PDA

View Full Version : Help adjusting from a plastic ball to a reactive ball

berserkerAK
03-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I have been bowling for ab out a year now and have used a plastic ball. I average around 160 with a high game of 204 currently. I just bought my first reactive ball a columbia 300 freeze. With my plastic balls i can aim between the second and third arrow and throw a hook that will hit the pocket. When i throw the Freeze the same way i hit the seven pin. The guy from the pro shop offered a few tips that worked initially but have failed to hold up. The highest ive bowled with this new ball is a 157 but I have failed to break 100 with it 4 times in ten games. I am trying to figure this new ball out but am getting frustrated and looking for any help i can get to make the transition smoother.

zen
03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Try moving left if your bowling ball is hitting the seven pin. I watch videos like this and I have learned quite a few releases with them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVY1UFopE4&feature=related. Also check out this site I learned alot on http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=62.

JAnderson
03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Generally speaking, as you've observed, reactive balls are going to hook quite a bit more than all-polyester (plastic) ones. You won't be able to play the lane the same way with both balls. If that were the case, you'd have two balls that do the same thing and that's one too many.

There are many different adjustments. Assuming that you're right-handed and bowling on a typical house shot, you will generally adjust in the same direction that you're missing. If the ball is hooking too far left (as you've described) move your feet left. If the ball is hanging out to the right, move your feet right.

So, as you've described, generally the adjustment is to move your feet further left with a corresponding and smaller move with your target to the left. Try 2-and-1 moves: 2 boards left with your feet, 1 board left with your eyes (since you're targeting the arrows). For a ball hitting the 7-pin, it will probably be closer to 15 left with your feet and 7 left with your eyes. Moving your feet too far to the left without a corresponding move with your eyes will create too steep of an angle to the point where you're throwing it in the gutter.

berserkerAK
03-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Hey i appreciate the help guys i moved left alittle and adjusted my release with alittle help from the pro shop owner. I had been coming from underneath to the three oclock positon with my plastic ball. He has me tucking the ball into my wrist and driving upwards to generate the spin. Anyways a combination of the two worked because i bowled a 214 in league the other night and should have been a 234 but i missed a spare with two pins flying on both sides of the ten pen leaving it up. but i will take the 214 its a new high by ten pins and im sure will keep rising. Also, I was in a pawn shop and the guy had a Roto Grip Nomad Solid for 30 bucks, its drilled close to perfect for me the thumb is alittle off however i only use the thumb for spare shots. I bought the ball because it was near new and they are saling for like 180 in our pro shop so now my question is should i try this new ball out or wait alittle bit since i just bought my freeze and i am just getting used to it. I read some reviews on my iphone before i bought it and alot of ppl were saying it should be ball of the year. So, im looking for other opinions i figure worste case scenario I can resale it for a profit easily.

Stormed1
03-06-2010, 03:12 AM
The Nomad should hook quite a bit more than the Freeze and can handle a higher volume of oil with surface adjustments

tj4ndirish
03-09-2010, 10:29 PM
One thing that you might try is to project down the lane. What I mean by that is this...............

Instead of just rolling your ball down the lane, pick two marks, the first mark would the arrows the second is your break point. You roll your ball over your arrow and project it over yoour break point mark. I guess one step back is your starting point. A reactive is going to hook much more than a plastic ball, obviously. So you should start with your left foot between boards 32-34, your mark of between the second and third arrow is a good mark, you'll want to project out to at least the 10 board.

If you can hit these marks consistently and you are in the pocket, you're good to go. If you can hit these marks consistently and you still aren't in the pocket, move your feet. If you are short of the pocket, move right the number of boards you missed the pocket. If you miss the pocket high then move your feet left. You can play with your break point as well.

Hope this helps some.