PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Diabetes Awareness Becomes Priority for Barnes Family

onefrombills
11-07-2009, 02:38 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jerry Schneider | Professional Bowlers Association |
719 Second Avenue, Suite 701 | Seattle, WA 98104
Tel: 800.903.0930 | Fax: 206.332.9722 |jerry.schneider@pba.com| Cell: 262.366.2157

Juvenile Diabetes Awareness Becomes Priority for Barnes Family

PBA to donate $1 from each bowling towel sold to

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation-International

SEATTLE, Wash. (Oct. 30, 2009)--While star bowlers Chris and Lynda Barnes have enjoyed the benefits of remarkable bowling careers, they have also had to adjust to the potential life-changing demands of being a parent of a child who has been diagnosed with a serious lifelong health condition.

The Barnes’ 7-year-old son Troy was diagnosed with type 1 juvenile diabetes in May 2008. In addition to all of the emotions that come with such a discovery, they have been served with a call-to-action that they are eagerly embracing.

Chris and Lynda became aware of changes in Troy’s health in early 2008 when he started to display diabetes-like symptoms that became especially apparent during a trip to Disney World.

“Troy was having to go to the bathroom all the time and I knew at that point something was very wrong,” Lynda said. “When we got back home we took Troy to the doctor for a check-up and that’s when he was diagnosed with type 1 juvenile diabetes.”

The experience inspired the Barneses, who reside in the Dallas suburb of Double Oak, Texas, to become involved in juvenile diabetes awareness. What started as a call for more information quickly turned into Lynda’s appointment to the board of directors of the Dallas chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation-International.

“Before I knew it I was on the board,” Lynda said. “Now, I’m working with the local chapter to see how we can incorporate the bowling industry into bringing awareness to juvenile diabetes.”

Those efforts include a test program administered through The Bowling Foundation to conduct fundraisers at bowling centers, and the Professional Bowlers Association has gotten involved by donating $1 from the sale of every PBA bowling towel during the 2009-10 season to JDRF-I.

“I think working with groups such as the proprietors, PBA, and The Bowling Foundation we can make a big difference,” Lynda said. “Everyone’s involvement has been great so far.”

Now having to deal with everything that comes with a lifetime health affliction like diabetes, Lynda admits that it has had its challenges. But, she says Troy has probably handled it the best.

“When we found out that Troy was going to need insulin injections (through a special pump) for the rest of his life I panicked a little bit, but Troy kind of took it all in stride,” Lynda said.

Fortunately, Troy’s twin brother, Ryan has not been diagnosed with any diabetic symptoms.

Recently, Lynda, a member of the World Bowling Writers Hall of Fame, retired from Team USA after a record 12 appearances on the team, to focus on her family and the juvenile diabetes awareness effort. Chris, a 12-time PBA Tour titlist and 2007-08 PBA Player of the Year, entered his 12th year on Tour this season.

Bowling fans can help the JDRF-I effort by purchasing an official PBA towel for $14.95 by visiting www.pbastore.com<http://www.pbastore.com%0d%20/>.

The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation-International is the leading charitable funder and advocate of type 1 juvenile diabetes research worldwide. The mission of JDRF-I is to find a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research. For more information about juvenile diabetes visit www.strikeoutdiabetes.org<http://www.strikeoutdiabetes.org/>.

About the PBA
The Professional Bowlers Association (PBA) features the best bowlers in the world competing in National, Regional and Senior Tour events and awarded more than $4.3 million in prize money during the 2008-09 Lumber Liquidators PBA National Tour. The organization has more than 4,000 members spanning 13 countries, and nearly one million viewers tune-in to watch the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour every Sunday on ESPN throughout the season. PBA sponsors include Bayer, Brunswick, Etonic, Flomax, GEICO, Go RVing, H&R Block, Lumber Liquidators, Pepsi-Cola and the USBC, among others. For more information on the PBA, log on to www.pba.com<http://www.pba.com/>.

Maine Man
11-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Wow, such sad news for the Barnes family. My thoughts and best wishes are with them and their son, good to hear he was diagnosed early and has a good support system to help adapt his lifestyle accordingly. Hopefully with more awareness and research there can be some real positive breakthroughs in our lifetime!