PDA

View Full Version : question about my thumb

alanj
01-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Im a lower rev tweener/higher rev stroker and after I bowled some practice earlier today I noticed something pretty strange.
I bowl a fingertip grip, and I know the reason my revs are as low as they are is because my thumb isnt clearing out fast enough for my fingers to get maximum lift. I try to fix this, but the more I actually think about it and try to do it, the more I end up spinning the ball, or "flicking" it off my wrist, it almost seems the more revs i try to put on the ball the less I actually get.

At the start of practice I noticed, like always, that my thumb would 'hang' in the hole for a split second. Not because my thumb hole is too tight, but because where my knuckle (3rd knuckle? the joint where your thumb actually meets your hand) hangs for a slight second, which causes me to loose revs and become inconsistent, and in extreme cases, causes my thumb to actually get stuck in the ball and my fingers fall out first, then the ball just kinda slowly rolls into the gutter...

But I noticed if I take my thumb out just slightly, just before that last knuckle (my thumb is maybe 95% of the way in the hole) that it doesnt hang at all, allowes me to get more revs on the ball, and helps me stay consistant with my line.

Is this a common technique or am I just weird? Could my thumb hanging be a pitch problem? I want to get some new equipment punched up soon, if it is a pitch problem, what should I tell my driller? (btw, its a different pro shop I will be going to so they will not have my info on file) All of the balls I have ever had drilled (from around 3 diff pro shops) have always had this "problem." Have I always had the wrong pitch? Or have I always been doing something wrong?

baked327
01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
It could be the pitch or you could be actually squeezing the ball at the bottom of your swing. Doing that could cause you to bend your thumb which will cause it to stick.

bowl1820
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
If the thumb joint at the base of the thumb is where your hanging. That could be one three things.A possible span problem (too short or long, I'd say it's too long.) or the hole needs a little more bevel or the hole maybe a little too big.

Before you get new equipment.
I'd try a little more bevel first on one of your current balls and see if it helps. Thats a simple change just beveling the top of the hole. if it works they should be able to adjust the span alittle (beveling shortens the span a little.)

If it doesn't work Id have my span checked/adjusted and check the thumb hole size. Plug the thumb and redrill it and try out the new fit. Once thats right, then get the new ball done that way.

Also if you like the proshop stick with it for a awhile and work with them to fine tune the grip.

TheRog
05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
I had the same problem and found out my pitch was at to big of a angle and so I had them fixed and now I have to get used to of not griping my thumb hole so much but it makes a huge difference.