PDA

View Full Version : Low Track

BearFan
02-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, hoping to get some advice,

I was at the lanes practicing the other day and an older guy next to me was giving me some coaching (unsolicited, but I really didn't mind). One of the things he pointed out was how the oil rings on my ball were very low and smallish in diameter. He said I was a low track bowler and should strive to raise the rings and increase the size. This would improve hook potential and give me a more normal PAP location (The ball I'm using now was not drilled based on PAP. I simply told the pro shop I was looking for something to go long and break sharp on the backend).

I'd like to hear any thoughts and explanations as to what a low track means to me and whether it really does have a negative effect. If so, any advice I how I can improve it? Thanks in advance.

jakester
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
My guess is you come over the toop of the ball with a weak release, you probably throw a spinner. You need to stay more behind and under the ball. Can you get a friend who has a good release to work with you or take a lesson. It's not too hard to change yout re;ease .

mrbill
02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes, Hand behind the ball, Smooth swing, On release use your fingers to aim at your mark and flick or wip or follow through sharply.
Theres many ways but what ever feels right.

JAnderson
03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
It's not too hard to change yout re;ease .

That depends entirely on the bowler. Some factors include how long the bowler has been using that release, the age of the bowler, physical strength/ability or disabilities, and so on.

BearFan - generally speaking, your unsolicited coach is correct. A spinner release is generally more conducive to scoring on a small number of lane conditions as compared to a semi-roller or full roller. A spinner release can be caused by two things: turning the hand around the outside of the ball parallel to the floor through the release (most common) or excessive wrist "cock" (less common). Fixing the former is generally easier than fixing the latter.

If there's a qualified coach in your area that's your best bet at improving your release and your game. The person helping you the other day may have spotted the problem, but can he help you correct it? Actually, a qualified coach will first help determine if there's even a problem at all.

Strike Domination
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
turning the hand around the outside of the ball parallel to the floor through the release (most common)

Just curious Jay. Are you saying the palm would be facing the ground?

JAnderson
03-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes, that will cause it, what others will describe as "being on top" of the ball.

tj4ndirish
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Think of your ball as some hot chicks rump. When you want to rub that hot little piece of a$$ you don't reach out your hand and rub the top part do you??? NO!!!! You want to rub the bottom around the side and stop there, thinking the top part of that rump is ho hum. The best part is the bottom and side.

With that in mind, you go up to rub it bottom to side. Now put that in context of a bowling ball......

As you are approaching the foul line you have a nice smooth swing, reach out, as you are reaching out your hand is rubbing the bottom of the rump, when you reach the bottom of your swing, you are starting to run your hand up the side of that scrumptious rump.................now with your follow through, your following up the girls side to get a quick feel of her breast.

Hope that helps......and if your are a college kid, I'm sure it did...............LOL

Voltin
03-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Think of your ball as some hot chicks rump. When you want to rub that hot little piece of a$$ you don't reach out your hand and rub the top part do you??? NO!!!! You want to rub the bottom around the side and stop there, thinking the top part of that rump is ho hum. The best part is the bottom and side.

With that in mind, you go up to rub it bottom to side. Now put that in context of a bowling ball......

As you are approaching the foul line you have a nice smooth swing, reach out, as you are reaching out your hand is rubbing the bottom of the rump, when you reach the bottom of your swing, you are starting to run your hand up the side of that scrumptious rump.................now with your follow through, your following up the girls side to get a quick feel of her breast.

Hope that helps......and if your are a college kid, I'm sure it did...............LOL

Definitely the best analogy I have heard so far. Beats the hell out of the ol' briefcase to telephone analogy.:D

BearFan
03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey guys, awesome advice. Thank you. Absolutely love your analogy tj, and JAnderson you were dead on the money about what was causing my spinner release. I was turning my hand around the ball parallel to the floor. I was actually doing this on purpose in order to get revs on the ball. I used tj's advice and started practicing the grope my gf's rump release. Made a hell of difference immediately. The oil marks on the ball were much, much higher, closer to the thumb and wider in circumference. An added bonus is that I've definitely added rev's to my ball and it seems much more repeatable. The release is much more of a lifting motion and less a "turn your hand precisely at the right moment" type of release. Is that in general the way you'd describe the way the release should feel like? Once again thanks.

tj4ndirish
03-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Sounds like you got what everyone was talking about. Now it's just a matter of getting consistent. And if you like your gf's a$$ then it won't be hard to be consistent. Good luck.

crump582
03-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I was hoping this would turn into some kind of "post pics of your girlfriend" thread... instead it was just some sound advice. OH WELL... THAT WORKS TOO!