PDA

View Full Version : Terrell-Kearney advances at U.S. Women's Open

onefrombills
09-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Kim Terrell-Kearney of Dover, Del., advanced to the semifinals at the 2008 U.S. Women's Open, a United States Bowling Congress event. Terrell-Kearney defeated Diandra Asbaty of Chicago, 194-191.

Trailing early in her quarterfinal match against Asbaty, Terrell-Kearney made a ball change that led to a rousing comeback at Brunswick Zone XL. After starting with two splits in the first three frames, Terrell-Kearney switched balls and struck on five of her next eight shots.

"It's a little scary at the start, but sometimes that can be to your advantage because you feel like you have nothing to lose," Terrell-Kearney said. "I was playing catch up and had to find something to strike, so I was lucky when I changed balls that I found something."

Asbaty allowed Terrell-Kearney to sneak back into the match when she left the 1-2-10 washout in the ninth frame. On the spare attempt, she wrapped the headpin around the 10 pin, leaving the ninth frame open and allowing Terrell-Kearney to step up and throw two consecutive strikes to secure victory.

"Off my hand that shot felt pretty good, but I may have missed it a little bit at the bottom," Asbaty said. "I thought I made the spare, but the headpin just wrapped around the 10. I made really good shots and you can't always say that when you bowl on TV, so I have no regrets."

In the opening Round of 16 matches, Asbaty knocked off Maxine Nable of Australia, 227-205, as Nable missed two easy spares in the match to fall behind. Terrell-Kearney advanced by starting with four consecutive strikes in a 212-190 victory over Brenda Mack of Indianapolis.

The second of five U.S. Women's Open telecasts is scheduled to air Sunday, Sept. 14, at 2 p.m. EDT on ESPN. On that show, Kristal Wilson of Lawrence, Kan., takes on Jodi Woessner of Oregon, Ohio, while Shalin Zulkifli of Malaysia battles Tennelle Milligan of Costa Mesa, Calif.

bowlr721
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Congrats to her! looks to be a good tournament!

onefrombills
09-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Congrats to her! looks to be a good tournament!

she a hell of a player and its great too see her back on top!!!

bowlr721
09-10-2008, 12:03 AM
i agree she is a phenomenal bowler but there are alot of great women bowlers out there

onefrombills
09-10-2008, 01:28 AM
i agree she is a phenomenal bowler but there are alot of great women bowlers out there

Yeah and im glad they are getting to show their stuff off

bowlr721
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
yep its definitely a big plus for them