PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to maintain your ball?

tj4ndirish
02-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Ok, so I posted about my struggle in another thread. I'm hoping that maybe I've fixed it, but........

What do you do to maintain your ball in between sets? Do you use rubbing alcohol, black magic????

bowl1820
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok, so I posted about my struggle in another thread. I'm hoping that maybe I've fixed it, but........

What do you do to maintain your ball in between sets? Do you use rubbing alcohol, black magic????

You'll get a hundred different answers about what to clean a ball with. After all is said and done most will do a adequate job most will get the surface oil and dirt off.

I like "Hook-it" for use at the lanes, it's one of the strongest around. If I don't have it "Power Wash" will do, but if all there is a bottle of rubbing alcohol it will work.

At home I'll use Clean'N Dull to deep clean the cover.

Stormed1
02-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Alchohol is better than nothing but it only cleans the surface. The cleaners designed for cleaning have addatives in them that help to pull oil,dirt and plastisizers from the pores. Right now i use Power Wash but i just ordered some RemedyRx to try

mrbill
02-22-2010, 12:54 PM
I use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol after every set, along with H00k it ball cleaner, keeps shinny balls shinny and dull balls dull, also takes the track marks out and leaves a tacky feel on your ball.
ohh 1 more thing, Don't use that regular50% rubbing alcohol, it will only take off some durt, the 91% will get some top oil off way better.... so 91% to clean good then h00k it to keep it like new...

rastamaoli
03-12-2010, 09:17 AM
I found a inexpensive and environmentally safe way to clean. It is called, Simple green. It doesnt corrupt your ball and it is also readily available anywhere and at a great price.

Good luck in your bowling.... ALOHA

rastamaoli

----------------

Roto grip - Nomad solid
Brunswick C 3.5/2.5
T-Zone Spare ball

BearFan
03-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Over at another forum there was a huge discussion/debate over this very subject. Seems many people advocate the use of Simple Green and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol 50/50 mix. Others say spend the extra money for a bowling specific cleaner. I'm still fairly new myself but what I find is working best is using the Simple Green/Isopropyl Alcohol mix immediately after a set for basic cleaning. I also spray some on a microfiber towel and wipe my ball before each shot with it. The center I bowl at tends to leave really bad belt marks on my polished ball and by cleaning it right away like that it makes it easier to get it really clean after the set. I also have a bottle of Clean n' Dull. It seems to be the cleaner most often recommended by experienced bowlers as the best for deep cleaning. I use that maybe every 2 weeks or so. Despite the name it leaves my polished ball polished and squeaky clean.

bowl1820
03-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Over at another forum there was a huge discussion/debate over this very subject.

I have to comment here. That "discussion" over at br.com is nothing but a clash of egos. It took a simple question and stepped on it.
which you can see here-
The simple green thread (http://www.ballreviews.com/Forum/Replies.asp?TopicID=255407&ForumID=17&CategoryID=5)

BearFan
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I have to comment here. That "discussion" over at br.com is nothing but a clash of egos. It took a simple question and stepped on it.
which you can see here-
The simple green thread (http://www.ballreviews.com/Forum/Replies.asp?TopicID=255407&ForumID=17&CategoryID=5)

I cannot agree more. There are far too many trolls in that forum in general. I asked what I thought was an innocent question 1 time about 6 months ago. Could not believe what the thread turned into. I go in and look now and then but will never post there again.

randwool
03-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Simple Green works fine for me.

WAC4504
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
I use acetone when I want good and clean, and alcohol in between. I try to get them rejuvenated about every 3 months.

Graaille
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I cannot agree more. There are far too many trolls in that forum in general. I asked what I thought was an innocent question 1 time about 6 months ago. Could not believe what the thread turned into. I go in and look now and then but will never post there again.

Which is why some of the more moderate and/or intelligent people have migrated to other more moderated boards like this one and a couple others. We remember what it was like to have questions - some of us still do - and really want straight answers instead of thread-jacking. (which my post may have been, and I apologize)

To answer the original question, I started out using Legends cleaner because it came w/my balls - worked great but the smell was strong. I've since moved to Valentino's Remedy, and it does as good of a job. Is it as inexpensive as simple green/iso alcohol mixture? Nope. But effective cleaners are one thing (one of the few things actually) that I won't try to homegrow to save a dime. My choice entirely, but as long as you do something to clean the oil off the ball at the end of the night - it's all good.

Strike Domination
03-19-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, unfortunately there's probably 10+ people who just make unnecessary comments and it often turns into an argument.

I use Alcohol but in all honesty I neglect cleaning my equipment regularly.

poflobo
03-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I use acetone when I want good and clean, and alcohol in between. I try to get them rejuvenated about every 3 months.

Acetone is on the USBC list of products to NEVER be used on a bowling ball. I think I read somewhere that it either softens the surface of the ball or it alters the chemical properties in the coverstock and ruins it. :(

Check here for the complete list of cleaners allowed and not allowed to use.
http://www.bowl.com/equipandspecs/index.jsp