PDA

View Full Version : Finger inserts

nickcuban
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello all, it's been a LONGGGGG time since I have been here... Lots of things have been going on, but now I have time to do fun things again. I joined another league and I want to change the inserts for my fingers. The ones that are in there seem too big. Is this something that is easy to do? Seems like I could just cut them out and glue new ones in. The next problem is what size inserts to buy? Is there an easy way to figure it out?

Graaille
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Not very difficult at all. Most inserts have a labelling system on them - pull out the ones that are currently in there - check out the markings, and then drop down one or two sizes (each size usually equals 1/64th of an inch). Scrape down the hole to remove any prior residue (I use a dremel with a polishing attachment after I scrape w/a pocketknife), a dab of superglue on one side and put in the insert. After that's had a moment to grip, you can either put another drop directly across from the first one, or leave it as just one and have them work like vaccu-grips.

nickcuban
02-03-2010, 07:46 PM
How do you get the old ones out? Take a hook razor and cut one side and pull them out? Also what brand do you recommend I buy?

Graaille
02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
I use a small bladed pocketknife and a nail to wedge between the insert and the sidewall of the ball. Use the nail to go down the length of the grip where it isn't glued, then work out the glue spots with the knife blade. As far as what to buy - I'd say pull out the ones you have and then buy the same brand - just a size or two smaller. One other thing to keep in mind is that grips wear out and stretch - it may be that you need the same size.

Stormed1
02-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Grips are like the oil on your car. They need to be changes at regular intervals. On the average it's about every 60 games. See your pro shop and have them fit you with the proper size grips. You can then note the size and get your replacements for future use and then change them yourself the next time you need to

nickcuban
02-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Well I went bowling last night and stopped in the proshop. I asked how much it is to change out both finger inserts and he said it was $10 total so I had him go ahead and do it, so he did it right there while I waited and I used the ball 5 minutes after asking him to do it.. I looked online and it seems like I can get the inserts for around $8, but for the extra $2 I would rather him do it.

Graaille
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM
There are places to get them for less, but unless you're going to be changing out a couple dozen of them, your plan may be the best one. The place I get them from is 50 grips for $80 - but then I'm putting them in all my bowling balls, and changing them in about a dozen on a regular basis.

nickcuban
02-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah I really only will need them changed out in one ball... maybe two.