PDA

View Full Version : Why coaching is important

Motiv Girl
03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
If you want to improve, you need to understand the learning process as it relates to your game.

This is a very simple statement. Maybe that is why most who read it will continue on without giving it a second thought—DON'T DO THAT!

Far too many bowlers who have practiced for several hours a day, five or six days a week, and they didn't get even the slightest bit better. The reason is simple—they didn't understand what was required to achieve the improvement they desired.

Everyone knows, or should know, that practice is imperative for one to improve their game. But obviously there is more to it than that. Practice the wrong things, or the wrong way, and you might find yourself getting worse. However, if you practice the right things, the right way, you can't help but improve (over time!).

So, what is the right way and what are the right things to practice? Always remember—if you don't understand the learning process, you're chances of improving may be decided by chance!

Intelligent people tend to read and watch all they can in order to learn about bowling, which is why so many feel they are knowledgeable about the game. To explain their inability to improve, these bowlers believe their problem is that they can't put their knowledge into action. In other words, they think they know what to do, they just can't do it.

Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct for it to be considered knowledge?

This is an important point for those wanting to learn about bowling. Surely you've noticed how one instruction article conflicts with other instruction articles, sometimes within the same magazine. If the articles conflict with one another, then how do you know which is correct, if any? Of course, It could have mentioned one video conflicting with another video.

The bottom line: most people who believe they know a lot about the bowling really don't. Most of their knowledge is really only incorrect information—a hodgepodge of conflicting theories.

The bowler who claims they "know what to do but just can't do it" is probably wrong—they think they know what to do, but they don't!

Most bowlers aren't willing to "go the distance"—they aren't willing to work through the frustration that is an inescapable result of improving a faulty game. Instead,bowlers try the band-aid approach to improvement, which is relatively painless, but is also ineffective because they aren't fixing their faults, they're just treating the symptoms.

Changing is not learned by throwing money at it, nor by practicing something for only a week or two. It doesn't come quickly and it doesn't come without effort, yet bowlers seem to think (or maybe hope) that it will. If you want to improve, be prepared—you will throw the ball badly and your swing will feel very awkward and uncomfortable until you have practiced it enough to develop coordination with whatever part of the game you were trying to improve.

There are many bowlers who should probably not take lessons! For two reasons: first, and most importantly, most bowlers don't know how to practice and how to work on a swing. The result—any information they get from their lessons will be wasted. Secondly,Bowling Professionals have many more important responsibilities than instruction and with instruction being such a low priority, one can expect the quality of teaching from some professionals to be somewhat suspect.

If you do decide to take lessons, be sure you understand what it takes to improve. You also need to be selective when you choose your instructor. Find a coach who teaches because they like to teach and because they have a serious desire to help their students improve.

To those who think they don't take bowling lessons, I say—dream on. Will you ever read any magazines, listen to the advice of a friend, try ideas from a book, or will you ever go out and practice and try your own theories in an effort to improve?
Of course you will! In case you didn't realize it, these are all forms of bowling instruction.

I can understand why so many bowlers are disenchanted with the instruction process, and rightly so—you take lessons but you don't improve. I hate to say it, but this is mostly your fault because you demand instant results. You don't stand a chance if you think you're going to get significant results within a week, or even a month! Of course, Bowling Professionals will try to give you what you want, which only encourages them to rely on short term band-aid instruction techniques, which ultimately does nothing to improve your game for the long run.

If you aren't going to do it right, and by this I mean practicing properly and finding a good instructor, then don't do it at all!

Every bowler should have a goal to improve for every year they play, but most bowlers reach a certain level and never improve beyond that point.

For most bowlers, the road to real improvement is just as simple: practice properly—about one month for every motion you are trying to change (and be sure you're working on the right thing!), get the best instructor you can find, and understand that you will be frustrated for awhile—deal with it!!!

If you aren't willing to find and pay for an instructor that is right for you then don't take any lessons until you're ready to commit to the game. Go to the lanes and do whatever comes naturally. Do not accept bowling tips from anyone, including relatives, friends, etc.—they will almost certainly hurt your game, even though they are well intentioned.

WAC4504
03-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Motive Girl you are absolutely correct. I really enjoyed reading your post, 'cause every word is right on the money. We all know people that swear and be damned that they don't need no lessons, and scoff at the idea. And your right, these folks probably wouldn't learn anything if they took lessons, 'cause they know it all. Taking lessons is like quitting smoking, you really gotta want to change for it to work. One thing I have learned is not to worry about the score, concentrate on your bowling and the scores will come. I'm on a 2 year lesson plan, and love it. The coach cares moor about the students then the money, 'cause he takes great pride in his students. I gotta say that I'm a firm believer in lessons, and it's unreal how easy bowling really can be.

glen290
03-19-2010, 05:16 AM
Great post Motiv Girl.
There are quite a few bowlers in our league that are like that, im currently studying to take my Phase 1 coaching exam, and have learnt more from the manual i got last week than i ever did over 12 years of bowling..

mrbill
03-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Good post Angela.
I know I need a coach and I want a good Coach. Saying that I have been reading everything i can get my hands on, Watching videos/Xxtra Frame. I just started bowling again in 2008 after 20 years and a back injury that took me out of life and on my back for 10 years.
I am most improved in my league by 10 pins and I try to bowl every day.
I take video of myself and watch it over and over.
I try to coach myself and am doing ok but I know a coach pro would help alot more.
The thing is, If I can't find a good coach I can aford or that will conform to my time restraints am I DOOMED to hitting a wall? or Can I be one of the few that can coach them selfs and get as good as I want to?

JAnderson
03-24-2010, 05:17 PM
There are some good points in the original post. Yes, seek a coach constructively and make an informed decision. Yes, making changes take commitment and effort. However, be careful not to get sloppy with the advice here or you become a target of your own criticism.

Changing is not learned by throwing money at it, nor by practicing something for only a week or two

That depends on the nature of the change, dedication and focus on the change, and available time and willingness to make a change. For example, bowlers can make a change in setup position that can have far-reaching positive impact on their execution in a single coaching session. Conversely, it can take a year or more for a bowler to learn not to squeeze a bowling ball to the point of blisters because the nature of the change often involves many factors.

There are many bowlers who should probably not take lessons! For two reasons: first, and most importantly, most bowlers don't know how to practice and how to work on a swing

I could not disagree with you more. What does practice have to do with swing? Swing is just one part - yes an important part - of the physical execution of the game. Yes, every student has a different learning potential and different level of "coachability" but saying many bowlers will suffer from coaching is a gross generalization of students on the lower-rungs of learning potential and coachability. How to work on a swing? What if the swing isn't broken and is in actuality the one strength of a particular bowler's game? They should forgo coaching that improves posting the shot which could be the worst part of that same bowler's game?

Secondly, Bowling Professionals have many more important responsibilities than instruction and with instruction being such a low priority, one can expect the quality of teaching from some professionals to be somewhat suspect.

Egads - you're assuming that all coaches are bowling professionals. That is completely not true. If I'm reading you correctly, your point later on is better stated: find a coach that enjoys coaching and is dedicated to it or you may not receive the quality of instruction you seek.

If you aren't going to do it right, and by this I mean practicing properly

Which is? One could make the argument that if you don't offer full information, don't post the advice. At least point the reader in the right direction. Otherwise you're shouting "fire" in a movie theater just after turning off the lights on all the "Exit" signs.