PDA

View Full Version : How to build arm strength?

Tony in Iowa
02-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I bowled my first game in 8 years with a 15 lbs ball just like I used to. I got through 2 games ok and went home. Later that night I went to a different alley and was planning to bowl another couple of games and found I was so sore from earlier I couldn't hold my ball anymore... So in other words I'm really out of shape. Which exercise or workout would be good to get my arm strength back to par? Should I be doing pushups? :confused:

Any advice is appreciated.

mrbill
02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
HI TONY Welcome to the Boards...
I was having that problem 2 years ago.
All I can say and to make a long story short is practice practice practice practice practice.
I started with a 156 avg commin in in 08 and today I have a 187 avg. I try to practice everyday if my thumb allows but in my case with 1 back operation and 60% use of my left foot/leg I'm getting stronger and stronger and better and better.
Here are other thinngs I've done to bowl better when not bowling.>
1) Deep Knee Bends
2) lunges
3) curls with a rubber grip straps
4) Bend and thrusts
5) Stretch
6) Keep hands from getting chaped and dry
7) keep knees well rested
8) cardio
Well I guess thats not as short as I thought it would be lol
Good luck and never give up...........

Drano
02-04-2010, 01:22 AM
I bowled my first game in 8 years with a 15 lbs ball just like I used to. I got through 2 games ok and went home. Later that night I went to a different alley and was planning to bowl another couple of games and found I was so sore from earlier I couldn't hold my ball anymore... So in other words I'm really out of shape. Which exercise or workout would be good to get my arm strength back to par? Should I be doing pushups? :confused:

Any advice is appreciated.

I used to get really sore too. After a few months of bowling a few games a day or so, I eventually got used to it and I no longer get sore from bowling. Well my thumb still gets sore after 20-30 games or so but yeah..

kd7one
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Practice and concentrate on the proper form. This creates strength and muscle memory.

WAC4504
02-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey Tony, here's what I did, due to foot surgery I was unable to walk the approach to bowl so........ I started by sitting in a chair and swinging the ball freely, at the end of each swing I would curl it with the wrist. And of course this is something you can do at home with no one staring at you. For me the next step was sitting in a chair on the approach throwing the ball with absolutely nothing free arm swing but, since you can walk you can stand at the foul line and swing from there. Make sure that you don't try to help the ball with your body. What I would do is try to get as close to my release stance as possible, push the ball straight out level with the floor and let the weight of the ball do the rest. You will find that the ball does most of the work and you can work on your back swing as well. Of course I recomend doing this when the ally isn't very crowded. Good luck and good bowling
Bill

JohnMc
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Push ups is always good to build strength, but while you build strength its important you keep up the practice, and in time you will not feel it any more

orlando Bachelor Parties (http://www.royallimousine.com/) | orlando limousine service (http://www.royallimousine.com/)

mrbill
02-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Hey Tony, here's what I did, due to foot surgery I was unable to walk the approach to bowl so........ I started by sitting in a chair and swinging the ball freely, at the end of each swing I would curl it with the wrist. And of course this is something you can do at home with no one staring at you. For me the next step was sitting in a chair on the approach throwing the ball with absolutely nothing free arm swing but, since you can walk you can stand at the foul line and swing from there. Make sure that you don't try to help the ball with your body. What I would do is try to get as close to my release stance as possible, push the ball straight out level with the floor and let the weight of the ball do the rest. You will find that the ball does most of the work and you can work on your back swing as well. Of course I recomend doing this when the ally isn't very crowded. Good luck and good bowling
Bill

Over here in orlando at my lanes we get 2 hrs twice a week of free bowling, I am gonna Ues your arm swing drills for 30 mins at the start of my practice.
I know this will help me forcing my swing and looseing my ball in my back swing aswell.
Thanks alot for this info, I know it will help me and any one else who trys it greatly:)

Phil
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
i'm a not quite certified yet personal training type guy thingy..... but there is nothing wrong with lifting weights...... and even running (if knees can't handle running biking on a stationary is really good with way less impact........ just a thought

nathan
02-15-2010, 02:48 AM
I started bowling last fall and I have a weak arm and wrist, too. I'm using a 15 lb (like my ball) dumbbell and I always bowl a few games after I get tired just to build up strength and endurance. Bowling 5-10 games on Saturday (unlimited games for $8 :D) makes my 3 games on Tuesday night league easy. My advice would simply be to bowl more. When I start to get tired, I bowl another 2 or 3 games. My scores are usually lower (or really high - go figure :rolleyes:) in those last games, but it has helped my arm strength a lot.

To you more experienced bowlers, please tell me if this is not a good idea. I'd hate to be giving bad advice.

J Anderson
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I started bowling last fall and I have a weak arm and wrist, too. I'm using a 15 lb (like my ball) dumbbell and I always bowl a few games after I get tired just to build up strength and endurance. Bowling 5-10 games on Saturday (unlimited games for $8 :D) makes my 3 games on Tuesday night league easy. My advice would simply be to bowl more. When I start to get tired, I bowl another 2 or 3 games. My scores are usually lower (or really high - go figure :rolleyes:) in those last games, but it has helped my arm strength a lot.

To you more experienced bowlers, please tell me if this is not a good idea. I'd hate to be giving bad advice.

As long as you can tell the difference between the soreness of a 'good workout' and the pain of staining ligaments and tendons it's not a bad idea idea. Some coaches advise stopping when you get tired to avoid getting into bad habits with your technique. On the other hand, I was watching an old teaching video recently where Earl Anthony advised new bowlers to push themselves to bowl another game or two after they started to feel tired. Who am I to argue with the greatest professional bowler ever?

nathan
02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Strangely, I never feel pain when bowling, just fatigue after about 5-6 games and some soreness the next day if bowl 10+ games (which is way too many.) I hate quitting with a bad score, so I tend to keep bowling after I should have stopped. My local center has unlimited bowling for $8 on Saturday, which is nice but makes it hard to stop. So that much is probably not good, but an extra 2-3 games is helpful.

Jord_84
02-15-2010, 09:51 PM
I've been doing pushups and lots of reps with barbells to tone my arms. I've also been doing yoga followed by jogging or 20 minutes on the stair stepper. 5 days a week.

I've only been doing this routine for a month but its made a drastic improvement in my game.

Jord_84
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
I also agree with what everyone has said about practice. When I started back on a league 2 years ago...I'd go in on Saturday and crank out 6 games in about an hour. Felt like I was going to keel over afterwards...but I built up endurance quick.

McMike
02-17-2010, 03:18 AM
If you are able to do pull ups on the roman ring or just a bar and able to pull up your own weight sure to build arm strength, but continue practice.

seattle limo on hire (http://www.seattle4hirelimo.com) | seattle limousine service (http://www.seattle4hirelimo.com) | seattle town car 4hire (http://www.seattle4hirelimo.com) | 4 hire transportation (http://www.seattle4hirelimo.com)

MelodyLove
03-03-2010, 10:04 AM
regular practice will make you perfect.

childcare northridge (http://www.melodys-daycare.com) | melody's daycare (http://www.melodys-daycare.com)

zen
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Forearm Wrist Curls are a good exercise.

RCL
03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't think you really need to do weights but some free hand does not hurt, but regular practice is a must.