PDA

View Full Version : New Bowler Question

pythons
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello Everyone. I am a new bowler currenlty using a Columbia White Dot, throwing straight shot. I would like like to start to take the next step. My question is, what is a good ball to start to learn a little hook. I would like something decent, but good value and something I can use for awhile. Thanks for any help.

Stormed1
01-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Tropical Storm, Brunswick Power Groove, Columbia Jazz or the Ebonite Tornado are all viable options for the next step up. If you want to spend a little more you can look at the Columbia Freeze

pythons
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM
How bout the Roto Grip Mars? I have been reading up on that. Is that something I could look in to?

Ldydbob
01-22-2010, 09:44 AM
I have found that bowlingball.com is a great place to start. because you are new look for a ball on their perfect scale between 150 and 175. This will give you an agressive ball that you should be able to easily learn to control. Then the next step is to practice. Try to shoot at least 10 games a week (2-3 days) and remember the 3 most important things in bowling : 1. Accuracy, 2. Accuracy, & 3. Accuracy !

Let me know if I can be of any help. Love the game and love helping others achieve the dream even better!

Stormed1
01-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Marrs is a great ball and would be fine also. It ,like the freeze is stronger than the first group of balls I listed. At that same price point you also have the Fast & Furious from Storm and the Hammer Vibes

WAC4504
01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
I remember what it was like just a couple years ago when I started, I thought there was something wrong with the ball till I slowed it down. I had a problem with throwing way to hard, and trying to drive the ball. Finally some one explained to me that the ball was made to hook on its own and all I had to do is flip it off my fingers and let it roll. So what ever ball you choose remember to let the ball do the work, as some one pointed out that there was no sense spending all that money on a ball if you're not going to let it do its job. Good luck .
Bill

mike-boogie
01-23-2010, 12:45 AM
tropical storm and ebonite tornado are both good balls for the price! My 9 yr old son just got a tropical, and has raised avg 30 pins and wife throws tornado and it's perfect 4 beginning to hook!

crump582
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I bought the Vibe Onyx... I am in the same boat as you. I'm still not getting much movement in my ball, but I know it's me, not the ball. I always heard good thiings about Hammer so I was leaning to the Vie when I went to the Pro Shop to look and the guy there agreed with me so I got it. I got it drilled finger-tip and not very aggressive. I wish I would have had it drilled a little more aggressively as I have low revs and am a stroker, but I am doing pretty good with it so far. GOOD LUCK!

Stormed1
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
One nice thing about todays equipment is the adjustability of the coverstock. You can go to your pro shop and have them put some surface on the ball by sanding it on their spinner. If you have them knock the polish off it will make it read slightly sooner. If you have them take it to 2k abralon it will read even sooner and handle more oil

Beech
03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
you should talk to your local pro shop owner, he probly can help you more ingeneral with it. But a Tropical Strom would be a good ball to start throwing a hook, imo they have the most hook out of the entry level hook balls. If your looking to spend a little more money a Columbia Freeze or the hammer Vide series is what you could look into.