PDA

View Full Version : What it takes to be a good coach

Motiv Girl
02-10-2010, 09:51 PM
The roles that you will find you undertake as a coach will be many and varied and you will find at some stage in your coaching career that you will be, but not limited to:

Advisor - Advising athletes on the training to be conducted and suitable kit and equipment.
Assessor - Assessing athletes performance in training and in competition
Counselor - Resolving emotional problems on the basis that sharing anxieties can be both relieving and reassuring.
Demonstrator - Demonstrate to the athletes the skill you require them to perform.
Friend - Over the years of working with an athlete a personal relationship is built up where as well as providing coaching advice you also become someone, a friend, who they can discuss their problems or share their success with. It is important to keep personal information confidential because if you do not then all respect the athlete had for you as a friend and coach will be lost.
Facilitator - Identify suitable competitions for them to compete in to help them achieve their overall objectives for the year.
Fact finder - Gathering data of national and international results and to keep abreast of current training techniques.
Fountain of knowledge - This may be part of the advisor role in that you will often be asked questions on any sporting event, events that were on the television, diet, sports injuries and topics unrelated to their sport.
Instructor - Instructing athletes in the skills of their sport.
Mentor - When athletes attend training sessions you are responsible, to their parents and family, for ensuring that they are safe and secure. You have to monitor their health and safety whilst training and support them should they have any problems or sustain any injuries.
Motivator - Maintain the motivation of all the athletes the whole year round.
Organizer and planner - Preparation of training plans for each athlete and organize attendance at meetings and coaching clinics.
Role Model - A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate. The way you conduct yourself whilst in the presence of your athletes provides an example of how they should behave - what sort of example should we be providing to someone else's children? Perhaps one of the most important roles of a coach.
Supporter - Competition can be a very nerve racking experience for some athletes and often they like you to be around to help support them through the pressures. Role of a 'Friend' and perhaps 'Counselor' come in here to.

Coach/Athlete Training Roles

The roles of the coach and athlete in determining training requirements will change over the time an athlete is with a coach.

When an athlete first starts in a sport/event (cognitive stage) the coach's role is to direct the athlete in all aspects of training (telling or showing coaching style).
As the athlete develops and demonstrates a sound technical understanding (associative stage) of the sport/event then gradually the coach's role changes to one where the coach and athlete discuss and agree appropriate training requirements (involving coaching style).
As the athlete matures and demonstrates a sound understanding of training principals (autonomous stage) then the athlete will determine the training requirements. The coach's role becomes one of a mentor providing advice and support as and when required.

Coaching skills

As a coach you will initially need to develop the skills of: organizing, safety, building rapport, providing instruction and explanation, demonstrating, observing, analyzing, questioning and providing feedback.
Organizing

In organizing the training session you need to plan in advance how you will manage the athletes, equipment and area - group athletes accordingly to numbers, ability and the activity - continually check the plan is safe during the session.
Safety

In providing a safe environment for the athletes you must assess the risk of: the area, equipment and athletes - continue to assess risk throughout the session - keep athletes on the set task and follow correct practice and progressions.
Building Rapport

In building rapport with the athletes learn and use their names, smile and make eye contact, coach the athlete rather than the sport, show interest in and respect for the athletes.
Instruction and explanation

In providing Instruction and Explanation you should think about and plan what you are going to say, gain the athlete's attention, keep it simple and to the point and check they understand by asking open questions.
Demonstration

In providing demonstration make sure you are in a position where the athletes can clearly see you, focus on only 1 or 2 key points, repeat the demonstration 2 or 3 times (side, back and front view), ask if they have any questions and check they understand by asking open questions. There are times when it might be more appropriate to use someone else to provide the demonstration.
Observation and Analysis

In observing and analyzing break the action down into phases, focus on one phase at a time, observe the action several times from various angles, compare the action with your technical model and if appropriate determine what corrective action is required.
Feedback

In providing feedback encourage the athlete to self analyze by asking appropriate open questions, provide specific and simple advice, limit the advice to 1 or 2 points, check they understand what they will do next and make the whole process a positive experience for the athlete.

mrbill
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Sounds good Angela.
I cant see any needed info left out.
Good read.

Motiv Girl
02-27-2010, 02:18 PM
A couple of key things to remember is ,that the persons involved are in the sport for a reason.
They are here because ,they like the sport that they are playing.The person should be there
for the fun that the sport brings to them, first and foremost.

The coach gives responsibility to the players. In an individual sport such as bowling,the coach should consider carefully his or her approach to giving athletes responsibility or ownership of their sport. Does the coach state at the beginning of the season what he wants the athlete to do, or does he ask what the athlete wants to compete in and achieve?

Every so often a coach should ask the question, whose sport is it? The answer every time should be the same: the athlete's. It is their sport, they own it, and they should have some of the responsibilities of ownership. The coach is there to guide, motivate, help, teach and inspire, but not control. An athlete who goes in a different direction to the coach cannot be coached. It is that simple. If such is the case it would be better for all if the athlete found another coach or another team. But when coach and athlete have common goals, common philosophy and agreement on how goals are to be achieved, an effective coaching relationship is established. And that can only happen with athlete input.

This simply means they make a contribution to the coaching process. It means a partnership. First, the coach must look at his or her coaching philosophy - if the philosophy is based on control and coaching is the "do as I say, do not ask questions" variety, giving athletes ownership of their sport will not work - they cannot have athlete ownership if there is no athlete input. Athlete input can be likened to an architect and client. The client says what style of building is required, what features are needed, what the price will be. The athletes decide their goals, what they want to achieve, what they want to get out of the sport. The result is an athlete who contributes to his/her own learning. When you get down to it, if a coach wants an bowler to bowl doubles at the championships and he/she wants to do singles, you end up with an unhappy and probably unmotivated bowler. The coach can guide and advise, but in the end the athlete has to make some of the decisions.

To be successful with an "athlete ownership" approach the coach must ensure athletes are aware they have a role to play in the planning/learning process. Making sure they know and understand the coaching philosophy is part of this. And the coach must be prepared to accept the athlete's wishes, although not without argument or discussion as the coach's expertise and experience is still critical to the entire relationship. (In the end, the coach has the final decision - if the athlete's desires or goals are contrary to your beliefs or conscience you can always terminate the coaching relationship.) The key is communication. The athletes must know what you want to achieve, what is expected of them, what your philosophy is. You must know their goals, their priorities and their feelings. And it pays to have as much of this communication as possible in writing. If coach and athlete is a partnership, both partners must be going in the same direction, have the same goals and agree on the best way of achieving them, otherwise it will never work.

mrbill
02-27-2010, 04:25 PM
I wish so much that we had a coach over here in orlando that had that coaching philosophy and charged a modist amount.
This coach that owns a proshop tryed to rope me in with a set speach and treats all the players I see like a drill instructor.
I guess if I keep reading and looking here and on the web and around I will find what I'm looking for..

Thanks for the effective coaching relationship/partnership philosophy Angela..........

Motiv Girl
02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
John E. Sather- Silver Level
mail: sathergang@aol.com
Day: (407)856-5538
Evening: (407)856-5538
11997 Blackheath Cir
Orlando , FL
32837-5602

Randy Taylor-Silver Level

Email: pbapro@embarqmail.com
Day: (352)427-9928
Evening: (352)586-5243
Fax: (352)351-5203
Galaxy Lanes East
Ocala , FL
34471-5629

John J.Zuben-Gold Level

William J. Zuben
View Web Page

mrbill;
The above listed coaches are some of the better coaches in Central FLA area. Check them out.

Below;
These is a few more tips on what good coaches should be able to do.

Before communicating with an athlete, coaches should consider:

* WHY they want to communicate
* WHO they wish to communicate with
* WHERE and WHEN the message could best be delivered
* WHAT is it that they want to communicate
* HOW they are going to communicate the information

Effective communication contains six elements:
Clear Ensure that the information is presented clearly
Concise Be concise, do not lose the message by being long winded
Correct Be accurate, avoid giving misleading information
Complete Give all the information and not just part of it
Courteous Be polite and non-threatening, avoid conflict
Constructive Be positive, avoid being critical and negative

Zoomie
02-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Some of the best coaches I have are the people that I bowl with. Every week I bowl with them they watch what I do and when something goes wrong and I dont know what it was they will know. I never hear of anyone giving praise to bowling coaches, why is that. Anyone can be a coach