PDA

View Full Version : Thumb insert or Re Drilling? Hmmmmm

Dbonezny
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
My ball is a #14 Hammer Venom,

It's my first real ball and I had to get used to it, now that I'm getting used to it and adjusting my throw, i've noticed if I throw my ball under 14mph, I can't get it to do anything I'd like, namely bowling over 100. I have noticed when I have a bigger back swing, I'm able to get upwards of 13mph and sometimes around 14.4-9x. I know that may not seem like much, but, for me, it's the right speed and when I get it there, my hook is medium late and carries well into the pins.

My problem:

The only way for me to get a few mph's on my roll is to bring the ball further back and higher on my swing, and by that I mean brining the ball just a tad bit higher than my shoulder line before starting my swing forward.

2nd Problem:

The guy who drilled my ball, made the thumb hole big enough for my thumb to slide in and out too smoothly, by that, when I go for my back swing, my thumb is already coming out of the hole and I begin to lose grip of the ball high, like my thumb will go from being inside the ball, to my thumb knuckle already being out. Sometimes, the ball will drop out of my hand w/o getting it to the lane.

So, should I just get a thumb insert or have them re drill my thumb hole?

Graaille
02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
First, welcome to BB

Using a thumb insert (slug) basically would imply redrilling the hole, what I think the real question is would be: Do I have them drill out for a slug, then redrill my thumbhole in it, or do I have them fill the current thumbhole w/plug and redrill.

Plug and redrill is a slower process, since the plug has to sit and cure for a period of time. Drilling out the thumb to put in a thumbslug, then redrilling the thumbhole in the thumbslug is a much faster process, and if they need to adjust the thumb a bit more, they drill out the slug, replace it, then redrill the thumb again. If you've got the time, you can actually test the thumb drilling potentially 4-5x in one day using a slug. If you insist on plugging the hole then redrilling, it could be a couple of days between tests.

No real advantage or disadvantage for one over the other except for time spent.

Dbonezny
02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
First, welcome to BB

Using a thumb insert (slug) basically would imply redrilling the hole, what I think the real question is would be: Do I have them drill out for a slug, then redrill my thumbhole in it, or do I have them fill the current thumbhole w/plug and redrill.

Plug and redrill is a slower process, since the plug has to sit and cure for a period of time. Drilling out the thumb to put in a thumbslug, then redrilling the thumbhole in the thumbslug is a much faster process, and if they need to adjust the thumb a bit more, they drill out the slug, replace it, then redrill the thumb again. If you've got the time, you can actually test the thumb drilling potentially 4-5x in one day using a slug. If you insist on plugging the hole then redrilling, it could be a couple of days between tests.

No real advantage or disadvantage for one over the other except for time spent.

Thanks Graaille,

So much for being ready for league night. I'm going to swing by the proshop a bit early and see if they can do anything for me. I was tempted to buy a grip glove to see if it might give me a bit more of a snug feel in the thumbhole. I might try that before adding anything else to see if it makes a difference.

I've also noticed, I can play a game or two and I start getting an awful bruise in my palm just under my thumb. Don't know if thats part of my problem.

Graaille
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
I've also noticed, I can play a game or two and I start getting an awful bruise in my palm just under my thumb. Don't know if thats part of my problem.

Bruise in the palm just under the thumb could be the symptom of an improper fit, improper or no beveling. I'd have them check your spans and pitches again just to be on the safe side. The only injury you should have when bowling should be a broken ankle if you swing wrong.

PSBA10
02-25-2010, 11:02 PM
The other thing you can do is to add some tape to the back of the thumb hole. This is a quick but effective fix.

Dbonezny
02-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Bruise in the palm just under the thumb could be the symptom of an improper fit, improper or no beveling. I'd have them check your spans and pitches again just to be on the safe side. The only injury you should have when bowling should be a broken ankle if you swing wrong.
lol

The other thing you can do is to add some tape to the back of the thumb hole. This is a quick but effective fix.

Went to the pro shop and the guy said it takes a day to put in a slug, so he quick fix was the tape in the thumb hole. He put about 4 strips in there and it helped out some. Bowled 3 games(150, 124, 118) so now I have to get used to being able to have the back swing needed.

I had to leave my ball at the pro shop because the winner behind the counter said he couldnt finish it today, soooooooo, we'll see what happens next week.

thx fellas.

Maine Man
02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
If it feels snug when you first put your thumb in the hole, but loosens up on your backswing, it could mean you have too much reverse pitch in the thumbhole. Have the ball driller double check the pitches in the thumb to verify this. He can always decrease the amount of reverse pitch when he puts in the thumb slug, which will allow you to hang on to the ball better on the backswing. Just a thought.