PDA

View Full Version : Great... another hobby I'm hooked on...

crump582
01-27-2010, 04:12 PM
OK... I spent a LOT of my childhood at the bowling alley. I went with my grandpa and he bowled in a league and I played video games in the arcade. I was not that interested when I was young... now I'm 30 and am finding a lot of fun at the bowling alley. So... I've been a couple times this month, which takes me to about 10 times in the last 10 years. Buddy at work invites me to join a league... I'm in.

My question... Which ball do I buy? I've been doing some reading and checking on things, but my question is more of what tyoe is good for ME. I'm a big guy, pretty strong, and feel like I throw the ball pretty hard, but to this point it has VERY little curve at all, as in none. My scores are ranging from 150 to 170, not very good. I like to be good at stuff... so I'm OK with spending a little money if it saves me down the road.

So I need to know what ball to get... to start my new hobby. I'm liking what I read about the Hammer Vibe Onyx. Would this be a respectable ball for a beginner? I'm not a fan of the hideous colored balls and the Onyx is pretty plain and black.

Anyway... I'm off to read some more and look forward to the info folks!

Beech
01-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Are you using a finger tip setup at the moment/avg rev? What kindof lanes do you throw on? what would you say the lane conditions are usally(dry,oily,medium).

By what you gave, its oily lanes usally, but idk if you use a finger tip grip for your revs if you know it. if you got low revs like me and throw it hard up the 2nd arrow i could suggest a few bowling balls. If your looking into the storm brand the new Storm Invasion is coming out which is something you could look into. Another ball could be the Mutant Cell if you bowl on heavy oiled lanes. In hammer you could look into the Jigsaw corner seems to be very strong from what ive seen (getting one myself soon)

crump582
01-28-2010, 07:32 AM
That's the thing... I have no clue what my speed or revs are. I know what it means, but not what mine are. How do I find out what mine are?

I have used nothing but house balls as of yet so I've not tried a fingertip ball. Should the first ball I buy be a fingertip ball? My grandfather has a Hammer fingertip ball that is about 15 years old I'd say, but my hands are WAY bigger than his. Would it be worth re-drilling at this point? I don't know the cost on that.

As far as the lanes, I have no clue. Not even sure what bowling alley we will be in a league at... he is looking for us.

I guess I just wanted some opinions on a good ball to start with that would allow the most versatillity... until I figure out what I need. I also don't know how to decide on a regular grip or fingertip.

Beech
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Well than if your starting out, get an entry level hook ball, the best ive tried imo is the Storm Tropical series most agressive out of all the balls in its level. YOu could mabe look into the next level at Columbia Freeze or the Hammer vibe series. As for fingertip grip, its a lot diffrent from Conventinal grip, it will generate more rev. As for your grandfathers ball, a lot has changed in the past 15 years i think, the coverstocks are a lot stronger now, theres pros and cons id just get a new ball.

Good luck with your decision.

crump582
01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a plan. I appreciate the help.

Would it hurt to go ahead and get a fingertip ball and just get used to it? I'm gonna have to pretty much re-do or learn everything... I guess I could just add that change to the list.

Zoomie
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
If you have a pro shop tell the ball driller your interests and see if there is a decent ball that was left there by someone and not picked up. Have seen many balls laying around that people just leave. Tell him what you are looking for (mild hook, fingertip,) and have him drill it up for you. Can save you some money until you learn more about the equipment. Good luck and watch it on TV, youd be amazed how much you can learn from watching others bowl. As far as speed.....it makes you miss fast thats all.

Beech
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
If your starting over again go ahead and get fingertips, learn to use them and get used to it. Fingertips only took me about 3-4 weeks to get used to it.

crump582
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Cool... that's the way I was leaning...

Now to decide on a ball!

crump582
02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Well... I placed my order yesterday. Onyx Vibe it is. Should be drilled in a few days and I get to try it out!

slowfaller
03-26-2010, 03:52 AM
So how is everything going w/ your Vibe?

crump582
04-06-2010, 04:59 PM
It's been awesome. I bowling pretty good I guess... about 145-150 the last few weeks. The Vibe has been really good... hooking nice even though I had it drilled pretty generic. I just got a Red Raw Hammer Jacked that I will get drilled in the next week or so... gonna be more aggressive.

I'm having some problems with spares now that the ball is breaking better for me, but I am going to use my strike ball for a while then decide if I want a spare ball or not.

slowfaller
04-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Cool, glad its working. My wife upgraded to an Emerald Vibe w/ fingertips for the first time and is having trouble adjusting. She cant get to hook so to prove to her it would I jammed my fingers in her ball and threw it two-fingered and it hooked right into the pocket, the funny thing was I'm a lefty and threw it righty haha even suprised myself I can throw righty.

I don't use a spare ball and have success picking up spares. Right now I have a Raw Hammer Burn brought down to 1000 grit and a Jigsaw Corner and when picking up spares I just roll it hard and straight for those single pin pick-ups.

Chris

DanielMareina
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I am glad to hear that your ball is working out for you. It will take some getting used to before your scores start going up. I do recommend that everyone use a spare ball. If you watch the pros, the only one thing that they all do the same is throw a polyester spare ball. No matter what the lane conditions are, the spare ball goes straight. This makes everything much easier. Just remember that strikes are nice and all, but a game of only 9 spares is a 190 and a game that you strike once every two frames and never get a spare can't shoot above 140. Spares are the most important shot in bowling, they deserve a ball dedicated to them.

Daniel Mareina
Storm Staff Member
Bowling Center Manager/Pro Shop Operator/Bowling Coach