PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing ball

Tony in Iowa
01-30-2010, 02:36 PM
I haven't bowled for about 7 years. I used to bowl about 180 average with a decent hook but poor spare pickup. I left for college in 2002 and never brought my balls because of how heavy they were. I finally decided to pick it back up so last time I flew back home I was going to bring my the balls with me but it turns out my parents threw them in the attic and my main ball broke almost in half. It was an Ebonite Matrix Trimax that I loved. So now I need to buy a nice high performance ball to get going again. I'd prefer an Ebonite since I've had good luck with them. I've been looking at the current offerings of Ebonite and the other big manufacturers but I'm thoroughly confused as to which ball I should go to? What's the grandson of the ball I had? What would you guys recommend?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Graaille
01-30-2010, 04:09 PM
First, welcome to BB.

Some info about how you bowl would be appropriate, as well as where you'd be bowling. Does the house have light oil, medium oil, or heavy oil (unlikely - very few places put out true heavy oil anymore.) Does the house have synthetic lanes or wood lanes. Where you/are you speed dominant or rev dominant? All these things will factor into ball choice these days.

From Ebonite (who now also make Track, Columbia 300, and Hammer balls) you've got a choice of just about anything you'd hope for. I've heard good things about the Magic series of balls, and on the TOC broadcast - the Mission did very well.

Other options from their plants would be:

Track: 715 series (A, C) , 505 series (A,C)

Columbia 300: The Swing series and the Noize series are both good lines to take a look at.

Hammer: Any of the balls in the Raw Hammer line: (Psycho, Jacked, Burn, Acid), and the Widow line is good if you're willing to clean your equipment after every game.

Hope that helps.

crzysnake137
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
im a storm guy, i ABOLUTLY LOVE MY REIGN! The best $200 i have ever spent on a ball, gets back from anywhere, im a storm guys, hope this helps

Tony in Iowa
02-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I ended up buying an Ebonite Evolve and I'm documenting the adventure and results in my blog...