PDA

View Full Version : How is Your Sportsmanship?

Motiv Girl
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
True sportsmanship focuses on being gracious in victory and defeat. Good sports don't just focus on the end results; they focus on the entire process. And above all, they have learned to respect both themselves and others through practice and competition.

The true signs of good sportsmanship and good athletics are character, discipline and self-esteem. Those qualities are most fully developed when we focus on the process of reaching our full potential as players, coaches and as team members. Instead of focusing solely on outcomes, the "good sport" is actively involved in the process of becoming a better player, a better teacher and better teammate.

The process of training to become a better athlete makes us want to taste victory all the more. We compete; we train and support each other fully with victory as our ultimate goal. But the athlete who is focused on the process of improvement, who has character, discipline and self-esteem, will fare equally well in a victory or a defeat. In fact, wins and losses for this athlete will further serve to develop those positive personal characteristics, creating in the individual the workings of a true leader.

Good sports handle superior opponents or bad calls with an even mind set. Those are opportunities to bring out the very best in each of us. Good sports can honestly evaluate themselves and their performances, judging their strengths and weaknesses, and thereby opening the door for future growth and development as athletes. Athletes know that defeat is not permanent and that improvement increases their chances of future success -- and their feeling of self-satisfaction -- regardless of the outcome. The successful athlete is the one who can take the lessons learned through the process of competition and apply them to all areas of his or her life.

Good sports respect themselves, others and the rules of the game. Respect, as we all know, tends to generate good behavior, but it also makes better athletes. A healthy self-respect will ensure that an athlete takes care of his or her physical, mental and emotional well-being. Respect for others, of course, generates good relationships and a focus on teamwork.

Ultimately, good sportsmanship becomes a way of life.

Beech
03-16-2010, 12:53 AM
i agree, im always a good sport if im winning or losing. im very curtious i always let the people beside me go first but it ends up they want to see me shot first. I always give people high fives no matter what and ive had a lot of people tell me it was fun bowling agaisnt me.

Paralipsis
04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm always a good sport. Always smiling, having a good time, laughing, etc. As soon as I step up to approach, I'm serious business. But as soon as a I release, I'm the happy go lucky person that everyone (well, mostly everyone) likes. Always courteous to others. People enjoy going up against me, because during breaks, or time between frames, we're laughing, and having a good time. In my opinion, that's the best part of a sport like this. When it's 1v1 or just a group of people there, you can have fun.

wes909
04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
i have done alot of sports and hobbies and bowling by far is the friendliest i have yet to meet a grouch