PDA

View Full Version : Storm Invasion review by staff member Tom Hess

Tom Hess
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I have now drilled 3 Invasions. Two with my favorite drillings and one for a certain ball motion.

The first Invasion is drilled 5 x 65 x 35. The surface was left OOB. This layout places the pin above my ring and mb next to my thumb. The Invasion with this layout reads the lane 2'-3' sooner than my Virtual Gravity (with a similar layout) with around 5 more boards total hook than the VG. The Invasion has a strong ball roll and great carry.

The second Invasion is drilled 5 x 45 x 45 with a hole 4" from grip center through the cg. The surface on this ball was altered lightly by hand with an abralon pad to 2000. This layout places the pin below my ring finger and the hole down. This is the strongest ball I have ever thrown. This Invasion is earlier at the breakpoint due to the surface change, but more continuous than the first. This Invasion out hooks the first one by 4-5 total boards. Will be the first ball out of my bag on longer and heavier patterns.

The third Invasion is drilled 5 1/4 x 75 x 20. The surfaced was polished. This layout places the pin about 2" above my ring finger and the mb above my thumb. The layout and surface change are to try and make this Invasion read the friction quickly and then roll forward through the pins. I like to use this ball when a hook/stop reaction is desired. I chose an Invasion due to the large core to help with carry. I got just what I was looking for out of this Invasion. I'm able to play the middle of the lane with a quick read off the end of the pattern and great carry.