PDA

View Full Version : help with new ball

swadding
02-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi I'm Steve and I'm looking for some advice. I joined my first league this year and was using a house ball with 2 fingers ave around 194. A few weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a roti grip mutant cell. Great ball but with using my thumb I'm having trouble hooking it. With 2 fingers it hooks to where if I miss my spot its dangerous. I'm look for help with ideas on how to use my thumb and get a hook still. Should I speed up slow down. Any help is appreciated. Thank Steve http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss12/wadds1128/IMAG0048.jpg

Stormed1
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Best option would be to see a coach and take a couple lessons. Another option would be to talk to the pro shop operator where you got the ball. Ask him/her to watch you throw and make suggestions.

When i am teaching someone to throw a hook i have them hold the ball with their index finger spread and their pinky up against their ring finger. I then have them hold the ball with their thumb at roughly 11 o'clock and their fingers at roughly 5 oclock. I have them hold that position throughout their entire swing. The end result will be a release that will create some axis rotation and therefore some hook. From this starting point we can then refine their release as we progress