PDA

View Full Version : Getting started, how do I keep my wrist straight?

enigma_0Z
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Wohoo, my first bowling ball for Christmas! Been using house balls for several years now, and I got surprised by an upgrade to my own ball this Christmas. I want to start to learn how to throw a hook, so I got a 13.5 lb Ebonite Tornado drilled at label leverage. It goes pretty much straight if I don't put spin on the ball when I throw it, but it does have a which brings me to my question..

It seems that I can't really put *proper* spin on the ball unless I keep my wrist straight (not bent out at a 90º angle). When I try to throw it without a straight wrist, I just throw a helicopter ball that goes remarkably straight... and this agrees with what I've read... So how can I keep my wrist straight then? I need...

1. Techniques to keep my wrist straight... I don't really want to wear a wrist brace except as a last resort...
2. Exercises to strengthen my wrist. Pretty sure this will help with #1.

Or any other useful info. This is my first post here. :D

Graaille
01-07-2010, 06:45 PM
If you have access to free weights, start w/ wrist curl reps (5 slow sets of 10) that involve 3 pounds, then 5 pounds, then 8 pounds. The next week do the same thing only go 5 / 8 / 10 pounds. 2 weeks after that do 8 / 10 / 12 pounds. 3 weeks later you can do 10 / 12 / 15. You start low weights because the muscles you're trying to develop aren't huge, and the action you're asking them to do may be rather new to them - so they need time to adjust.

If you don't have access to free weights, you can do the same thing w/canned veggies then quart bottles, half gallon bottles, then gallon bottles (filled w/water preferably).

In both instances you don't really want to get your thumb involved, so work on 'rolling' the weight from your fingertips to the base of the thumb. Go slow and be consistant.

Beech
01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
If you can hold the ball in one hand, use your other hand to keep ur wrist straight untill your downswing, if that doesnt work try getting the ball drilled to a more aggressive drilling so you wont need to put that perfect spin. Another thing you could do is get fingertips in the ball that helps increase revs.

WAC4504
01-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I used to have a tornado, as a matter of fact it's what I started with. 2 1/2 years ago I had no idea what I was getting myself into, I remember thinking that the ball wouldn't hook 'till someone helped me out. Number one thing to remember is to throw it slow, the slower the better, trust me it will hook, I bowled many a 200 with that ball,but you can't throw it fast. As for the wrist I would use a wrist support/brace to start with, you can find them on line any where from 25.00 to 105.00 Good luck and good bowling.

nathan
02-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Wrist strength is a problem for me too. I bought a dumbbell, but don't use it as often I should. I also use a simple wrist support (I just got a new one for just $6! (http://www.bowlingball.com/columbia-300-classic-leather-wrist-device-right-handed-bowling-accessory.html)) Like you, I'd rather not need it but it helps with consistency, especially when I begin to get tired. I sometimes practice without it, and would eventually like to not need it, but it is a big help. (Hint: removing the palm-side metal part of the support feels more natural to me and makes it feel less awkward when switching from using the support to not using it.)

Beyond that all I can say is practice. That should help more than anything. (at least it did for me.)

JerseyJim
02-20-2010, 12:15 AM
One other thing you can do is to press against the ball with your index finger, that helps keep your wrist straight.