PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Guthrie, OK and a lil-lot about me

mattro
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
I just found this site and I'm really looking forward to gaining some knowledge and help as I try bowling again.

I just picked up bowling after about a 5 yr lay off. My mother called me one day and told me I was going to bowl in a league with her and my sisters on a generation gap league, so I'm back to bowling and love it once again. I'm one of those people that wants to be the best at anything I do so I'm trying to find any little piece of info that may help me get better.

Currently my average is terrible at 145ish but my huge problem is picking up spares. It seems like I over compensate with my angles to pick up single pins spares. My high game several years ago was a 232 on my 21st b-day. High game this go-around is only 179, but I can feel it's right there to getting better.

I'm not too understanding on all the high tech bowling lingo so I apologize if I dumb down anything that I say or questions I ask. I watch bowling on TV so that is where I get any of my know how, and from my mom who was a pretty good amateur back in her day.

I throw an old school Columbia Black Knight 16lb ball and am right handed. Typical shot for me is right foot on the 2nd dot from the right and target the 2nd arrow. Depending on the lane conditions I may move but this is my main stay shot.

Sorry to bore anyone, but thanks for the read.

dbdweeb
02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Hey!

I'm an Okie by birth though I seldom confess it. My folks grew up in Chandler and Wellston. Used to do a lot of catfishing on the Cimarron with Grand Pa.

My theory is to get the best equipment so then the only thing left to blame is self. ;)

Stormed1
02-24-2010, 01:00 AM
One of the first things that would help your scoring is an equipment upgrade. The Black Knight is plastic and has a pancake weight block so it has very little core dynamics and a hard shell.An entry level resin ball would be a HUGE step up without a lot of expense.

mrbill
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Like bill said Get a better strike ball but, You can use your black knight for spares.
Saying that and to help with your spare problem is.
1) when you practice shoot for the 7 or the 10 pin first then go for the pocket.
2) Always try to roll the ball stright for spares and take the oil pattrens out of the equation.
3) use the Arrows as Cross hairs like a gun and roll the ball cross lane with arm swing and follow though right at the spare pin.
4) To have fun and help with spares and learn the scoring equipment, Play the game who can get the lowist score.
The way you do this is on your first ball you go for the side pins, 7 or 10 pins then same on 2nd shot, this is prime .
If you get a gutter it counts as a strike.
You also need to hit at least 1 pin or it's counted as a spare.

Good luck and I hope you do great in your league Matt

WAC4504
02-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Welcome aboard Matt, good to have you on the site, and I'm sure if you have a question, some one will have an answer.