PDA

View Full Version : Wanta try the "one step?"

southpaw Bob
01-29-2010, 10:51 AM
If you have knee or hip problems but hate the idea of limiting your bowling because of the pain, try the “one step” approach. When I was in my 60’s, I had trouble with knee pain and thought I might have to quit or at least limit my bowling. After talking with my pro at the alleys, he ask me if I ever tried a one step approach instead of my usual 4 step approach. When I said no, he took me to the foul line and showed me how to push the ball out fully and allow it to swing like a pendulum and as it came forward from the back swing, take a single step toward my target and release the ball at the finish of that step. Wow! How easy was that? I not only put much less strain and pain on my knees, but after some practice, my accuracy was better than ever.

I’m 74 years old now and still using my mostly perfected one step approach and bowling at a league average of 185 to 190. I never bowled an average over 170 in my old 4 step approach days.

The one step takes a little practice but it’s really easy when you get the hang of it. Sometimes now I wonder why I ever bothered to spend all of that energy on a 4 step.

Tip, using the one step kinda changes your angles at delivery and you’ll need to revisit your targeting lines especially for your spare shots. That’s what takes the most practice, getting yourself oriented to your target and finding the correct distance to stand from the foul line so you finish your step near but not to near or far from the foul line.