PDA

View Full Version : Pin and top weight help

D555F
01-29-2010, 08:52 AM
When purchasing a new ball, how do you know what pin and top weight to choose? Does it go buy how your release is?

any help would be great. From my understanding a bigger pin means more hook? but again i have no idea what this stuff means anymore haha

thanks

Dom

Stormed1
01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Both are related to what kind of drilling you want to put on the ball. If you are looking to do a pin up drilling n( which in most cases will result in a quicker response to friction) longer pins will result in the ball having thumb weight. This allows the driller to put a weight hole in a position tht will result in an increase of the balls differential. Higher top weights with shorter pin lengths tend to limit your options more

D555F
01-29-2010, 09:42 AM
im looking into picking up the storm dimension 2 and the storm reign of fire....what would be a good top weight and pin for me to get? i have no knowledge on drilling i normally tell my pro shop guy what i want it to do and he drills lol.

i DO NOT like a heavy backenend hook, but a big hook is nice.

D555F
01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
i really like the storm second dimension and the new storm invasion i might those two up the more reading i do. Why do some websites let you choose a pin and top weight and some websites dont? how does the ball come if i cannot choose a top weight and pin?

Strike Domination
01-29-2010, 06:13 PM
They will give you whatever pin and top they want if you don't specify. I think there's a comment box upon checkout that you can put your request in if the site doesn't have that option. I would get 2-3" pins, generally speaking, if you don't like a big backend. That might allow the driller to drill pin up still if he sees it necessary, but it will be most flexible for pin down and a weight hole if needed. I wouldn't get a top higher than 2.5 or so.

As for your ball choices, I saw your other thread. I agree with the Reign of Fire since you have trouble getting the ball to hook on the synthetics. But since your XXX hooks nicely on the wood I think something more mid-range would be best. Like the Fast or maybe the Reign. When the lanes get drier, neither the 2D or RoF would be very good in my opinion.

jakester
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
If you don't specify and you buy one off the internet you're likely to get screwed. They may dump a ball on you that has a one inch pin and no top weight, which may be better for a left hander. Talk to you pro shop. You'll do okay with 2-3 top and 2-3 pin unless you want something exotic.

Stormed1
02-16-2010, 04:19 AM
It's all related to what type of drilling you want and also to your span. As mentioned above a generic pin would be 2-3 and 2.5-3.5 for top weight. If you have larrge fingers and thumb you can get away with a little higher top weight and vice cersa if you have small. Talk to your driller for his recomendations