PDA

View Full Version : New but taking seriously

BearClaw1973
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Hello All,
My name is Dave. Recently gotten into Bowling and love it. Had my first lesson last weekend and had a blast. Got my own ball "Columbia 300 Freeze" and trying to practice at least three days a week. Wanting to someday join a league but content learning on my own at this time. Theres a TON of information on this site and I intend to take full advantage of it. I`m 36yrs old and smart enough to take advice from anyone whatever the age if they know more about a subject than I do. Thank you for your time...

PSBA10
03-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Welcome to the site Dave. Remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Anything you want to know, I'm sure someone here will have the answer.

mrbill
03-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Welcome Dave.
Q&A is our thing....................

Stormed1
03-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the "family" Dave

BearClaw1973
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Thank you. Right now I have plenty to keep me busy reading what is already available. Have a good day guys.

Zoomie
03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Dont wait to join a league! Half the fun of learning to bowl is having fun doing it. And by joining a league you kill two birds with one stone. You will get better as you bowl but make friends and above all HAVE FUN. Welcome

BearClaw1973
03-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I understand what you mean but I feel I need to be able to "hold my own" on a team. Right now I am very inconsistent. Hopefully it wont take long. Example: My last practice I bowled a 149 149 96. I just need more practice hitting my mark and spares. That and I don't really have any Bowler friends so I would have to join an existing team or something like that. I don't want to be "that guy" on the team just yet:D Thanks

PSBA10
03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Thats what there are handicap leagues. There are several bowlers in my Thursday league who average now in the 130's. The beginning of the year they had trouble breaking 100. They are fun to be around, and they are having fun and learning at the same time. Don't worry about holding your own. Join a league and have fun learning the sport we all here love.

Zoomie
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Listen to PSBA10, you will get better as you bowl but remember that handicapped leagues are made to give even the lowest average bowler a chance to beat the best. I would rather bowl a guy that averages 230 than a guy that averages 130 because on any given day the 130 bowler can string a couple together and kill me. Where as the 230 bowler has to be on his game all the time. Hang aroud the alley and just sub (free bowling) and then next year put out that you are looking to get on a team permenantly. There are always going to be people giving you advice and I am going to be one....Listen to what everyone has to say. The more people that repeat the same statement its probably true. When it sounds far fetched it usually is...

BearClaw1973
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys. I`ll look into it. I think a new league is starting in April. We`ll see if I can get in.

WAC4504
03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Welcome Dave, and once again join a league. Trust me there are teams that would love to have you and your handicap, I know I would. Think about this, if you bowl a 200 by accident or not with a 130 average it's the same as 280ish using 90% of 220. You said you were taking lessons I believe, if that's the case then you'll be bowling 200 in no time. So where in TN are you maybe some day we can bowl a tournament together? Take care, have fun, and take advantage of that low average while you can.

BearClaw1973
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks WAC4504,
To be honest I don't really know how "League" works. I understand competing against other teams but unsure how teams are put together. I mean do you Bowl a few games before league starts so as to get an average so teams are put together fairly or are Bowlers of all skill levels teamed up with the handicap system. I can see where if I blew it in the beginning and got better that would be a disadvantage to other teams. I don't know maybe you can explain better please. I live in Franklin Tennessee just south of Nashville. The local Bowling Center is nice but small, I think its only 23 lanes. I am taking lessons from the House Pro but I`ve only had one. My Teacher has helped me from time to time though but I`m at the point where its practice practice practice. When I get my approach, release, aim and stuff like that down we`ll have another to fine tune and other things. Right now I can feel him standing behind me watching. I look back and he gives a motion like hes shooting skeet implying I`m pulling the ball..lol I`m having a good time. This hobby is a lot of fun and way cheaper than a Harley or Bass Boat:D. Thanks and have a good day.

WAC4504
03-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Dave, let me try to explain league a little better being as how I still remember my confusion with it. Joining a league is real simple and easy to do, just find a team, or a group of people you would like to bowl with and make your own team, and join the league. All leagues have a meeting before they start the season so just show up at the meeting and register your teem or if you can register your teem ahead of time by using the flyer they always put out. Now the league meeting is to lay out the rules, introduce the leaders of the league, set the dates for holidays and so forth, and basic organizational stuff. From there you choose a name and are given a team number and you're ready to bowl. Whether you bowl the same day as the meeting or the week after all you have to do is show up and they will let you know who and where you are bowling that night. At that time you will be expected to pay not only for that days league fees but also a USBC sanction fee of 18.00 if the league is sanctioned. This is a once a year fee and is well worth it Bowl.com will answer your questions about the USBC---http://www.bowl.com/ As for the average that you set the first night you bowl and your handicap will be figured up the same night. You will find that the further you get into the season the harder it is to change your average. The reason is because your average is your total number of pins ( every one of your scores added together ) divided by your total number of games you have bowled. So if you have 1800 pins after 4 weeks your average would be 150. Your handicap depends on what formula the league wants to use, for example my league uses 90% of 220 which means you would subtract 150 from 220 which would be 70 then multiply that number by 90% which would give you a handicap of 63. Now every game you bowl in league you automatically have 63 pins added to your score. Now you figure that you bowl against someone with a 221 average, and you bowl a 200, now you just bowled a 263, and they must now bowl 43 pins over there average just to mach yours. At the end of the season most leagues if they're money leagues will have a small tournament just for fun and then do pay out. That means that at the end of the league you get money back depending on how well you did. For example they would pay so much for each point, for us every game you won was 1 point. Last year we were league champs and got quite a bit back. But the best part of it is you get to have fun, bowl with the lights on, bowl with people that know lane courtesy, make lots of new friends, and grow your skill at the same time. I hope this helps 'cause I know I didn't want to ask to many questions when I started a league so that I wouldn't look stupid. If there's any thing I may have left out or any questions at all please ask, remember there's no such thing as a stupid question. Join a league you'll love it.

BearClaw1973
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
That explains a lot Thank you. First: I`m sorry to the moderators as this post has gone in a different direction than just Introductions. OK, heres the deal, I do have friends that Bowl but their in other towns and cities. I`m kinda on my own, moved here not long ago. This means I would have to be paired with another team I guess. How would that work?

jboarei
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
on the flyers they have at the bowling alleys, they have different options on how to fill them out, you can usually write on their new bowler to league bowling and they will either tell you to attend the meeting, and then assign you to a team that is looking for an extra bowler to fill their squad.

WAC4504
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Well Dave, it sounds like you're going to make lots of new friends, and of all people to make friends with, bowlers have gotta be the best. Have fun

tomg2100
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
welcome to the site i've just started on the site but i have been bowling for a few years.
heres a question for everyone,how come if your ayounger bowler say 13 you start off with a polyester ball
but if your older you usally start off with a ball that hooks? Is it because of when your older you put
more power on the ball?