PDA

View Full Version : INVASION review by Storm staffer Jeff Richgels

Riggs
01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I drilled two INVASIONs. (Also drilled one REIGN OF FIRE – review is in a separate thread.)

Storm info: The INVASION is Storm's newest Premier line ball with the new R3X coverstock and Origin core. R3X is the third generation of Reactor coverstock and it has the highest Ra values Storm has produced, which means more ball motion in oil. C.A.T.S. Testing found a 9 percent increase in friction values in the oil and an increase of 5 down the lane. Box finish is 4,000 Ab. It's an asymmetrical designed to rev quickly with a more defined breakpoint unlike any prior design found on the market. The new Origin core has a 2.48 RG value with .057 total differential and a .017 intermediate differential. Storm said C.A.T.S., testing showed a start into the hook phase 3 feet sooner and a stronger entry angle to the pocket than Storm's Shape-Lock HD core with the same coverstock. Usually earlier into the hook phase means less entry angle.

INVASION #1 -- 5 1/4 x 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 pin buffer. Pin is above bridge with PSA (preferred spin axis/mass bias) kicked right at about a 60 degree drilling angle.

This is my favorite strong drilling that I have had much success with in numerous balls through the years. It's what I have in two current favorites – a VIRTUAL ENERGY and a REIGN.

My weight hole is at P2, as I didn't want to increase or decrease my flare.

As related to me by my doubles partner Steve Richter, a Silver Level USBC coach and Roto-Grip staffer, balance hole positions P1, P2, P3, P4 are based on a fairly new term called the Gradient Line, which goes from the PAP to the PSA (mass bias). The Gradient Line is segmented into four P points and each has a different characteristic. To find them, take the gradient line length and divide by three. For example, a 4 1/2 long gradient line divided by 3 = 1 1/2 inches per segment from the PAP to PSA.

P1 (on PAP) Reduces flare in the drilled ball by 21%
P2 Maintains flare in drilled ball
P3 Increases flare in the drilled ball by 21%
P4 (on PSA) Increases flare in the drilled ball by 42%

In general, going from P1 to P4 is going from a quicker transition at the breakpoint to a smoother transition as more flare gets the ball to start up earlier and burn energy earlier.

INVASION # 2 -- 2 1/2 x 5 x 1 1/2 pin buffer. Weight hole between P1 and P2 on my mid-line. This drilling came from my doubles partner Richter. It's a drilling I have not used in a long time but he recommended I try it again for wet/dry typical house china shots, fresh Sport/Challenge shots where you have to go straighter, and any condition where you want to smooth out very fresh backends. It's a drilling that tends to either work (hit) or not.

I'd heard that the INVASION was the strongest ball Storm has made – up to 4-5 boards more than the VIRTUAL GRAVITY. That didn't exactly thrill me since while I've loved the VG and had a lot of success with it, it's hard for me to imagine having a lot of use for anything with more hook. Mike Jasnau measured me at 17.5-18 mph with about 325 rpm on CATS in 2007 and while that's a good balance it's not usually so good for super strong equipment. Too much strength at the breakpoint has made some balls that a lot of people loved very conditional for me, including the T-ROAD SOLID, GRAVITY SHIFT and PYRO.

After talking with Steve Richter, I decided on my favorite strong drilling as well as the control drilling. I didn't even want to try a pin down as I figured that would be a once or twice a year ball – have a VG pin-in-the-palm that is awesome a couple times a year and otherwise just too much for me.

My tests so far have been on the fresh but hooking wet/dry house shot on old wood that is the shot for our City Tournament minor events and a fresh wet/dry house shot with a moderate puddle on relatively new Brunswick ProAnvils.

The INVASION was everything I'd heard. At 4,000 box finish the strong INVASION hooked about the same as a fresh 500 Ab (with a used pad so it’s not unreal coarse) similar strong drilling VG and a fresh 1,000 Ab box finish pin down REIGN OF FIRE. If I took the INVASION to 500 or 1,000 I'm sure it would be 4-5 boards more than both. And it was about an arrow more than a weaker pin VG that was 2,000 Ab with a lot of lane shine, although the movement was totally different.

The strong INVASION was too strong for the wood – I had to force it to the break point some and the move was too abrupt to easily control -- but it gave me an awesome look on the synthetics. It got to the breakpoint easily and made a sharp and wickedly strong and very continuous move that gave me 5 boards of breakpoint area to carry. The move reminded me a lot of the PARADIGM -- a ball I've always loved and still carry one of –- except the INVASION showed no signs of stopping its move as the PARADIGM sometimes would (not always a bad thing if you can get those stop at the pocket flush strikes going, BTW).

An INVASION drilled strong is going to be an awesome ball for anyone looking for that hook monster, with plenty of extra hook possible by taking it down to rougher than the box finish. Super crankers, especially with slower ball speed, may have trouble controlling it … which brings me to my second INVASION.

On the wood, I couldn't really move right with my feet with the weaker INVASION but I picked up a lot of hold. Not surprisingly I also could throw the weaker one through the breakpoint – this drilling just isn't designed for standing left and throwing right.

On the synthetics it gave me exactly what I hoped for – I could get my feet about 3 boards right of where I was standing with the strong one and essentially throw it anywhere right and NOT see overreaction. The ball simply got to the dry, made a move and rolled to the pocket however many boards I swung it. I was standing about 23 and could essentially hit anywhere from 14 or so to the right provided it was going to the right. What was truly comical was that it was hitting like a much stronger drilled ball with no weak 10s and just one ring 10 in a game. I had a 10-bagger or so – this was a look that produces 300s and 800s.

Both INVASIONS provided great carry on the synthetics, much less on the wood where they were clearly the wrong ball choice.

With the weaker INVASION I could play in about the same place as the weaker VG, which would read the dry a lot harder and go high if thrown right too early.

The synthetics I bowled on is a house that is known for a lot of hook for relatively new synthetics so I'm thinking I may get a lot more use out of the INVASION than I thought. (Of course, at 4,000 Ab no ball should need that much oil.) The weak drilled one could be a great ball for fresh team event at USBCs this year – depending what the shot is, of course.

If you're someone who likes strong asymmetrical nuggets, you oughta like the INVASION. If that's not your cup of tea I'd avoid it – it's as advertised. In other words. Drilled strong, it's a ball to move inside with and to play in the oil with. And it's breakpoint-dominant as opposed to midlane-dominant. And drilled with a control drilling like a tried it seems to have some great potential.

I'll try to add an update when I get a chance to try it on heavier oil and sport conditions, which should happen the next couple of weekends.