PDA

View Full Version : Finger-Tip Grip?

Aerostyc
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Hi, I bowl a 107 average (I consider it around 120 though :S) and I'm only 12 years old, and this is my first year in league bowling. Looking around the lanes, I see people throwing hook shots, while I think I'm the only one in the juniors (there's probably one or two more) who is bowling straight.

I have a concept of how to hook using a plastic ball, and using two finger (thumbless) grip. Using two fingers, I can't get a good grip to throw my ball pretty far. So whenever I attempt on hooking the ball, it works, it's just it passes my mark, and goes straight somewhere in the area near the 10 pin.

I have experimented with a conventional grip to hook a plastic ball, and boy it strains and hurts my thumb like crazy lol. My ball also moves slow when I use conventional grip (10 mph?). I've heard of a finger-tip grip, and it's said that it is good for hooking a ball. I haven't tried it yet (I will during practice rounds in my league) but is there any tips or any guidelines for finger-tipped hooking? (I'm also left handed by the way)

Strike Domination
01-12-2010, 07:54 PM
It's not very easy to hook a conventional drilled ball without altering how you approach the line and throw the ball, but some can do it. For the rest, that's what fingertip grip is for. It's very common to be all over the place when you don't use your thumb, but usually the people I see doing this also have enough speed to keep it from over hooking. Since you're young you may not have the strength to not use your thumb and still get the ball down the lane far enough. If you're not going to use your thumb, there is the option of bowling two-handed, but odds are you will become much better using your thumb with a fingertip grip over time.

mike-boogie
01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I throw two fingered with a finger tip grip. my ball speed is around 11.5- 12 mph. I put the middle & ring finger in up amost to the knuckle. took alot of practice, but it can be mastered! good luck

Aerostyc
01-13-2010, 05:48 PM
So do you reckon I should buy a entry level ball first? Or re-drill my plastic ball :S?
I don't understand how different balls can do different things (reactive and plastic)

Strike Domination
01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
If you're going to hook it, get an entry level reactive. That way you have something to read whether or not you did the release right.

mike-boogie
01-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I agree, something like a tropical storm or even a urethane like brunswick groove urethane. You can hook a plastic ball though two fingered, especially on a dry lane :)

Drano
01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree, something like a tropical storm or even a urethane like brunswick groove urethane. You can hook a plastic ball though two fingered, especially on a dry lane :)

i can hook a plastic ball on a fresh house shot with my thumb :D

though it isn't a good thing.. :(

WAC4504
01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Any entry level ball should do you well, and finger tip grips for sure.I would also recomend using the thumb. I would also recommend taking some lessons when you get the new ball,and if that can't be done then find someone with a high average who bowls the way you want to and learn from them. Good luck and good bowling - Bill