PDA

View Full Version : speed problems....

gparks
12-19-2009, 01:59 PM
hello ive been having a rough time here lately with overthinking ,getting upset at bad frames/games.

last few weeks i've been better,had a really good outing in a no-tap tuesday.then league comes thursday,im feeling great ready to rip it up .pre game practice went well etc....

then i go speed crazy....i have worked to slow down and for 4 months im down into 15-17mph and its been helping and feeling good .i was pitching18-22 and tried to slow it down .havent been able to get back to the lanes since to see if it was just a fluke or not but its tripping me out.

my proshop guy bowls this league and was close to me he said it looks natural for me to throw high speed and i should *surface* my gear and keep the speed and play out and in *play the twig*.he said my speed is what the pros throw and if i hit my mark throwing high will only lead to better carry.im a medium track low rev stroker so i dont have the *hand* to throw that high speed on the pba exp league that starts in a few months.i can on ths but, any oil im shure my ball will be dead and might as well throw strait .thanks

gfdengine204
12-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Greg,

Have you tried starting with the ball lower in your stance when you set up on the approach? I use a pushaway-into-free swing, and to change speeds I just raise or lower the ball when I setup; the higher the ball's starting position, the faster the ball speed (as it gives a higher backswing). In pre-game practice I start in the middle to establish a baseline, then adjust accordingly.

(I'm hoping I don't come across as sounding like I am talking down, just new to the forum and still establishing myself here. :))

Beech
12-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Hey sounds like i bowl like you i bowl with a speed around 20-21mph every shot but i went out to buy the balls and drill them right. Listen to your pro shop guy, if its easyer to throw it fast and have more power on it do that best for ya, my team mate throws the ball around 15mph and compared to mine i have better pin reaction.

For your PBA experience leauge, i havnt had any experience i wish my town would get it but probly wont. Purcashe a ball to do the job might be some extra $$ but its worth it. Just my oppinion :D i wish you the best of luck with whatever your do.

gparks
12-21-2009, 07:02 AM
thx for the advice guys,i think im gonna see if i can hit my mark with the speed.if i still have it,with holiday stuff going down still havent bowled since thursday:(

yeehayashi
12-21-2009, 01:12 PM
In addition to lowering the ball in your stance, when I struggle with throwing too fast, I move up on the approach a 1/2 step to a whole step. This shortens & slows down the pace of my footwork and allows me to scrub some of the excessive speed in my armswing. I normally average between 16 & 17 mph but by moving up slightly when I line up, I can drop my speed by 1 to 1 1/2 mph. When I start leaving a slew of 10 pins or other backrow pins I make this change and usually can reduce my bad pin carry issues.