PDA

View Full Version : Need MAJOR help please [release issues]

Budfred
12-29-2009, 04:59 AM
Do y'guys out there actually get a feel of your thumb coming out of the ball before rotating your fingers?

For me, it feels as if my thumb & fingers release the ball at the same time. I do not feel the thumb coming out at all. Hence, I can't seem to be able to put sufficient side rotations to the ball, resulting in a small hook & low revs

---

These are the guidelines that I've been following recently:

1) My wrist is firm throughout the swing (ie not broken)

2) Some pressure is applied on my index and pinky finger throughout the swing

3) I try to keep the downward part of my swing (ie right after pushaway) as free as possible

4) In my stance, the entire weight of my ball is on my left hand (non bowling hand). The thumb is not squeezing & is relaxed.

5) My footwork;
1st step - Small slide
2nd step - Pushaway & wt transfer of the ball from the left hand to the right
3rd step - Normal step
4th step - Small step; the heel is just right in front of the toes of the left foot
5th step - Slide

HOWEVER

6) It feels as if my thumb is deliberately holding the ball right after I transfer the weight of the ball from my left hand to my right one (ie downward part of the swing). As such, I can't seem to be able to achieve a clean release during the downswing. My thumb is just squeezing during that period of time; It's as if the entire weight of the ball is being supported by the thumb

I've tried thumb tapes and stuff like that, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. The thumb is still gripping onto the ball =/

PICTURES:

a) Position of ball in the stance (Side view)
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4527/sidevieweq.jpg

b) Position of ball in the stance (Front view)
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7466/frontviewv.jpg

c) Thumb getting stuck by downswing (See point 6 above); The thumb is gripping & it is difficult to release it. It's as if the entire weight of the ball is being supported by the thumb =/
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4326/stuckbyfoot.jpg

---

My questions are:

i) What should I do to get my thumb out of the ball? HELP :'(

ii) Do you guys apply pressure (ie squeeze a lil) on the middle and ring finger?

iii) I can't seem to get a straight follow through even if I keep my forearm & elbow straight throughout the swing? I'm 100% sure I do not "chicken wing" in the course of my swing. What's gone wrong here?

ANY FEEDBACK & TIPS WOULD BE GREATLY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I'VE REALLY BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THIS FOR A LONG TIME NOW =(

---

FYI...
i) The drilling of my ball is fine. I've just had it checked last night. The span & pitch are perfectly fine.

ii) I do have an external coach. But the release of the thumb just seems to be too daunting for me :S

Beech
12-29-2009, 06:10 PM
1) Im not sure if this could help but dont put your thumb all the way in. My coach keeps telling me fingers in first than thumb assuming you have finger tips if i dont put my fingers in first my thumb will get stuck in the ball and you will hear a THUD cuz i get so much lift on the ball.
Another thing that could cause it to happen is when your pro shop checked you drilling, was it befor or after you bowled. My personal experience is that my thumb will swell up when bowling so you might just have to get your thumb hole beveled out.

2) When i bowl i do squzze a little more on my fingers than my thumb, as i said above i dont have my thumb all the way into the ball.

3) A straight follow through requires you to find your center of gravity while you bowl your leg (left/right) could be kicking up to much and you lose balance, its diffrent for everyone i think but im not the best on that ;)

WAC4504
01-01-2010, 04:05 PM
When I first started I though that my ball was a dud 'cause I couldn't get it to hook, what I did was get a good wrist brace/support and what a difference it made. A wrist brace/support is not the answer to all you're problems but it will help to keep your wrist in the desired position all through the swing and follow through. I personally would recomend the Pro Release by Mirro? You can find them at good prices on line. Good luck

Drano
01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
i) I used Vise protective tape. When I started bowling with my thumb, the ball would grip on my thumb like yours does, the tape stopped it from gripping.

ii) idk

iii) I don't have a straight follow-through either, but neither do some of the pros

mrbill
01-02-2010, 01:51 PM
I had your problem a while back budfred.
What I did was lower my arm stance simular to jason couch with the ball on the side hip area(That solved my targeting problems)
Then being a PowerStroker I wanted more H00k at times so what I did was right before release I opened my stance a bit, what I mean by that is a stroker will even up or square up his or her shoulders at release, by Opening up you will with the back swing let your ball hand shoulder go a little back with the back swing, this infact will help a player get more revs getting on the side of the ball and that will creat more power as well. If you open to much with out practice theres a good chance a person will go off balance.
Good Luck and great bowling.......