PDA

View Full Version : ?... unsure but how do you pick a ball on just how you bowl.

donjohnk
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure if i made the title clear but I'll go into detail. I am a speed dominant bowler and lately I have been struggling to get my ball to break into the pocket... I have alot of problems with solid pocket hits and just not getting the pin explosion like usual. I tried to slow my speed down to 16-18 but now struggle to keep the ball on-line. Now I see alot of folks post on how to chose a ball but when your choosing a ball, what do you look for with an instance like mine...

Im a tweener/stroker
throw around 17-19mph
avg is high 160's but i do post atleast one 200 in the 3 games.
I bowl on wood lanes but frequent synthetic lanes 2-3 times a month
im using a Columbia Cuda/C but just bought a brunswick C-system 3.5(havent used it yet)

now with that my games usually fall apart because of my consistancy, trying to move arrows and feet just dont seem to help. I tried scuffing my ball to get it to react more and slow my speed down but it dosent last. I havent really got into league bowling since I bought the cuda and just feel out dated..

Beech
02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, I had the same problem you did, i talked to my local proshop owner and he helped me out the most.
I throw the ball around the 20mph mark lowering it now because its starting to take a tole on my shoulder. I was told by a person on this site i think maine or strike that with high ball speed a ball might be in the high preformace catagorie but for fast throwers its a level down. I love the BlackWidow Venom, and Virtual Energy great balls that do the job. But I would suggest talking to your local proshop owner.

Stormed1
02-02-2010, 01:38 AM
Most higher speed bowlers tend to get best results with stronger drilled asymetrical balls. This is due to stronger core strenght creating more flare and helping the ball to slow down faster and thereby match speed and rev rate quicker and thereby creating the hook needed.

donjohnk
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM
heres my ball/layout...

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2299/csystem35.jpg

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/2299/csystem35.jpg

JAnderson
02-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Surface adjustments can make a huge difference in ball reaction. Speed dominant players will generally find dull or sanded equipment to be a better match to their game.

jakester
02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
look for a dull surface and us a layout that will guarantee that your ball starts rolling sooner, maybe a dual thumb... you may also try playin outside the second arrow. Most flooded house shots leave the area out side the 7th board drier. I'd bet if yiou can play the first aroow your carry will improve withour doing anything else.

trizzypballr
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Not sure about everyone else, but I notice that If I throw straight down lets say the 5, I seem to leave a 7 pin more often than not (Im a lefty) But I noticed if I swing it just alittle bit, say from the 10 out to the 5, I seem to carry the corner pins better. Im assuming its because the ball is entering the pocket at a slightly different angle?

Just a side note on speed. Im not to sure the speed is really your problem, because I throw around 17 and usually have more problem with to much hook than not enough. It really all comes down to how your equipment is drilled to roll, and if your staying behind the ball. A buddy of mine that I bowl with struggles to hook anything, and he is constantly buying high performance balls. His whole issue is he comes around the ball. The best thing to do would be talk to a local pro shop guy who can watch you actually roll your ball, and see if he has any pointers. He will also then know how to drill a new ball up for you after seeing how you throw the ball. Good luck and hope your crushing the pocket again soon!