PDA

View Full Version : Experiences getting ball drilled online?

Evilash71
12-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Now first off let me say that i have had all my equipment drilled at pro shops. Two different ones to be exact. One guy is very clear that he will discount nothing and so you pay a premium. He does however drill an excellent ball.

The other is hit or miss. If you buy enough he'll discount, throw in some grips or a slug etc. Pretty nice guy. I dont' think he's quite up to par with the other guy in terms of the final job. Only issue there is sometimes he's a bit pre-occupied or overly busy so he'll tend to hurry to get your ball done unless you are right there when he does it.

Having said all of this i have purchased shoes and accessories but never a ball online. I notice one of the sites lets you send your measurements in or a ball with a drilling you like, they copy that, and they will drill it for you. I was wondering if anyone had used this service and if so what your experience was with it.

I am big on going to the pro shop but as of late have become a bit tired of the hit or miss feel to it all. Sometimes you get a great deal, sometimes not, sometimes a great drilling, sometimes just ok.

Any input on this?

mrbill
12-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I was always wondering, "what if" on getting new drilled bowling balls online. Now I'm less likely to do it me thinks.

Drano
12-26-2009, 10:56 PM
I was always wondering, "what if" on getting new drilled bowling balls online. Now I'm less likely to do it me thinks.

Whys that?

mrbill
12-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Because of the "hit and miss aspect" I dont wanna keep sending it back to get redrilled.

Drano
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Because of the "hit and miss aspect" I dont wanna keep sending it back to get redrilled.

Where do you get that from? The OP says one of his local pro-shops is hit and miss. He's never tried online drilling

Stormed1
12-28-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm thinking he is refering to the possible hit or miss that online drilling would be just like at a lot of pro shops. You don't know who's drilling your ball at the online store. It could be a veteran of drilling or a kid that's just learning. I know someone who has Buddies Pro Shop do his stuff and he's been very satsfied.

Voltin
01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Now first off let me say that i have had all my equipment drilled at pro shops. Two different ones to be exact. One guy is very clear that he will discount nothing and so you pay a premium. He does however drill an excellent ball.

What pro shops have you gone to? I have nothing but good experience with the pro shop inside of Bowl El Paso (sorry can't remember the name) on the Eastside. I personally have purchased 2 balls from him, and my family has purchased 4 others. His prices are fairly reasonable (more than online, but he includes fitting and drilling.)

WAC4504
01-22-2010, 01:41 AM
I've never ordered a ball on line, and don't plan to. Although I can see where it becomes an option when you don't have a good pro shop to go to. A few reasons why I don't think I could do it is I would always wonder what if, and could you trust some one to measure your hand to send in, and I've gotten to know the guys at the pro shop and I've never gotten bad service or bad balls from them, not to mention the prices are with in about 10.00 of on line sales when you ad in the drilling fees. Good luck and good bowling Bill

Stormed1
01-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Another aspect to consider is that while most shops will open your thumbhole if needed for free There are others that will charge you. Factor in the cost of shipping the ball back if there is a problem with the fit or drilling and you ned to question if it's worth it.
The bottom line is you have to decide quality or price, which is more important to you. How does the guy who does a great drill feel about you bringing in a ball to him? Do you save enough to make it worthwhile?nly you can answer that.

jmartin27407
01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
What you have to consider when getting a ball drilled online is that the person that is drilling doesn't know you or how you throw the ball. If you are able to send videos to the website as well as you specs including you PAP they can being somewhat more accurate. But still they have no idea what type of pattern you bowl league on where if you have a "good " pro shop operator they know all these variables and should be able to match your equipment up to you. Most of the time spending a few extra dollars in a pro shop is going to benefit you more.

Jimmy Martin
Roto-Grip Staff
Striking Advantage Pro Shop
Titusville FL

jboarei
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I just bought an Invasion online for 139.99 and some tape for 12.00, the with the 10$ coupon. it came out to 142.00$ then I can go get it drilled for 50$.. so for about 190.00$ i get the ball.. at the pro shop he has it for 247.00$ so I am saving about 55.00$ mine as well take the savings, but I would never have a ball pre drilled for me online.

Graaille
03-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I think the only way I'd do it would be if I told them to use the dual angle system, provided the angles for them to use, provide my pap info, and have them drill it for switch grip/Vise IT. A thumbhole is just too personal.

Evilash71
04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
What pro shops have you gone to? I have nothing but good experience with the pro shop inside of Bowl El Paso (sorry can't remember the name) on the Eastside. I personally have purchased 2 balls from him, and my family has purchased 4 others. His prices are fairly reasonable (more than online, but he includes fitting and drilling.)

Sorry for the late response.

I have used that exact pro shop. What drew my attention to the "hit or miss," was that when i went and got coached the coach measured my equipment and the three balls all were off in terms of being the same span etc. Then the two drilled there were illegal by weight, even though i watched him weigh them. So probably scale was not calibrated. My wife's also ilegal. Two other ball there they showed me, also illegal. So attention to detail is lacking here. If you want to play nationals they could weigh your equipment. So i had my equipment plugged and re-drilled, and much much better result.

Im not saying he isnt a nice guy he is. And overall i like that shop. But those little things mean a lot to me. My coach noticed i was coming out of the ball differently on each ball. So that's what made him measure everything again and measure the holes on the ball and look at the weight etc.

DanielMareina
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
First of all, it amazes me that not one person used an online pro shop and responded. Secondly, I run a pro shop, and trust me when I say, there are many bad pro shop drillers out there. It is hit or miss till you find someone you like. I fix equipment drilled at my competition all the time. I don't think having a person you can't talk to drill your equipment is the answer either though. How would you decide what layout to use, or that your PAP is correct. I try my best to match whatever price an online retailer will sell it for, but their prices are lower than I buy it for sometimes. Here is why I think the local pro shop is a good idea,(except if you really can't trust them, in which case you are screwed) If I drill a ball and it cracks 3 months later, I will exchange it and get it replaced through my contacts in the industry. I doubt bowling ball.com or buddies would do that. Also, if it isn't perfect, I will do small adjustments till it is. Hard to do from states away. Not to mention, if you get bad advice from whoever you are trusting to help you with ball choice and layout, there is no one to stop you. I know way too many people that end up with layouts that work for their friend, so they want the same one, or ball choices that people pick because they saw a good video online and they want their ball to do exactly that. I can talk to people and find out what they want and make those recommendations from there.

Evilash71
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
First of all, it amazes me that not one person used an online pro shop and responded. Secondly, I run a pro shop, and trust me when I say, there are many bad pro shop drillers out there. It is hit or miss till you find someone you like. I fix equipment drilled at my competition all the time. I don't think having a person you can't talk to drill your equipment is the answer either though. How would you decide what layout to use, or that your PAP is correct. I try my best to match whatever price an online retailer will sell it for, but their prices are lower than I buy it for sometimes. Here is why I think the local pro shop is a good idea,(except if you really can't trust them, in which case you are screwed) If I drill a ball and it cracks 3 months later, I will exchange it and get it replaced through my contacts in the industry. I doubt bowling ball.com or buddies would do that. Also, if it isn't perfect, I will do small adjustments till it is. Hard to do from states away. Not to mention, if you get bad advice from whoever you are trusting to help you with ball choice and layout, there is no one to stop you. I know way too many people that end up with layouts that work for their friend, so they want the same one, or ball choices that people pick because they saw a good video online and they want their ball to do exactly that. I can talk to people and find out what they want and make those recommendations from there.

All good points. I prefer a brick and mortar shop no doubt. Down here though it's tough. One shop will do the work fast, and pretty good, and give you great prices. The other will take their time, do a great job but you will pay out the nose for it big time, and it takes while to get your ball. The third, and one Im using mostly now because my coach is there, is sort of in between. He is fair in price because Im his student, but also the ball he re-did for me is a dream. So now im having him redo all my equipment to get that feel. I also think he keeps up with both old school and new school techniques, he's a silver level coach, excellent bowler and overall a good guy. So well see how this works out.

DanielMareina
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds like you are with the right guy out of the three. Personally, I have only been drilling balls for almost 3 years. I go to a pro shop school every year, read reviews online, watch video of different layouts, have two drillers that have been doing it for over 20 years ready to answer questions via phone call, and drill equipment many different ways to see what it does, and after all this I still feel like there is no way to know it all. I think the difference between finding a good pro shop guy isn't experience, but rather the fact of whether he cares if the fit is perfect or just good enough. It sounds like you have found a good guy to work with. I seperate myself because If I for some reason decide to change a pitch, or have to reslug the thumb hole, or change grip sizes, I pay for it out of my own cost. I don't feel like anyone should pay for me not realizing that they have a unique hand. Luckily, my competitors in the area don't do that for people, and I am making a name for myself quite quickly. I really hope this new guy works out for you! Another thing to look for is if the Pro shop is owned by the bowling center, or rented. Pro Shops owned by the bowling centers will have lower costs a lot of the time, and they have more to lose if they **** you off. Most independent pro shops just lose a guy who may never buy another ball, while the bowling center loses someone that may bowl league, eat and drink at the center, and even practice throughout the week. That gives you a little leverage ;)

Mark027
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I know my pro shop guy does it the same way as bowlersparadise.com

hondo
10-09-2011, 12:34 PM
If you send in your specs and you know your lay out it saves quite a bit of money. BowlingBall.com guarantees the specs if you send them in yourself or if they pick up a ball to copy. I use a IT with a mold and the drilling is always the same. I save time and money and always get the specs and ball that I want.

If you need help with the layout the tech staff at BowlingBall.com will be more than helpful. They don't glue the inserts in unless you request. I found that easy to learn.

Hope this helps,

JerseyJim
10-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I had a Cell drilled by Buddies Pro shop a couple of years ago. I sent in a ball that fit well, drilled by a local pro shop that had drilled 12 balls for me over the years. They matched it perfectly. Would I do it again, probably not. I just had a $150 gift certificate to Buddies given to me by my sister.