PDA

View Full Version : need help choosing the right ball please helppp!!!

boosh
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
i bowl almost always on wood lanes and i throw my ball around 15-17mph i crank the hell out of it though and the ball i've been using seems to hook too much. i use a 16lb resin ball that i was givin from a friend and i average around 140-160 depending on how oily the lane is. I'm in a league and just want a ball that wont react as much to my style of bowling (only using 2 fingers w/ a strong hook).
any help is appreciated thank you!!!!

mike-boogie
02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
one word, urethane! I also throw two fingered, not as fast as you, but I would suggest a urethane ball. It works very well on my local house pattern and is not as aggressive as my reactive balls. I throw a 14lb brunswick power groove urethane ball, finger tip drilled. I try to throw it around the 2nd to 3rd arrow. I'm right handed, so the arrows to my right. It is very forgiving if I don't hit my mark exactly. What I mean by that is, since i'm throwin with two fingers the ball comes of with alot of revs, but unlike my reactives which over hook and get brooklyn strikes or too far to the left, the urethane stays in the pocket. Seriously, check it out, I promise you'll be amazed how it reacts and how you can get some hook! Good luck :)

Stormed1
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
What ball are you throwing now?

bowl1820
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
i bowl almost always on wood lanes and i throw my ball around 15-17mph i crank the hell out of it though and the ball i've been using seems to hook too much. i use a 16lb resin ball that i was givin from a friend and i average around 140-160 depending on how oily the lane is. I'm in a league and just want a ball that wont react as much to my style of bowling (only using 2 fingers w/ a strong hook).
any help is appreciated thank you!!!!

Well I'll be the devils advocate here.

Instead of getting another ball, why not try "Not cranking the hell out of it" Put your thumb in the ball and gain some control of it.

I know a lot of two finger bowlers say "I can't use my thumb! I'm not accurate and the ball doesn't hook!" it's called practice.

Yes the big cranker ball has a wide margin of error and covers up being inaccurate and on the right condition you'l get a load of strikes.

But you start running into , it hooks too much, I can't pick up a ten pin because my plastic ball hooks to hard, your throwing a ball 20++MPH to get it down the lane.

Stormed1
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
+1 as for what Bowler 1820 said. Being a 2 fingered bowler can have it's advantage on the house wall where you have large areas to hit and still strike. However the lack of accuracy will kill you on tougher sport and tournament shots. If 2 fingers were the answer do you not think you would see PDW,WRWjr,Barnes,Duke etc. throwing it that way. Learn to throw with 3 fingers and you will be better of.

Now that i'm off my soapbox to answer your original question. There are several performance urethane balls available which do not respond as quickly to friction as resin. AMF has the Hype , Lane 1 the Liberator , Seismic Desperado, Storm Natural, Visionary Ogre Urethane. The Power Groove is a step down in the sense that it has a less dynamic (pancake) core than those mentioned.

boosh
02-24-2010, 03:56 PM
first off thank you for all your help, the ball i use is a 16lb massacre chainsaw resin ball. i have tried throwing the ball w/ less spin throwing it off my ring finger which would make alot less movement and i was trying that for about 2 months w/ about 3 days practice during the week along w/ my leagues. the only problem is that im very uncomfortable throwing it like that since my game is the high speed down the lane and when i throw it like that i let up on alot of speed. I have also tried to put my thumb in and throw it but again i was very uncomfortable and rarely ended up striking. My over all goal is to find a ball that i can use comfortably and fits my style. i use a 12lb plastic ball to pick up the 6 and 10 pins and so it fairly easily hitting probably 7 out of 10 times.