PDA

View Full Version : the hook and 6 pin so mad!

wes909
01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
hey just got back from bowloing and im a mix of mad and happy!

i bowled a 114 today not good

but i bowled 8 shots that left ony the 6 pin ! i cant get that bast@@@@@@@@@ to go down and i cant pick it up either. is there any thing that will help me pick it up .or know it down on my first bowl

also on the hook i am just using a house ball and i dont use my thump is that bad? cuz i cant get the hook when i use my thumb

Drano
01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Are you a lefty or righty?

Also on the hook I'd recommend practicing with your thumb to try to learn how to hook the ball, I learned how to do it from watching the PBA pros and the occasional comment from Randy Pedersen containing information about their releases

For the 6-pin, find a line that you can throw to hit the 6-pin. For me(a righty, I go cross-lane and use my 10-pin target(my 10-pin line goes through both the 6-pin and 10-pin)

wes909
01-04-2010, 06:51 PM
i am a righty thanks for the advice think ima buy a reactive ball asap

Drano
01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
do you have a non-reactive(plastic) ball? If not, I'd recommend getting one of those first and learn how to throw straight accurately. If you hop right into the hook then you'll likely have trouble with spares(I have first hand experience with this). I averaged 126 throwing 2-finger my very first bowling league, then I got a reactive ball and averaged 150 for the next two seasons because I was horribly inaccurate and had trouble with spares.

Only two-three months ago I got a urethane ball that I use for spares which goes pretty straight, and I used that ball in practice throwing it straight for a few games until I got partly decent scores(160+, meaning I picked up most of my spares) and my average in the league season after I started using the urethane ball for spares jumped to 189. I just started a new league season and my average in one of them is 190 and the other is 210 after the first week

Just my experiences/thoughts

Stormed1
01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
AAt the very least use your thumb when shooting spares for as you said you can't hook it with the thumb in. Even if you stay with the no thumb delivery for your strike ball being able to go straight for your spares will be an asset

Jord_84
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Keep in mind house balls are usually drilled conventional...unless you found a finger tip ball someone threw on a rack. The house balls aren't meant to hook. Finger tip drilled balls give you more lift and rotation to get that hook. So you'll be throwing a hook easy once you get your own ball. Right now you need to work on your approach and consistency in hitting a mark.

wes909
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
just got back i bowled much better i bolwed to back to back 136's i feel much more comfortable now if i can just get me a ball