PDA

View Full Version : Trying a new spare system, need opinions

gfdengine204
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Today I went for some practice. My spare shooting in league Friday night was abysmal. In fact, I blame that for costing us our point for series. (Sure, my teammates had bad games too, but.....:rolleyes:) Anyway, I decided I needed to go do some intensive practice and nail this down.

My coach, when I first started with lessons, gave me the following system: for 7-pin single spares, stand with my slide (left) foot on 7, throw over the 2nd to 3rd arrow (adjusting after some trial and error). For 10-pin single spares, stand with the left side of my slide foot on the left edge of 39, throw over 20-21 at the 4th arrow. When I first tried this, it worked well. Then somehow I think my head started messing with me, thinking I am WAY too far to the side for either shot, and all I do now is whiff. :mad: For other pins, essentially use the 3-6-9 system, with slight adjustments for multi-pin spares and splits.

I have been reading Parker Bohn III's book, and his section on spare shooting got me to thinking: Why do I need to be shooting from the extreme edges. His diagrams aren't so extreme; in fact, some of the diagrams show his feet near the center of the approach. :confused: One of my teammates told me she shoots spares more straight on than cross-lane. So today I started throwing, and was doing the following:

For the 10-pin, I stood on 30 (toes of my shoes on 30, that is), which sets me up for a release at the line around 20. (I've noticed my release is right around 10 boards right of my slide foot.) I aim for 3rd arrow (15 board), and when I hit my mark, I was consistently hitting the 10 fairly square. Did a complete line of just 10's, and like I said, when I hit that mark, the 10 was toast.

Off to the 7-pin. For this, I stood on 25, release at the line on 15, aiming at center arrow (20 board), and when I hit that mark, same thing, pretty square on the 7. This one gave me a little more trouble hitting the mark consistently, but when I DID hit it, it was pretty well on line.

Notice, though, in both cases, a few times I would hit the mark, and miss, but I attributed this to being too open or not square to my intended path for the ball.

As I drove home, I was thinking about this, and may have hit on something worthwhile, hence why I am here asking the community for input. (Also, if this has already been "discovered", feel free to let me know. I have no problem with criticism as well. Anyway, what I was thinking was more mathematical in nature. When you know the board the pin is on, and the board you are releasing the ball, and throwing a straight spare ball, I was thinking "Well, if it is a straight line, you should be able to figure mathematically what your target is". With the foul line at zero feet, and the pins at ~60-62 feet, and knowing the arrows are at 15 feet, here is what I figured. For shooting the 10, for example, I am releasing at 20; the pin is on 5. The difference here is 15 boards. The arrows are 1/4th the distance from the foul line as the pins are. So, divide the difference in boards from release point to pin location (in this case 20-5) and here we get 15. Divide that by 4 (3 3/4), and that is the number of boards over you need to aim for at the arrows. As I was thinking this, I realized every time I had a real good cover on the 10, I was inside the 3rd arrow (around 15 1/2). " Hmmmm, maybe this idea has merit", I thought. So I was thinking about the 7-pin. Release on 15, pin on 35. 20-board difference, divide by 4, gives me an aiming mark of 5 boards over. That puts my mark on the 20. Which is where I was hitting the 7 pretty well.

So as I get home, I was pondering this (gee, maybe I over think stuff? ;)) and thought you could do this for anywhere on the approach to any single pin at the deck. At least, I think you could.

Now, I haven't worked yet on multi-pin spares, but my theory is "As long as I can determine where I want the ball to go, I can find where to release and where to aim to put it there" (as long as I throw straight and don't tug it or whiff).

Sorry this is so long. Hoping to get some good input here.

gfdengine204
12-10-2009, 10:03 AM
LOL I guess this is a big bust.

poflobo
12-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey! Just found your post.

First. You didn't mention if you are using a plastic "spare" ball. So if you don't... get one. My scores went up immediately.

Second. The coach is teaching you to use the full width of the lanes, but as with me, it seems to be too much angle for your head. :D Just find a good line you are comfortable with and the plastic ball will allow you to shoot a straight line to the pins. Relax and hit your mark... don't try to kill 'em with speed. Just fine tune it to fit YOUR style.

Hope this made sense! :)

gfdengine204
12-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey! Just found your post.

First. You didn't mention if you are using a plastic "spare" ball. So if you don't... get one. My scores went up immediately.

Second. The coach is teaching you to use the full width of the lanes, but as with me, it seems to be too much angle for your head. :D Just find a good line you are comfortable with and the plastic ball will allow you to shoot a straight line to the pins. Relax and hit your mark... don't try to kill 'em with speed. Just fine tune it to fit YOUR style.

Hope this made sense! :)

Sorry, yes I am using an Ebonite Maxim plastic ball for my straight spares. And I don't add any speed, I try to use my same swing to keep it simple. I just kill my wrist (break it) to avoid any revs on the ball.

You are right, the extra width messes with my head. I know it's no big deal, but then I get up and think "Boy that's a long way, and so close to the gutter...." LOL.

Strike Domination
12-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Well I don't know about all the math(seems to make sense but I don't think it's necessary), but the main thing with spare systems in my opinion is whatever works for you. I can bet there's not many people who shoot certain spares the way I do, but it works as long as I hit my mark. So I say do what's comfortable and work with it to make it better.

gfdengine204
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
All the math does for me is tell me where to stand. I tried it the other afternoon, and I had my spot and mark figured before my 1st ball was back from the return. Like, for instance, I need to pick up the 10-pin. That's on the 5 board. So after my first shot, I am thinking "OK, pin is on 5, I'll stand on 25, which puts my release on 15; 15 minus 5 equals 10, divide by 4 and that is a little over 2. So I release on 15, my mark at the arrows is 2 boards right of the 15 board, or third arrow." By now, the players on either side have thrown and it's my turn. Get my spare ball, line up, and go. Every time I did this and hit my mark, I converted the spare. So, I guess my original post is just a long-winded way of saying what I am figuring in a matter of about 5 seconds.