PDA

View Full Version : Please help a complete NOOB!?!

djhoj
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Hello all,

Very new to this site and I am looking for some advice on buying a bowling ball.

I am just a recreational bowler - in a once every two week league. I have always used a house ball and thrown it with very little hook and have about a 135 average. I want to buy my own ball but very confused by how many different balls are available.

I know I probably want to go with a reactive resin ball - I use a 15lb normally. I am looking to spend around $75-100.

I know I am never going to be a great bowler and I am ok with that. I am just looking for advice on which brand and type of ball would be a good choice for a beginner...ie hammer, ebonite, storm, etc.

I know this is kind of vague but hopefully you guys have some info I can use.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Derrick Hoj

djhoj
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Hello all,

Very new to this site and I am looking for some advice on buying a bowling ball.

I am just a recreational bowler - in a once every two week league. I have always used a house ball and thrown it with very little hook and have about a 135 average. I want to buy my own ball but very confused by how many different balls are available.

I know I probably want to go with a reactive resin ball - I use a 15lb normally. I am looking to spend around $75-100.

I know I am never going to be a great bowler and I am ok with that. I am just looking for advice on which brand and type of ball would be a good choice for a beginner...ie hammer, ebonite, storm, etc.

I know this is kind of vague but hopefully you guys have some info I can use.

Thanks in advance for all of your help

Derrick Hoj

Stormed1
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Well there are a lot of entry level balls you can go with. for an entry level you will probably spend between $90 & $120 out the door tax and all. Brunswick Power Grooves, Ebonite Tornado's, Tropical Storms are all good choices as they have goos reacrtive covers with a sightly more dynamic core than a house ball has. At the entry level the ball choice has more to do with your color preference than anything else as far as performance goes. Although in my experience the Tropical Storms are the strongest of the 3 i mentioned

Beech
12-29-2009, 06:01 PM
I agree with with stormed, the Tropical Storm (from Storm) are good entry level balls, I know someone who still uses it on some lane conditions. Another ball you could look into the the Columbia 300 Scout Reactive i use it on lanes that my sting/venom/virtual energy doesnt work its like my bread and butter ball.

And welcome to the site :D

PSBA10
12-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Djhoj you state:

I know I am never going to be a great bowler and I am ok with that.

From the sounds of things you really haven't gotten involved with the sport yet. How do you know what you can do until you try? Don't be a defeatist. You're already taking the first step to improving, you are looking to buy a ball custom fitted to your hand.

You are also taking the second step to improving, asking advice from people who have been involved for some time. Never be afraid to ask for help.

I suggest you talk to the pro shop operator in your area. He may be able to set you up with a deal on a better ball than you expect and he may be able to give you a lesson or two just for being a customer.

Welcome to the site. Good luck and have fun.