PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good house shot ball?

Drano
12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm currently using my storm reign at OOB surface, and when I use it on my house shot leagues, I have to hit my mark perfectly to hit the pocket.

If I miss my mark at the arrows by a two or three boards, left, it will go high/brooklyn, right, it will go half pocket/washout.

All the while, I'm watching some bowlers in a few of my leagues miss their marks by 3-5 boards either direction, and their balls will still hold line into the pocket, it kinda makes me sad :(.

HOWEVER, I love my reign on shark pattern. I played on the shark for half a game earlier(was racing to beat the lane machine from turning it into a house shot) and struck 6/7 shots, the not-strike was a weak 10.

Strike Domination
12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Interesting. The Reign, being skid/flip, would normally be a great THS ball. Is your house a little tougher or is it just you that can't seem to put up the numbers that others can? What are other people throwing, and is there a common style betwen the more successful bowlers? Since the Reign is a skid/flip pearl and that's not working, your options are either to put some surface on it, or go the other way and get a solid ball. Unfortunately, I have a feeling you're not going to get the hold other people have no matter what, so you can only hope to gain some recovery.

Where are you playing the lanes currently? Depending on the pattern I'd recommend the Diamondback, Nomad, maybe the Hy-Road. Or maybe go to smoother solids like the Furious, Lunatic, or the Cool Noize which is pearl but I believe can act like a solid. I might have recommended the Avalanche which is a weaker solid(not quite as strong as the Reign), but I'm not sure if that would be any better than the Reign.

Drano
12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Interesting. The Reign, being skid/flip, would normally be a great THS ball. Is your house a little tougher or is it just you that can't seem to put up the numbers that others can?

Where are you playing the lanes currently?

I don't really have much experience in other houses than my main house, other than 3 games in one house(when I had the flu, didn't really matter) and 2 games in another(a looong time ago), so I'm not sure if it's tougher.

On fresher shots, I start with my feet on 20-25 and throw to 10-12 at the arrows. On dryer shots, around 30-40 with my feet depending and 13-20 at the arrows.

Strike Domination
12-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Do you have the same problem when they're drier or just when they're fresh? Do you bowl on fresh oil for all your leagues? If so, I think I stick by my ball suggestions. How is your Reign drilled, just out of curiosity?

Drano
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Do you have the same problem when they're drier or just when they're fresh? Do you bowl on fresh oil for all your leagues? If so, I think I stick by my ball suggestions. How is your Reign drilled, just out of curiosity?

Fresh shot only on one league, but that's only for another 3 weeks, Then I'm bowling on 3 fresh shots, one fresh sport shot, 2 fresh house shots

My reign is drilled.. well I'm not exactly sure, I could take a picture

mike-boogie
12-05-2009, 09:47 PM
hey, I noticed out of all the balls I've used, my storm hyroad seems to hold and hook at the last minute. Now, I know aaron drilled it differently than the others. check it out next time u see me.

Beech
12-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Look for something thats solid. I have 2 solid balls take with me and 2 pears.

Mabe look into a Solid hammer if you like the backend of the regin you might like the hammers, im personaly a hammer guy but sence i got my Virtual energy idk anymore it fits perfectly into my arsnal. good luck with ur choices.

The black widow sting is what i use to shoot on heavy oil lanes. my mark is above 2nd arrow, my inside of my left foot at the 2nd arrow 2nd row of dots just back a little. If I miss right with my stingit will come back sharper if its fresh it sould come back and hit the pocket, if its dry WATCH OUT its ganna shoot across the lane but go broklyn and i still get strikes :p. If i miss left the ball will hold its line and show off some backend, Thats my oppinion on that. Good luck on your choices.

Strike Domination
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
This is probably a question you should also ask the pro shop as they probably know the shot as good as anyone else. At least they should, so they know what to give their customers. If you think you need something stronger I would look mostly at the Diamondback and Nomad as they are solids that have recovery which is what sounds like you're lacking.

Drano
12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah I was thinking that the pro shop would be a better source of info

Stormed1
12-06-2009, 04:41 AM
It would also help to know the layout on the Reign.A "bad" layout for the conditions you bowl on can also create the situation your describing. If the ball is drilled too strong it could be expending too much enerhy and therefore losing the ability to recover on shots missed to the right.

Drano
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I know I'm not bowling to my potential on house shots average-wise

I just bowled on the shark pattern for practice, and over 4 games, averaged 212.5 using the reign (201, 171, 223, 256), I don't even average 200 in my house shot leagues(High average in a league atm is 188). I just don't think the reign matches up to the pattern right.

Strike Domination
12-06-2009, 05:43 PM
That's probably the case. What's the difference in the ball motion if any on the house shot vs the Shark? If you can find out the layout on that ball and tell us that might be helpful. Ask your pro shop guy if necessary. It should have been drilled according to your PAP because I'm sure this is not your first ball, in which case the markings in relation to the fingers don't tell me much. However if it was not drilled to your PAP you can tell us where the markings are or take a pic.

Drano
12-07-2009, 02:35 AM
That's probably the case. What's the difference in the ball motion if any on the house shot vs the Shark? If you can find out the layout on that ball and tell us that might be helpful. Ask your pro shop guy if necessary. It should have been drilled according to your PAP because I'm sure this is not your first ball, in which case the markings in relation to the fingers don't tell me much. However if it was not drilled to your PAP you can tell us where the markings are or take a pic.

I don't think it's drilled to my PAP

but heres a pic

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vj92l1.jpg

Don't mind my feets in my comfy socks

Strike Domination
12-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Is there a weight hole(just curious)? It looks like it could have been drilled off your PAP, I would ask just in case. This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though, if I am. If you track high that could be a 5-5.5" pin to PAP and if you have a medium PAP that would probably be around 4 1/2" pin to PAP like it would for me. I have a hard time believing you track high, or you should not be having the problem that you are on a house pattern in my opinion.

The long pin to PAP(if that were the case) should make the ball recover more from the dry outside than with a shorter pin to PAP. Either way it seems you might have to move on the approach with the Reign to find some more room, but you probably won't get room both ways. As far as a ball, a stronger rolling ball seems to be the way to go, from my point of view. Assuming this is fresh condition problem mostly.

Drano
12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Is there a weight hole(just curious)?

no there isn't

Stormed1
12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
As stated before the pic is'nt real helpfull without knowing your PAP. I have guys i drill for that would have that layout be real weak and others it would be very strong. What is your ball speed for example. Higher speed and lower rev rate would cause the bal to go too long. You could try having the pro shop pt the surface at 4k sanded. That would help the bll read a little sooner and smooth out the reaction some.

Strike Domination
12-07-2009, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpgfsS6yWYs

That's him bowling, Bill. I would guess he has around 17mph ball speed(maybe a little more), and higher than average revs.

Drano
12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I managed to find some hold area playing a different line by adjusting my tilt, but not a ton. I think it might actually be better for me to go with a ball that will make me be really accurate to do well, for the long run. Averaging the same/higher on the shark pattern as on a house pattern is kind of cool