PDA

View Full Version : wrist help

Adam26
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
so i have decided that i just cant keep my wrist it the right posittion as soon as i drove my arm into the swing my wrist breaks back and i was thinking of getting a support but can you use them during all play or is there a rule ageist some kinds of supports i have a real hard time geting more revs on my ball becasue of this so if there is and oil on the lanes i have a hard time getting to the pocket any help would be nice

bowl1820
03-07-2010, 04:09 PM
For all the years I've been bowling, I've never seen a rule against wrist supports so have at it.

Drano
03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
For all the years I've been bowling, I've never seen a rule against wrist supports so have at it.

Scroggins actually uses one in the PBA, so yeah. Plus I've seen lots of people using them in leagues and local tournaments, so I'm pretty sure its ok.

Zoomie
03-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I also have an uncontrollable wrist break when trying to bowl. So as long as I can remember I have been using a wrist support. I now use a Pro Release with a wrist liner to keep the sweat from soaking into the release. Every now and then I take the release off and try to bowl without it but it doesnt work. I know a many bowlers on my league that use them. Bad thing is I have alot of wrist strength! I am fine with it and average 206 and 203 on my leagues.

JAnderson
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Have you worked with a coach at all? I've seen a single session with a good coach solve the problem without any reliance on a wrist brace.

The use of wrist braces is not bad, but you should know all of the possible outcomes before committing to one. Yes they can help keep the wrist straight, or cupped, or cocked through the release. They can even help with a degree of consistency with wrist position (front to back in relationship to the forearm).

My concern about wrist braces is that unless you have some physical/heath issue with your wrist, fingers, or forearm, using a wrist brace will prevent you from learning a wider variety of releases including the high-rev releases. While a wrist brace will get your wrist/hand into position, it will keep them there. A cup-and-collapse style of release such as those used by players like Tommy Jones and Chris Barnes is not possible with a wrist brace.

Adam26
03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
well the problem i am having J is that i can not stop breaking my wrist during my are swing and thats why i was going to get one

Strike Domination
03-09-2010, 12:27 AM
All I can say about wrist braces for me, is that I don't really like the feel of that restriction. I release is far from cup and collapse I think, because I'm lucky if my wrist is straight, but it probably collapses. So, to be honest, since I'm never going to have what I'd call a dynamic release, I would use a brace under two conditions. If the brace made my release more consistent and it didn't make my rev rate lower than about 250 RPM, that'd be good enough for me I think. Repeating shots will make the game more enjoyable to me than the big hook(although I don't like next to no hook either).

Adam26
03-09-2010, 09:42 AM
see thats my problem because my wrist breaks at the release my hand is on top of the ball and then i dont get any revs or very little

berserkerAK
03-10-2010, 11:13 PM
I had a problem with my wrist breaking and didnt want to spend the 40 bucks for a wrist brace the guy in the pro shop was asking for. So, I went to a local wal-mart and bought a ten dollar ace bandage velcro wrist wrap. I really liked it because it helped me keep my wrist from breaking but it wasn't to restrictive. After using the brace for two league nights a week and the nights me and my girlfriend would go bowl to practice for about 4 months the velcro started waring out. So, I bowled without it one night thinking that i would go buy one the next day. However, the problem was corrected and i havent went back.

Adam26
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
well bowling ball .com had one on sale for 6 dollars so i am geting that one just waiting for it to get here hopefully by this weekend so i can practice with if before leages