PDA

View Full Version : any quit smoking

wes909
01-07-2010, 12:46 AM
just looking for advie on how anyone here has quit i have tried many times but just cant stop

kev3inp
01-07-2010, 04:53 AM
It's the hardest thing you'll ever do, but you can do it. Like being an alcoholic, you have to take one day at a time and tell yourself that you're not going to smoke today; leave tomorrow alone. Then do the same thing each day. Some have success using the patch, others use candy. The physical need goes away in about a week, but the psychological craving lasts a long time.

Jord_84
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Hehe the only times I've quit sucessfully were when I was pregnant with my kids. With a couple of long stints here and there.
First and foremost, if you absolutely don't want to quit then forget about it. You've got to decide without a shred of doubt that you really want to quit in order to be sucessful. Second, set an official quit date and look into smoking cessation products. I've had good results with the patch in the past. Also, if your a social smoker...you might want to inform your buddies of your quit date so they aren't asking you to go smoke with them. Another good idea if smoking while drinking is a weakness for you...avoid alcohol for a while.

Good luck!

kev3inp
01-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Right, Jord, good tips. I had to avoid having break the same way, or having one with coffee, and restructured my habits to avoid being in "smoking situations." Be prepared to put on weight as you eat more to assuage the oral craving, and you'll also eat more because you will discover how good everything actually tastes. I still get the urge if I've got 10 minutes to kill and nothing to do, but it'd destroy me. We spent all this money fixing the damage my smoking did to me, I'd hate to have to spend it again to somehow stay alive.

wes909
01-08-2010, 05:03 AM
thanks for the advice i havnt got to the point that i absolutely want to quit yet i was kinda a alcoholic but i haven't had a drink in at least 6 months

Jamski
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I was fortunate...my son (who was ten months old at the time) was hospitalized with double pneumonia his first Christmas and very nearly didn't make it. When the doctor told me I'd contributed to his sickness by smoking around him (if not immediately near him) I was devasted and quit cold turkey. It's been over fourteen years now. I can't say I've never craved another one, but I've managed. You will too.

wes909
01-17-2010, 09:43 PM
its been like a week now since i have had one and my god it seems to be getting worse

Jord_84
01-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I decided to give it a try again. I started the Atkins diet Sunday and decided it would be a good time to try again. I quit cold turkey and honestly, I have no desire to smoke. I realize its only been a few days, but I feel so much healthier. We'll see how bowling goes tonight, I may have to slap on a patch to avoid temptation.

Phil
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
i am in the process of quitting smoking as well, i tried cold turkey a few times but only found that it made me smoke more.... i then tried the patch, but it made me a very very angry person, just being pissed off all the time, so i am doing a step down program with cigarettes..... i started with 3 for ten days now i am on my first day of two, then in 10 days i will go to one a day and then hopefully be done..... i was supprised how easy it was for me to go from a pack and a half to 3 a day not hard at all, but going from three to two is proving to be a giant pain in my arse

james786
01-27-2010, 12:46 AM
just looking for advie on how anyone here has quit i have tried many times but just cant stop
We both are in almost same boat. I had also tried a lot to quite smoking. But I have no success in this. I hate smoking but I do. If you have find any idea about it pls share with me.

wes909
01-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Lol lately ive been trying to stay broke lol

james786
02-03-2010, 01:50 AM
First you should have strong will power to quite the smoking. If you have then you can easily quite it. But it everything take time.

Car Rental Brisbane
(http://www.diycarhire.com.au/car-hire-Brisbane.aspx)

WAC4504
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Hey guys and gals, I know quitting' not easy but you can do it. I quit about a year and a half ago, and I'm glad I did. My wife kept nagging me that I smoke to much, not for my health, but they cost to much. I was smoking 2 packs a day of ultra light 100's. You can imagine what kind of money I was spending on a habit that did nothing for me, except make it difficult to breath. Any way, the driving force was fear of lounge cancer and the wife nagging me about smoking too much. She would keep saying that I needed to cut back 'cause it cost so much. So I got really tired of listening to it and decided that if I couldn't smoke when I wanted to then I'd just fricking quit. I told my wife to buy me just 1 carton this time just in case, 'cause you know how you panic when you run out. I started by smoking just a few puffs at a time the first day, and managed to get by with only 3 cigarets. The second day I noticed that when I would take a puff I would get light headed. I managed to make 1 cigaret last all day by telling myself that I just smoked one, and by having 3/4 pack in my pocket there was really no anxiety( or, should I say fear of not having one if I need it). That was my last day of smoking, I figured if I could cut back to one a day I had it made. I kept that pack of cigarets in my pocket for about a week as a comfort zone you might say, and finally left them at home never to be seen again. I guess what it all boils down to is who's stronger? you or cigarets? And by the way, Double mint chewing gum helps a lot. Now for the good news, when you figure how much you saved on cigarets you can now buy a new bowling ball every 3 months. Trust me, I know it's not easy but hang in there, you can do it.

WAC4504
03-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Thought I check and see how everyone's doing with kicking the habit? So did you make it?, and if not how long did you go without one?

wes909
04-07-2010, 04:13 AM
sorry been along time since i got on i quit for 3 weeks and started back but i am about to try again i am going to try the gum this time

DanielMareina
04-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I quit smoking about 3 years ago. I will tell you, it will not get easier for a long time. I used the Nicorette patches to help at the start, and they worked amazingly well. The only problem is, you will still think about smoking during and after the patches. I thought about smoking every day for the first year and a half. The second year was only about once a week, and now after just over 3 years, it is practically completely gone. These thoughts won't be to smoke, but thinking of smoking that you used to do, how it felt to smoke, times you smoked. The big problem is that the human mind assosciates every sense (seeing,hearing,smelling, touching, and tasting) with every memory. This makes it so you will assosciate good times you had in your life that you smoked during with the smell of smoke. I felt like I was giving up part of my personality when I quit smoking, because I had done it for so long. Trust me, it was the hardest thing I ever did, but I don't regret quitting in the slightest. I do regret the 18 pounds I put on while quitting though. I ate 5 meals a day for 5 weeks after quitting. RIDICULOUS!

Jord_84
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Hahahah, it's not going well for me. I made it about a month before I got stressed out and caved. But I'm making plans to go back to college this summer to earn my CNA....so my new goal is to quit before school so I don't have to deal with cravings once I'm working.

WAC4504
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, hang in there and give it another try. You know that show of Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?, well I think they should make a show called are stronger than a cigarette. And like Daniel said it's one of the hardest things you will ever do, but you will be well respected for it. I know for me I was worried about not having one if I needed one, so I carried an open pack for a while until I was sure I was done with them, that kept the panic attacks at bay. Two things you gotta do to quit are, really want to, and believe in yourself. There's no shame in trying and failing, and I for applaud you for doing as well as you did, just keep trying and you'll make it. And I'm sure you know people like I do that won't even try 'cause they're afraid they can't do it. Makes a lot of sense now doesn't it? Keep trying guys, you can do it, I got faith in you.

10pinking
04-30-2010, 07:34 AM
I am a hopeless nicotine addict! Like an idiot I started when I was 34 years old (long painful story...) anyway tried to quit for 8 years with no success, gum, zyban, mints, you name it. I got so ticked at myself this past January when I broke yet another new year's resolution to quit. I decided to try electronic cigarettes.

They don't burn tobacco so there is no smell. They turn a solution of water nicotine and flavor into a vapor that looks and feels like smoke when you inhale it. The things have been a god-send for me because I haven't touched a cigarette since starting them. Maybe the best part about starting them in the NY winter is that I can use them indoors - no leaving the alley! A few other people leagues have tried them and most have been really happy with them... they are initially a little different than cigarettes and take some getting used to but once you do, real cigs taste like S**t and I personally can't smoke one.

I got mine here (http://www.greensmoke.com/11277.html) and it is the only one I have tried, but there are others out there too. Might be worth looking into... smoking has been banned inside here in NY for a long time now and people freak out when they see me "smoking" inside the alley!!

mrbill
05-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I Quit after inhailing for 23 years about 15 years ago.
My main reason for quiting was the colorfull stuff I was coffing up.
The weezzing and the bits of time that controlled my life where secondary.
Then I got my wife to quit some months after by saying "no smoking in the house"
And that for the kids sake aswell...
Clean and fat I am, my wife is still skinny thank goodness.......

owlish
05-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Wow. I just typed my headline and it really hit me. I need to quit, asap. Infact I will quit after I post this message. Time to ditch it. I've quit before and I know I can do it again.

owl

Hawkeye
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I smoked for 14 years and quit successfully six months ago. After many failed attempts with patches and draw down techniques I finally stopped. It took 1 pack of fake smokes with 2 weeks of Chantix. The first week was hell...but with determination it worked liked a champ. Unfortunatly my wife started back up again a couple months later but I am still smoke free.

DanielMareina
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
hi,
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. It's such an overused but true cliche. It works for many things, including how to help someone quit smoking. You can give them the idea, but certain things have to happen first before they can quit.If he isn't ready, if he isn't committed, if he isn't convinced and determined, or if he doesn't think he has a good reason to quit, it isn't going to happen.

As someone who tried at least 20 times to quit before being successful. YOU ARE CORRECT! It took until it started hurting my relationship with my now fiancee before I ever truly committed myself to kicking the habit. And even then I failed once, but got right back on the horse and tried again and haven't smoked in over 3 years. It is the hardest thing I have ever done, and I still to this day have to tell myself that I never want to go back every once in awhile when I see people smoking.

metalfan5527
06-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I wish i could help you, i just got tired of my gf nagging at me to stop so i did, Havent had a cig in 3 years now.

WAC4504
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey guys any one ever think about how much bowling equipment you can buy since you quit smoking? I used to smoke 2 packs a day, and with the price of cigarets what they are now days, I won't even think twice about buying a new ball. Just food for thought.

TheBob
07-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't smoke, but I was thinking about this the other day. If I smoked, I couldn't afford to bowl. If that's the case, I don't think I'll ever smoke.

Big Dog
07-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I just started back after 4 years of not smoking. It sure has taken all my fun money away. Dont start back. Ill try to quit again and again, till I get it right.

comfortably numb
07-25-2011, 02:37 PM
It's been one year to the day since anyone posted here....Wouldn't it be great to hear some success stories? Hopefully at least one of the above posters has remained smoke-free for the last 12 months or more. How 'bout it? They say quitting heroin is easier than quitting smoking...did you do it?

Trex
07-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Quit a little over two years ago, weened off slowly over a two year period....Went from three cartons per week to 2 cigs per day....At that point I laid them down never to pick it up again.

comfortably numb
07-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Trex, congrats! Maybe your story will encourage those who need to know that it CAN be done.

Trex
07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Trex, congrats! Maybe your story will encourage those who need to know that it CAN be done.

I hope so because when I quit....I told the wife, "I am giving up smoking but not the money".... So then I went on to buy bowling balls instead of Cig's ....Now I have a whole bunch of bowling balls....LOL

That's how I built my bowling ball arsenal...... :D