PDA

View Full Version : We had a little league problem

kev3inp
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
A few week's ago we bowled a team who brought in a sub for their worst male bowler. The sub has a book average of 206. Two of their bowlers bowled way over their average in the first two games, and his high for those two was 175. I overheard them saying during the middle of the second game that all they had to do was beat us scratch and with his handicap they'd clean up. His third game he rolls a 101. Their captain thought that since he hadn't bowled in the league before he'd establish on the first night. He averaged 142, and we squeaked a win out of the third game.
It turns out that he was supposed to be using his book average, as that's what the league rules said, not what their captain thought. The next week another team brought in a sub and rated him at book and I asked about it and found out what the rules said. You can imagine the scene. A captain's meeting was held the next week and it turns out the secretary (who is the center) has been doing the average establishment wrong from the first week, but since it would be "too much trouble" for them to correct 11 weeks of mistakes so they're going to disregard the rules. This costs us 5 wins, so the 7 to 2 loss stands, that should have been a 7 to 2 victory.
Our "captain" says that it doesn't matter if we win or lose, or how we bowl, she doesn't care if we come in first or last. So I decide that if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter and just roll the ball however. She beats her 134 average and I come in 30 under mine, but I'm not bothered because it doesn't matter. She gets pissed and throws a tantrum, says I'm being childish, and she packs up her stuff and leaves with two games still to bowl.
My contention is that she's now in violation of rule 114a, so we'll see if that rule will be followed. Needless to say, when this league finishes in January we will not be returning to this center. I don't mind losing honestly, but I have a real problem with bagging. If it means so much to these buttwipes to do it, I don't want to have anything further to do with them or the house that condones it.

bowl1820
12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
A few week's ago we bowled a team who brought in a sub for their worst male bowler. The sub has a book average of 206. Two of their bowlers bowled way over their average in the first two games, and his high for those two was 175. I overheard them saying during the middle of the second game that all they had to do was beat us scratch and with his handicap they'd clean up. His third game he rolls a 101. Their captain thought that since he hadn't bowled in the league before he'd establish on the first night. He averaged 142, and we squeaked a win out of the third game.
It turns out that he was supposed to be using his book average, as that's what the league rules said, not what their captain thought. The next week another team brought in a sub and rated him at book and I asked about it and found out what the rules said. You can imagine the scene. A captain's meeting was held the next week and it turns out the secretary (who is the center) has been doing the average establishment wrong from the first week, but since it would be "too much trouble" for them to correct 11 weeks of mistakes so they're going to disregard the rules. This costs us 5 wins, so the 7 to 2 loss stands, that should have been a 7 to 2 victory.

Once the mistake was discovered it should have been corrected, it wouldn't have been that much trouble to make the changes in the computer. That's the secretary's job. I'd check with the rules dept. of the USBC, then with that info go back to the league and/or file a complaint with the local association.

Our "captain" says that it doesn't matter if we win or lose, or how we bowl, she doesn't care if we come in first or last. So I decide that if it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter and just roll the ball however. She beats her 134 average and I come in 30 under mine, but I'm not bothered because it doesn't matter. She gets pissed and throws a tantrum, says I'm being childish, and she packs up her stuff and leaves with two games still to bowl.
My contention is that she's now in violation of rule 114a, so we'll see if that rule will be followed.

She'd be in violation of rule 114 only if she quit the league improperly (not following the usbc procedures and any league rules regard it.). Now if she just walked out that night and comes back the next week, that's not quitting the league. But I'll assume that she didn't come back

Needless to say, when this league finishes in January we will not be returning to this center. I don't mind losing honestly, but I have a real problem with bagging. If it means so much to these buttwipes to do it, I don't want to have anything further to do with them or the house that condones it.

gparks
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
wow kev sorry to hear all that is going down bud... even tho ill get my butt handed to me im joining up on a pba exp league this spring and trying to set up a scratch league this fall....

i live 1 1/2 hrs south of st louis,mo so the few houses around here only roll handicap leagues. the only reason we are getting a pba exp league in is one of the local pro shop owners is a pba card holder and knows how to set up the oil machines to lay the patterns,and will bring some pros from the city to support it:)

thank god for him i really want to throw on a real pattern ,match play (and most importantly) solo.so i just have to worry about the shot and who im facing that week.

mrbill
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I hate when the rules are not followed! This might sound funny But I even Want the rules followed even if I will lose out in the process.

Stormed1
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
The secretary has an obligation to fix the scores that were done wrong. I would contact your local association concerning this. If you don't get a response from them contact national. The secretary is paid a fee to acuratly keep records and statistics so not doing them right violates your "contact " with them

gparks
12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
In total agreement with both bills above:)