PDA

View Full Version : approach help

wes909
01-02-2010, 11:46 PM
hi, all new member here new to bowling as well (kinda)
so i go bowling maybe once or twice a year not much but i have decided i really enjoy it and want to get into it
i kinda of suck but well i average about 90-105. well i went to you tube and watched a few videos on bowling tips and right now i am just on the basics working on a 4 or 5 step approach. well i just got back from bowling and well the video helped i bowled 3 games all around 110 to 125 not a huge jump but it did make a difference. but i was able to pin point where i need work one game tonight i bowled 3 or 4 strikes cant remember since my bowling alley is all digital. but my main problem was when i was off i was off bad. and i really could never get comfortable with my approach some times i would take half steps and they would really throw me for gutter balls. so i am just looking for some advice on lining up and getting comfortable with my approach. also i am having a hard time lining up center i seem to do better lining up maybe 2 boards to the left and i feel its a little farther than i should. i have been thinking of buying a cheap bowling ball from good will or something and practicing at home on my approach maybe measure up some tape on the floor and just practicing my approach with the ball in hand and not really bowling the ball. does this sound like a logical idea? also i have been thinking about getting my own ball and shoes. however i think i should wait on the ball until i score around 150ish but the shoes i think might help in just cutting down on the cost of going. well thanks for any advice and god bless

wes909
01-03-2010, 12:26 AM
????

Strike Domination
01-03-2010, 01:16 AM
My advice would be to get yourself a ball ASAP. You'd be surprised what your own ball can do, especially if it has a core. It's a lot easier to bowl better with a ball fit to your hand. I assume you're throwing a straight ball. Are you interested in learning to hook the ball or do you just want to continue to bowl straight? If you're going to bowl straight I guess having your own ball is a little less important, but you could still benefit from the core and having a better thumb hole fit. To hook the ball, getting your own ball will be very important.

As for your form, I can't really comment on you personally. I'd have to see you for that, as would most people here. But as a general suggestion, maybe consider starting from the right and aiming towards the pocket(if you're right handed). If you continue to go down the middle, standing a little bit left of center like you are is probably the best thing to do.

If you intend to really get into the game, a good coach is invaluable. They can help spot inconsistencies and bad habit in your approach, then recommend the proper remedies. That, honestly, would be the quickest way to improve. After getting your own ball, of course. In my opinion, it may not be a good idea to wait until you're in the 150s to do that because it's hard to get to that level throwing straight with house balls(it's hard enough just to be in the 150s throwing straight with your own ball).

wes909
01-03-2010, 01:46 AM
actualy i throw a hook but its very inconsistent because i put alot of muscle into it and when its off it hows to early to the left i really would love to try to bowl with a ball with a core i thought about a mutant cell. i want somethig with a strong last minute hook because i am more of a cranker but bowler. with a house ball makes it difficult

Strike Domination
01-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I'd recommend a mid-range ball. If you like a ball that hooks late, you'd want a pearl ball. The Mutant is very strong, it might be too much for someone not used to reactive equipment. Mid-rang equipment will help you get a taste. Consider balls like the Reign, Python, Freeze, and Vibes. If your release is inconsistent these should be more forgiving. If your targetting is inconsistent, depending on conditions the balls can still work favorably. But not always, proper execution is the best way to go. That's where a good coach comes in handy.

Jord_84
01-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with strike domination about getting your own ball. You need eqippment drilled for your hand to stay consistent. a cheap pair of shoes shouldn't set you back much, and will definitely save you money in the long run. As for your approach, practicing at home is a good idea. I used to wear socks and practice on a linoleum floor so I could slide...back when I was switching from a 4 step to a 5 step. Timing is everything with your approach. If you go with a 5 step you don't push the ball away until the second step...for a 4 step, you push the ball away on the first step. My high school coach used to tell me to visialize that my arm and leg were connected by a 2x4 (don't ask me why he picked a 2x4?) But as soon as your leg moves on the appropriate step, your arm moves with it...to push the ball away. Don't force the ball on the swing, this will screw up your timing. Your arm should swing naturally, like a pendullum. When you get to the end of your approach, you should bend at the knees and only slightly at the waist. Release the ball, follow through with your arm...like your trying to reach over your shoulder to scratch your back, and let your arm keep swinging with the pendullum motion.

Let us know what progress you make. Hopefully you'll be bowling 150's in no time.

Stormed1
01-03-2010, 02:11 PM
1. The number of steps in your approach needs to be what is comfortable for you.Because i'm bowling with a Boot/cast on my right foot i take 7 small nsteps. You can practice your approach at home without using a ball in your hand. I did it years ago when switching from 4 to 5 steps. I will be doing the same when i get out of the boot and go back to 5 steps.
2. A ball that properly fits your hand is extremely important in getting consistant with your release. Untill you get consistant with your release an entry level or mid priced ball will be as good as you need to get, Balls like the Vibes, the Freeze , The Fast and the Furious will be good choices and still be reasonably priced.
3. Having your own shoes will also help your consistancy. It does not take long when you have been renting shoes to have paid for your own shoes due to the savings from not have to pay to rent them.If you can afford them i recomend getting shoes that are delivery specific (right hand or left handed vs universak) as having the rubber push off sole will help.

wes909
01-03-2010, 05:22 PM
ok n i have a real dumb question you know the two lines of dots in front of the bowling lane what are they called and which do you start on

wes909
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
i just called a place about custom drilling and they said i just send in my favorite ball and they copy its holes that doesnt seem custom at all especially if you aint got one

Strike Domination
01-03-2010, 07:53 PM
That sounds like an online site. Don't do that, especially since you don't have your own ball yet. Work with a local pro shop, and if you find a good one they will probably go out to the lanes with your to help you get comfortable with your ball. Custom drilling means you send them a ball that fits you and they copy the fit onto another ball.

As for the approach, where you stand depends a lot on your form. Things like how fast you walk, the size of your steps, etc. Sometimes, people don't need to be as far back as they are.

Jord_84
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Decide whether you're doing the 4 step or the 5 step. Practice it at home, then head to the bowling alley. Start on the set of dots closer to the foul line for a 4 step...the second set of dots for the 5 step. Do your approach as you normally would and take notice of where your foot is at the end. Tweak your approach accordingly depending on how close or far you are from the foul line. As for where to stand either left or right, that really depends on what kind of ball you end up getting :)
And definitely use a local pro shop for drilling, instead of an online service.

wes909
01-03-2010, 08:44 PM
so how much can i expect to spend on a ball drilling and accessories , i really want the mutant cell but may take yalls advice and change to a diamond back or copperhead

Jord_84
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Most of the time, drilling is free when you buy your ball at a pro shop. You could probably pick up a bag at goodwill or ebay for cheap, a cheaper pair of shoes might set you back around 40 bucks. You might be able to get away with spending around 200 to 250. The pro shop I use offers a ball/bag combo for people starting out...so it might be worthwhile to see if your pro shop offers anything similar.

mike-boogie
01-04-2010, 12:20 AM
as mentioned the mutant cell is a beast! start out taking baby steps, and then upgrade. work with ur local pro shop and most of all, paractice!!! it's true what they say, parctice makes perfect :)