PDA

View Full Version : Need help on what ball to buy for my son

mike-boogie
12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I need suggestions for what type of ball to buy for my 9yr old son. His average is about 100. Right now he uses an 8lb plastic, but is learning how to hook. Don't wanna buy him somethin to aggressive

mike-boogie
12-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm gonna move him up to 10lbs, but I don't want something too aggressive for him while he learning, but something with a liitle hook. Urethane?? Storm fast? ebonite tornado? any suggestions? thanks

Strike Domination
12-03-2009, 12:49 AM
One of the Urethanes, or a Power Groove is what I'd get for him.

Stormed1
12-03-2009, 02:13 AM
ou could go with acolumbia Scout / AMF Angle or Smoke Both have a basic pancake weightblock. A step up from them would be an Ebonte Tornado / Power Groove / Tropical storn. In 10lb even the mid and higher priced balls only have a pancake weight block

mrbill
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
My advice at that age and at that level, I would get him a ball that Looks k00l.
I know kids at that age love things that look good rather then a dull looking ball that might have a weight block in it.
Look at the Viz a Balls, they have some realy great pictures on them. Just see what your sons fav show or thing is and get the ball that fits.
I Still use my Black Rhino and it has no blocks, and it still hooks.

gparks
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
my buddy has a 12 yr old girl that just started hooking and he went with a tropical storm for her.

and it is 10lb ball she is getting better by the week and the ball has a nice soft roll to the pocket.

she said she wants a virtual gravity next:) she is rolling around 105-110 average in her 2nd year.

good luck with what you get him:)

Mellen
12-04-2009, 04:25 PM
At 9, you really do not want to do too much too early. Instead of teaching him how to hook the ball, work on the basics.

Spot bowling, moving around for spares, knowing when to slow down or speed up.......things like that. Give him some goals to reach for. A turkey gets you a new towel. Having a game with only 1 or 2 open frames gets you some new shoes. a 175 - 200 game gets you that new ball.

Keep it basic though. Don't make him grow up too quick.

mike-boogie
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
For sure, I just feel bad, cuz he hits the pocket alot and his ball just deflects off the pins. He has to hit it just right to strike. I know 10lb is not much more than 8, but it's 2lbs more. Thanks!!

Strike Domination
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Just to throw it out there I believe the 900 Global Link comes with its core in 10lb. It's probably a little more ball than the entry level balls but I thought I'd mention it in case you want something with a core. If not I'd most likely go for a power groove since I think there's solid and pearl versions.

Stormed1
12-07-2009, 06:49 PM
The Link is a stronger ball than htey make it out to be. As is the Tropical Storm. My wife had to drop to 10lb last year from 14 do to an arm injury and her tropical is a hook monster for her. I drilled her an 11lb reactive angle this year and it's much more controlable for her than the Tropical

mike-boogie
12-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I talked 2 my pro shop guy and he suggested a tropical storm and he would drill it conventional. Then when my boy gets used to it, redrill to fingertip. Your thoughts??