PDA

View Full Version : PBA announces new formats for its 50th anniversary season

onefrombills
09-04-2008, 04:53 AM
By Sherry Perez
PBA Communications

SEATTLE - For its 50th Anniversary season, the Professional Bowlers Association Tour has announced a unique schedule of championship events on ESPN that will feature formats built to celebrate the game and test all facets of the world's greatest players.

The schedule will be highlighted by the four distinct major championships, a made-for TV celebrity doubles event, the return of the PBA Women's Series, a Mixed Doubles Championship and special Golden Anniversary Championship that will find senior pros battling on ESPN for the first time in seven years.

The season will also crown champions on each of the PBA Tour's six challenging lane oil patterns. Introduced to the Tour this upcoming season will be mixed pattern events, featuring multiple combinations of the PBA patterns. Finally, revolutionary events will crown Champions in Match Play, Marathon, Ultimate Scoring, Plastic Ball and Eliminator formats.

"This season is built for excitement and for the fans," said PBA Tour Commissioner Fred Schreyer. "A lot of arguments will be settled and each week will have its own distinct, educational and compelling storyline."

In addition to the regular season schedule and Player of the Year race, there will be three distinct "swings" during the season --- Grand Slam, Extreme Swing and Versatility Swing --- with separate points standings kept.

Baroncad
09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
This is cool, I just hope ESPN will promote this with more TV spots.

onefrombills
09-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I think ESPN has done a great job with the show and I too hope they keep it up

The KingPin
09-06-2008, 10:04 AM
By Sherry Perez
PBA Communications

SEATTLE - For its 50th Anniversary season, the Professional Bowlers Association Tour has announced a unique schedule of championship events on ESPN that will feature formats built to celebrate the game and test all facets of the world's greatest players.

The schedule will be highlighted by the four distinct major championships, a made-for TV celebrity doubles event, the return of the PBA Women's Series, a Mixed Doubles Championship and special Golden Anniversary Championship that will find senior pros battling on ESPN for the first time in seven years.

The season will also crown champions on each of the PBA Tour's six challenging lane oil patterns. Introduced to the Tour this upcoming season will be mixed pattern events, featuring multiple combinations of the PBA patterns. Finally, revolutionary events will crown Champions in Match Play, Marathon, Ultimate Scoring, Plastic Ball and Eliminator formats.

"This season is built for excitement and for the fans," said PBA Tour Commissioner Fred Schreyer. "A lot of arguments will be settled and each week will have its own distinct, educational and compelling storyline."

In addition to the regular season schedule and Player of the Year race, there will be three distinct "swings" during the season --- Grand Slam, Extreme Swing and Versatility Swing --- with separate points standings kept.

Great post. I think that the PBA will hopefully attract more sponsors and event centers to want to participate this year. This will be great to watch.

PSBA10
09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
I also hope the PBA can attract new sponsors. I doubt it will happen as long as bowling is in the Sunday 1:00pm time slot on ESPN. There is too much competition for viewership. Bowling is in direct competition with the NFL AND NASCAR. Competing against one...maybe, but both????

onefrombills
09-06-2008, 04:11 PM
With the attention that the Summer series and woman's tourney has been going ...It should be EZ to get more sponsors

The KingPin
09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
With the attention that the Summer series and woman's tourney has been going ...It should be EZ to get more sponsors

And really I hope they do. Bowling is a great game and just because people don't get into fights and are on a reality show, does not mean they do not deserve the sponsors.

Hey maybe that would be a great reality show for TV,

" As the World Rolls" the daily dairy of a Pro Bowler :)

onefrombills
09-07-2008, 02:11 PM
And really I hope they do. Bowling is a great game and just because people don't get into fights and are on a reality show, does not mean they do not deserve the sponsors.

Thats Classic !!!!!

Baroncad
09-07-2008, 11:01 PM

How about "One Life in the Gutter"

onefrombills
09-07-2008, 11:14 PM
How about "One Life in the Gutter"

as the ball spins ?????

winzeses3
09-11-2008, 02:01 AM
wow very cool i love bowling on patterns not like the house ones the viper is my favorite! but i'd love to try the new ones lol : ]