors in the area of use. I started putting it on 10 mins before I'd leave for bowling. And about a month later, no more pain. I don't know if I've built up muscle since then, but I've been pain free for over a year.

If you decide to try capzasin...get the roll on applicator and use it very sparingly.

PSBA10
11-10-2009, 11:35 PM
If you are putting excessive stress on your knee, you probably have balance issues at the line. Someone suggested a coach which is a very good idea to correct the problem.

I can say this because I had the same problem several years ago. I visited both my doctor and a coach. My doctor told me to start taking Glucosamine with MSM. He said this was a long term fix, and to use either ibuprofin or Aleve for the immediate pain. The coach got my balance problem corrected and reduced the stress on my knee.

Since about 3 months after both starting the Glucosamine with MSM and the adjustments the coach made, my knee is totally pain free.

wimberlyt
11-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys for all the advice.:D

Motiv Girl
11-11-2009, 12:29 PM
If you have not had previous knee problems before and your left knee is hurting
after bowling it could be caused by a few issues. One of the main culprits of slide knee
problems is poor technique.This is usually caused by.....not getting the ball into the swing
early enough.
When you get the ball into the swing too late,it will make you twist the knee in various
ways to correct your balance at the foul line so that you don't fall over.Another thing
that wreaks havoc with the knees is having the upper body too erect as you are
delivering the ball.
In the setup,the upper body should be leaning over slightly forward to assist you in
keeping a smooth pace and smooth body motion as it moves forward.
Another common reason for problems with the slide knee is having a walk pattern
that sways from side to side during the approach and not in a straight line toward
the finishing spot on the approach.

gfdengine204
11-11-2009, 09:49 PM
When I started league this year (my first full time league, and my first regular bowling ever), I was having some pretty bad pain in my knee and thigh. A few weeks into league, I was reffing basketball and strained my Achilles tendon on my slide (left) foot. The podiatrist ordered rest and physical therapy. I attribute the PT to helping my knee pain easing, due to a couple of the exercises I am now doing. One is lunges; I place my foot on a mini-trampoline, and lunge, bearing weight on the left foot. 3 sets of 10. I also have been balancing on the left foot, 4 sets of 15 second intervals. The therapist explained these exercises help strengthen the stabilizer muscles in the knee area. While they were to help me get relief for my Achilles, I have noticed a marked reduction in pain after bowling. In fact, I rolled 6 games today and hardly have any pain at all.

Just my $.07 (adjusted for inflation).

Strike Domination
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Another common reason for problems with the slide knee is having a walk pattern
that sways from side to side during the approach and not in a straight line toward
the finishing spot on the approach.

What about people who drift in one direction or another, as in they finish on a different board than they started? A lot of people do it, but I'm wondering if that makes them prone to knee problems too.

Motiv Girl
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes,the drifting and not ending on the same board every time can have the same affect.