PDA

View Full Version : returning to game and frustrated, advice please

pin hunter
01-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Hello all,

My entrance to the forum is long overdue and finally prompted by an ugly performance last night in league play. I am searching for some advice so I can better my performance to a level i know I am capable of.

A little about me: I am returning to bowling after a 10+ yr hiatus. I also realize that a considerable amount of my performance troubles stem from the ball I use which also had a 10+ yr hiatus. I use a columbia 300 fever reactive ball (http://columbia300.com/products/detail_retired_balls/fever_blue/) drilled conventional, 14lb. and currently hold a 135 avg. I throw a straight ball and have experimented with trying different finger positioning, etc to get better performance but nothing has worked. I also believe my speed is an issue. I have experimented with changing my approach, etc and get my speed down to 18.5mph on average (sometimes reaching above 20mph). I feel as if I am trying to accomplish things with this ball that are not possible.

I believe that moving into a new ball (15lb, fingertip grip, set up for an actual hook shot) would better my game on several levels.

I would like to ask advice on a good course of action. I would like a new ball but without knowing what is best to get for my situation, i have a hard time justifying spending $150+ for ball, drilling, etc without knowing if it will truly improve my game or I will become frustrated with a new more expensive ball!

There is a facility with a USBC certified instructor available near where I live. Would it be worth a session or two to gain his input on what i can do to improve my game/his advice on what type of ball would be best to move into?

Any other advice is more than welcome.

Thank you for bearing with the length of this post, but I feel the more information the better for quality advice!

cheers,
pin hunter

Graaille
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
First, welcome to BB.

Good coaching is always a better investment than a new ball, there may be elements of your game that you can improve that will make the ball you have work better for you. I cannot stress this enough even though I am a self proclaimed ball junkie. Take that $150 and use it to get 2-3 sets of lessons from a good coach, (and the elements of a good coach are discussed here (http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthread.php?t=3651)), one lesson a month, and the two of you can decide what adjustments need to be made with your bowling equipment. It may be as simple as getting your current ball plugged and redrilled w/a different layout, dropping your ballspeed, and playing a slightly different line will make the biggest immediate change.

Stormed1
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
There are many factors which can come into play. Not the least of which is your ball probably is too light and allowing you to muscle your swing. As Graaille said above a couple of sessions with a coach would be the best way to start. The coach can evaluate what your doing and make recomendations as to a good path to follow.

Beech
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
welcome to the forum.
I had almost the exact same problem you had. In my 2nd year throwing a hook i avged about 130-135. Like you i also throw the ball fairly hard i avg about 20mph. Also like you i was using a retired ball (http://hammerbowling.com/products/product_detail/road_hawg/)

So after i got a job saved some money i went to the local pro shop, and he has helped me a lot. Now into my 4th year throwing a hook my avg practing around 10 weeks on the avg its 192, the main problem was my ball really didnt work for what i wanted it to do. You might have to get a good ball because with speed it's like lowering the ball down a whole level.

So either way a good ball, or a coach would help a lot.

If you where looking into buying a ball the Hammer jigsaw/ Jigsaw corner would be a good one to get because its got a strong backend and youd beable to throw it with your speed. Another ball could be the Storm invasion coming out, dont knwo to much about it sorry. Im currently throwing the Storm Virtual Energy, and the Hammer black widow venom and i can get them to come back enough :D

good luck with your choice

pin hunter
01-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Graaille, Stormed and Beech thanks for the input and recommendations to examine utilizing a few coaching sessions instead of jumping into a new ball and hoping something worked out.

After speaking to the coach that is in my area, I have scheduled my first session on Feb 6th. He echoed several points you all brought up, including redrilling my current ball to a fingertip grip (which I wanted to move to) and becoming used to the mechanics before spending $$ on something that might not work for my style.

Thanks again for your time and input, it is appreciated!

Stormed1
01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
lso once you have redrilled your old ball and get accustomed to the fingertip grip your local pro shop will be able to better assist you in picking the correct ball and layout for the results your looking for

pin hunter
02-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey guys just wanted to give an update on progress.

So after having my ball redrilled for fingertip grip I had my coaching session which was a one-on-one for 1.5hrs. I can honestly say, BEST MONEY I have spent! Better than purchasing a new ball.

I took to the new instruction quite well, and two days later in league play bowled +34, +36, +5 above average. This may be an anomaly as many have said that scores will go down before up, but I am also rolling much more consistently. I now have to work on converting spares (where to line up given new roll path of my ball) and continue with the overall consistency.

Overall a much better feel to the ball/approach/delivery and a better understanding of how to correct errors when they do occur. For anyone who may be in the same position that I faced, trust the wisdom of those that answered my original post get a coaching session or two and be sure to attend with an open mind to change!

Once again, thanks for the coaching recommendation!

Stormed1
02-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Glad to hear that things are working out better for you

JAnderson
02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
This may be an anomaly as many have said that scores will go down before up

Yes, but sometimes even a small change can reap big rewards quickly. Generally thought, it takes some times to assimilate new mechanics into your game. As long as you know and accept that going in, you can't go wrong. In fact, it may even help shorten the "slump" because instead of being negative, you accept the temporary situation as a means to a better end.

Good luck and thanks for the update on your progress.