PDA

View Full Version : Slumps! How Do You Handle Them??

willard46
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Slumps! How Do You Handle Them??

Just A general question, post your technique and you may help someone else.

Stormed1
01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I know it's hard not to do but don't press. Don't overthink. Just relax and throw the ball

WAC4504
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I know it's not easy over coming a slump, but try not to beat your self up over it or it last longer. What I like to do is have some one I trust watch me bowl and tell me what they see. And what really sucks is that it is usually something so small that you over look it every time. Such as drifting on your approach or not finishing the follow through. Good luck and good bowling Bill

baked327
01-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I like to do the same as above. Ask someone you trust to watch and let them tell you what they see.

Something else i like to do is video tape myself. I have a dvd of me bowling well and it is something I go back to and use to compare other videos to in order to see how things may be different.

Just remember to relax and let the ball work for you.

tracy
01-23-2010, 02:28 PM
when i get into a slump, i go back to my very basics of bowling and that usually brings me back. speed and my timing are usually the culprit.

emotap r
01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
i think i know exactly how you felt..that is the problem with me..everytime i was in that mood..i bowl even worst..i think i suffer from "analysis paralysis." The more i wanna do it right ..the worst I'll become...:o

bowl1820
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm with Tracy "Go back to the basic's" forget the trick hand positions, fancy footwork etc. Just use the basic simple shot routines.
If I really feel like going the extra mile, reset the equipment. Strip the tape out of the thumbhole, new fingergrips all around and resuface the ball back to OOB or my generic go-to surface texture.

Beech
01-26-2010, 12:06 AM
idk who posted this but i use it when i starting overthrowing the ball. K.I.S.S; Keep it simple stupid. i read it on here and use it so thank you to ever posted that :p

JAnderson
02-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Don't try to "bowl out of the slump". If you're in a slump, something must change or you'll stay in a slump.

Coaches are the best short-cuts out of a slump.

Video can help, but only if we have video of ourselves when not in a slump to compare to. Let someone else do the comparing. We're each too emotionally attached to our own performance and aren't always as honest with ourselves as someone else can be.

JAnderson
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
... and how could I forget? Get your equipment checked. Our bodies change as we age, gain weight, lose weight, gain muscle, recover from injury, etc.

nathan
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Just A general question, post your technique and you may help someone else.

I'll let you know when I get out of mine. :mad:

I'm probably just thinking too much and trying too hard.

J Anderson
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I'll let you know when I get out of mine. :mad:

I'm probably just thinking too much and trying too hard.

Thinking too much between shots isn't always bad. The problem is when we focus on what we did wrong. For example, say that I pulled the ball in the first frame. I start thinking don't pull the ball. I get so focused on whether or not I'm going to pull, that I pull it again. Then the harder I try the more I pull.
I should be thinking, 'OK, I pulled it. Why did I pull it? Was I off balance? Did my feet get ahead of the swing and force me to muscle the shot? etc.' Then I can focus on something positive like pushing the ball out at the right time in my approach.

Jord_84
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
with cigarettes and beer :D

mrbill
02-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Thinking too much between shots isn't always bad. The problem is when we focus on what we did wrong. For example, say that I pulled the ball in the first frame. I start thinking don't pull the ball. I get so focused on whether or not I'm going to pull, that I pull it again. Then the harder I try the more I pull.
I should be thinking, 'OK, I pulled it. Why did I pull it? Was I off balance? Did my feet get ahead of the swing and force me to muscle the shot? etc.' Then I can focus on something positive like pushing the ball out at the right time in my approach.

This is where I'm at and I am not in a slump ATM:rolleyes: Do this any and all the time^^^:)

zen
03-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I watch myself on video and spot what I'm doing wrong pretty quickly. I also go back to the basics like others have already said.